G3 line input

Harris K

Hi All,

I fully expect to get reamed on and told look more, but i cant find a hard answer.

Do the g3 inputs have the same "line input on ring" deal as the g2s?

I advised a client recently to have some xlr-pin 2 to senny ring cables built for their hop, and I found 8 have to attenuate ~50db for 0dbfs tone on the g3 tx to get a clean signal. Not the case on my g2s with home brew cables of the same config.

Did I miss a step?

Hi All,

I fully expect to get reamed on and told look more, but i cant find a hard answer.

Do the g3 inputs have the same "line input on ring" deal as the g2s?

I advised a client recently to have some xlr-pin 2 to senny ring cables built for their hop, and I found 8 have to attenuate ~50db for 0dbfs tone on the g3 tx to get a clean signal. Not the case on my g2s with home brew cables of the same config.

Did I miss a step?

The Senn g2/3 transmitters all use the same input configuration. Tip is mic level, Ring is line level, Sleeve is ground. Feeding the tx a line level tone with a cable wired for mic level would cause the problem that you found. It could be that the female XLR is not wired properly. It should be ground to pins 1 & 3, signal to pin 2. Open one up and check the wiring to be sure.

Eric

Yes, on the G2 the plug's tip could be floated w/o problems.. not so with the G3, it needs to be tied to shield/ground for line-level operation. However +4dB (nominal) is sometimes to hot for the bodypack transmitter's input stage, (regardless of the transmitter's sensitivity setting) I usually use a mixer's 'Tape-out' to feed line level to a G2/3 or attenuate the XLR 12dBs or so.

:D

Would have taught it was the same pin order for both G2 and G3 series... good catch Wandering Ear; I check quickly the G3 manual online and didn't see it...

For whatever reason, the pinout diagram I posted is in one manual but not the other. I can't remember the difference, I just remember it being somewhat hard to find initially. Now I have it memorized so I don't look for it very often.