Nomad 12 - 12 Tracks possible with 8 AES inputs? I don't see it.

Jobo

Hello People,

I'm looking for suggestions from those familiar with the finer details of Nomad capabilities. I just upgraded to the 12 and believe I have found an unfortunate recording limitation, bummer for me, and you other 12 track users.

I am using and 8 channel board in front of the Nomad sending 8 AES channels into Nomad. The way I see it on the input config screen, my only option for 8 channels of AES on the nomad is Input Type 7. With this option selected, it limits my 9-12 card tracks to R1 and R2 only - R3 and R4 are RED (danger danger) because of the input type 7. The option for outputs 1-4 isn't enabled.....yet?

Does anyone know of any possible solutions still using the 8 AES inputs?

Am I stuck with 6 mic pre's and 6 line level inputs to record 12 separate tracks?

Thanks,

Jobo

With input type 7, you have 8 tracks of digital and 6 tracks of analog. However, they are analog 1-4 (full size xlr) and return (1/2 TA5). I see in the MIX 9-12 screen that the only analog inputs are returns, two of which are disabled in type 7. If you press BUS again, it will take you to a screen where you can route any of your digital inputs to tracks 9-12. It seems that if you want to take full advantage, you have to route digital inputs to card 9-12 and keep the analog in the lower tracks.

Example:

track 1 : mix

track 2-4 : analog inputs

track 5-12 : digital inputs

-Ryan

Thanks Ryan. I've followed your suggestion. Follow up question: Digital inputs are all red to on card mix 9-12. Digital inputs 1 & 2 are red on card mix 5-7. Any idea why are these red? They don't seem to disable the selection, I've routed them and see meters jumping. From the manual...Some crosspoint selections are colored red. RED items in any matrix page indicates an input is not available (mostly due to the way the input configure page is setup).

Zaxnet is kept off, I have no need for it in this setup. Using 8 hardwire lavs, 4 radios.

12 tracks record and playback ok with [analog 1-4 > trk 1-4] & [AES 1-8 > trk 5-12]

12 person panel discussion, Automix now please. Thank you.

I asked Howy about this and he said that that in the future:

"It is possible the IFB could use up the slate channel and when slate is needed, the IFB is temporarily disabled.

However, It would require a change to the PLD (it would have to come back here).

-howy"

Now when I thing about it I would love to have input 7 with zaxnet...