Comtek Tx in rack with Venue RX

RPSharman

No experience with the venue, but, I would only add, for me anyway, I always preffered to use the stock telescopic antenna (my testing showed me the big Phase rite was a pain in the ass and did little or none to improve things..) and have the unit ( and all my wireless receivers in the sixpack) easily able to grab and move where and when I needed it... sometimes on another side of a home or wherever... I like them quickly mobile... the on top of cart positioning has always been a better option for me personally.... unless you could make it removeable (quickly)..

Mine is directly above but offset toward the back away from the venue. So far, so good (Knock on wood).

I have noticed that the use of metal rack shelves (may possibly) help shield a bit of RF leak between units. This is definitely the case with computers or anything with a spinning hard drive that would be mounted near anything that can be sensitive to the RF. The little bit of metal helps. Try it.

-D

Giving some thought to moving my Comtek transmitters into my rack. Space is pretty tight. Anyone have their Comtek transmitters in a rack space directly above or below a Venue? Have you had it any other way as a frame of reference?

Yes, I have mine above the Venue with zero issues. They're on a completely different frequency, I keep the antennas separated, and I've never encountered any kind of intermod to my knowledge.

I am using the Phase-Rite, probably more out of superstition than anything else. Not convinced it does much more than the telescoping antenna, but it gives me the illusion I'm doing everything I can to improve reception.

My Comtek BST and my IFB are on top of my Venue. Next down is my Deva, No known problems to date. I find in a lot os places my Comtek telescoping antenna works best. Only issue is they break easy. Have 2 back ups, you'll need them or the Phase Right. I have them all. Gary Gosset has 2 Comtek BST stationed into a single rack deal that they sell. Looks cool.

CrewC

Afewmoreyears:

(my testing showed me the big Phase rite was a pain in the ass and did little or none to improve things..)

This is consistent with my tests. I ran some tests of transmitting antennas for the 695 Quarterly and found that I consistently had the best results with the telescoping antenna supplied with the Comtek base station. Of course, that doesn't work well if you plan to rack mount the base station; then a Phase Right, or variation on that theme like a Mini-Mite or Miracle Whip, is the best solution.

The tests are available on-line here:

http://695quarterly....revious-issues/

The Summer 2011 issue has the test of transmitting antennas.

David