SQN self noise

Hi,

I am new to this forum and fairly new to the film sound game altogether so hello all!

I have purchased a used SQN 4s mixer but its creating a significant amount of white noise before I've even plugged anything in!

I have switched off phantom power

I have unplugged all mics

I have tried powering from both AA batteries and an external np1 battery

I have made a short recording and listened back on my laptop to confirm that it is not merely the sound of the headphone amp

The noise is only really acceptable when the faders are very low, could anybody shed some light on what this may be or if Its a common problem I should just put up with or buy better gear?

I'm attaching the file I recorded just incase its of any use

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks a lot,

Matt

sqn self noise.mp3

Hi, and welcome,

" a significant amount of white noise before I've even plugged anything in! "

what happens when you connect a microphone ??

" buy better gear? "

depending on your needs, and preferences, some folks would suggest you have already done that!

try doing some reading here on the forum, and some searching...

Hi Mike, thanks for the response,

To be honest, yes the noise reduces when a mic is plugged in but I still do not feel totally comfortable handing those files over to a producer/director at the end of the day.

It seems strange that the SQN has capacity to put the faders/gain that high if its going to create such noise!

Maybe it could use a service? And yes, my bank balance certainly feels like I've brought enough gear for just now.

As an aside, is this kind of noise something that a post production mixer is happy to work with/ expects from time to time, or is it a total no no whereby I should expect to never be asked back again?

Thanks for your time

Forgive me if I suggest the obvious but....

All microphone preamps will make noise if you turn up a channel fader with nothing plugged in. The channel will be quiet only when terminated or when faded all the way down.

The noise should go away when you plug in a microphone. Of course, with a microphone you may find that the hash noise is replaced by background noise of your environment but that is likely actual noise being "heard" by the microphone.

Christian's suggestion of making a comparison with another mixer of known good quality and good repair is a good one.

If you have access to a test shop, you could place the mike in an anechoic chamber and listen to that environment. That might be harder to find but Location Sound Services here in Los Angeles has such a facility and would, I'm sure, make it available to you.

Unless it's actually broken, the SQN is a mixer of unsurpassed excellence so I am inclined to think there may be operational error at play.

David

• 8 months later...

-and then relate this to tone in your headphones.

Any system generates noise but relate this to your headphone level setting and what you perceive

when you plug a decent microphone into it and listen not in a quiet room but in the real world.

Also are all channels the same?

mike

SQN 4S owner

For starters, I applaud your choice --- I am a big fan of SQN, and own several. 

The preamps are outstanding.... both you and your clients will love them.

Make sure that all faders are down.

Make sure that your master fader is set to unity in the "detent" position and not cranked to the max. 

You will "feel" this spot.....

I trust that you are feeding your test mics into both left and right channels, and that you are monitoring in the Stereo position in the "Mxr" mode, and not on the Aux or Return position through your machine / recorder, which could easily introduce noise to the ears as some headphone amps are rather deficient.

Let us know how you solve this one....

As it is "used", and If you absolutely feel you need service, I HIGHLY recommend David White of DWSound Services.  (661) 297-2334 and / or on the web.

He recently tuned up my tiny SQN-2S perfectly, replaced a few switches that had been through a grueling ten year intercontinental workout, and did it very affordably, without the dreaded long and costly shipment to the Isle of Man.    Evan at Vark Audio in the DC / Virginia area is also very very competent with all things SQN.   No doubt I'm sure I am leaving out a couple of others, but I'm roasted from a long and late shoot day!

MF

SQN Series 3, 4 (x2), 5E, and 2S v1 .......  

Hey guys, its good to see some guys using SQN's, i have a 4s II, a bit old but does the job, i want to be able to record all the channels but as there are no direct outs on all channels, this will prove hard. I am using a Tascam DR100 at the moment. I was wondering if there is a way of making cables that go to both mixer and recorder, or get something like an SD744T and use the main outs as a set of preamps. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Mathew

Hey guys, its good to see some guys using SQN's, i have a 4s II, a bit old but does the job, i want to be able to record all the channels but as there are no direct outs on all channels

At the time the series 2 was released, it was a boon to have TWO channels ! I believe it superceded the wonderful and innovative SQN 3, which was a wonderful front end for the equally venerable NAGRA 4.2 - state of the art for those times.

The mere possibility of direct outs and multitrack field recording, back then, just might have been a distant dream for those veterans -

Just that the cost alone would have been astronomical, with technology of the day, and that reality would have been plenty enough to snuff out that fantasy.

I recommend that you KEEP that mixer, as it is a great tool that you will still get to use from time to time, but do consider the direct-outs-capable SQN-4s Series 4 (older) , either of the SQN-5s, or the latest (not v1) of the SQN-2s all which will get you to your desired goal.

MF