664 vs. Nomad Lite

Twade

Yes, as if we need yet another thread but given Nomad lite is essentially a 664 so far as inputs and track counts and most of the features. Thought we could do a rough comparison over which one might be for some people over another. I've attached some pictures for size comparisons.

Zaxcom's Nomad Lite does have some nice features like NeverClip and their "soft knee compressor" vs. SD's hard limiter. Obviously the size is different. The weight of the Nomad is 3.8 pounds without batteries vs. 4 pounds 12 ounces on the 664. Sound Devices has a good history of reliable machines and easy to use menu structures. Nomad changes the game with the way the unit mixes (eg. 1 gain, 6 faders) but is it something people can make a switch to - yes, people have - but is it a new "standard" when everyone wants more channels and less size?

post-1044-0-78489600-1349801580_thumb.jp

post-1044-0-50119200-1349801992_thumb.jp

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nomad changes the game with the way the unit mixes (eg. 1 gain, 6 faders) but is it something people can make a switch to - yes, people have - but is it a new "standard" when everyone wants more channels and less size?

Thanks for posting picture comparisons between SD 664 Nomad. Your new topic heading may prove useful as people are faced with tough decisions everyday with all of the choices we have presented. I don't quite understand your comment about whether Nomad is something that people can make the "switch" to, or whether it is a new "standard". It IS clear that people want smaller size and less weight (this goes for every item sound mixers are increasingly required to have in their bag) but that certainly isn't the only thing to compare. You more or less give up on any other crucial comparisons, claiming that "Nomad lite is essentially a 664 so far as inputs and track counts and most of the features" but to give you the benefit of the doubt are you expecting that the all important comparisons will be handled in another thread?

Hey Jeff,

Hoping people will just speak on comparisons - there is so much too compare that I'm interested in the bigger picture comparisons.

Nomad doesn't have the classic faders and gains. The Deva for instance (albeit a recorder primarily) had faders on the front, and individual gains in the software. Nomad, to me at least, is trying to drive all kinds of items often seen on front panels (SD, filmtech, AD, Sonosax) into the software. So, my question is - will this become the new standard? As more mixers/recorders come on market - will we see a disappearance of certain front panel controls in favour or software to make for smaller, lighter machines? Or are there options people just can't give up?

Again, I'm not giving up on other crucial comparisons - what those crucial comparisons are I'm hoping will come to light in this thread as people discuss them.

I'm interested in battery life comparisons personally. I don't think we need to post the specs though...Hopefully that helps clear the air?

I too am interested in things like battery life and physical use out in the field.

As far as lack of hardware options, I think it really just depends on what the user wants in the end. Personally for me, I'm used to hardware for ENG use and I like the physical button options, but like anything new, there is a learing curve and I wouldn't be surprised if one day I liked the software options just as much if not better.

just imagine how thrilling these comparisons (or is it a contest?) will become when these devices are actually available !

I prefer the larger loops for attaching a shoulder strap, but suppose the smaller ones are better, well at least they are smaller, when no strap will be attached, as in a bag....

...and that anti-loss attachment on the great screw-on battery cap is an excellent idea, but if the unit is not in a bag, it is something that could get snared.

I don't see zaxcom products for sale that often. As far as resale value I have seen some 744t go for 50% of the original price.

Trew has consignment Deva IIs for less than 1/4 of their original price. What's your point? The reference is to recent machines--many of those low-cost 744s have already made a lot of money for their owners over many years, the sale price is gravy.

philp

" 664 faders are roughly 1/4" larger "

is that inside, or outside..? :unsure:

" Lite has been available for an year. Sort of. "

664 has been available , only smaller, too..., well, sort of .. :blink:

anyway:

"vs." implies a battle more than a comparison, but in any case, a comparison requires both.

" 664 faders are roughly 1/4" larger "

is that inside, or outside..? :unsure:

" Lite has been available for an year. Sort of. "

664 has been available , only smaller, too..., well, sort of .. :blink:

anyway:

"vs." implies a battle more than a comparison, but in any case, a comparison requires both.

That's OD, not ID - but it's also roughly

664 hasn't been available sort of. it's a whole new unit, different menu etc. Nomad in other iterations has been around for a year.

and perhaps a battle, indeed.

Nomad seems to be the more flexible machine in terms of input to output routing. The benefits of Zaxnet are also a factor.

Sound Devices user manuals are comprehensive, easy to read, and organized. Zaxcom's user manuals are just not on the same level. Just my opinion. Also, they do not bother updating them with software changes, which are frequent. This leaves many of the newly added features undocumented. I find this unacceptable. Also, it only adds to Zaxcom's reputation for making devices that are "too complicated" or user-unfriendly. It's a shame because this is not really accurate, but I've met soo many "eng" mixers who won't touch zaxcom stuff due to mostly rumor mill reliability and complicated interface issues. I remember one mixer saying "yeah the zaxcom stuff is cool but you have to be an electrical engineer to figure it out!".

It's a serious concern I wish they would address. It's really in their best interest.

The you tube videos are nice but when I'm on a job and need THE answer to a question there is no time to browse through videos online. It needs to be in the manual.

Trew has consignment Deva IIs for less than 1/4 of their original price. What's your point? The reference is to recent machines--many of those low-cost 744s have already made a lot of money for their owners over many years, the sale price is gravy.

philp

there was a SD 788t with cl8 for $5200. I dont see how you come to the conclusion that sd has better resale value.