neumann km 150 as boom - thoughts?

bendybones

Bruce Bisenz loaned me a Neumann 150 also, told me to use it one day and said I would abandon my Schoeps. I did use it, once, for one scene, then gave it back to Bruce. I continue to use the Schoeps to this day, never gave the 150 another thought.

Do you remember what in particilar you didn't like about it?

The Neumann was a fine microphone, nothing really to dislike about it, it's just that the sound was not as natural to my ears, it sounded more like a microphone and less like a voice. When you compare two microphones at this high quality level, both will sound very, very good, and it really is just nuance, tone and character that will differ. These are all things which are mostly lost or irrelevant in the current world of production sound recording --- when is the last time you were in an environment where you were even able to listen and think about nuance, the warmth of the sound, its authenticity, etc.? When I used the Neumann all those years ago, these were things we did think about and appreciate, and the 150 (and actually several others in Neumann lineup) didn't give me anything that I wasn't already getting with the Schoeps.