664 vs. Nomad Lite

Twade

So far with 664 I'm surprised it's not possible to route slate or tone to any of the ISO channels. Nomad it's now possible to route tone to all tracks/outputs, and slate to all outputs but only tracks 1-4

I would think that's something they could add in the next firmware update.... unless those are inserted into the audio chain after the recording is picked up. That seems like it would be an oversight if it was a hardware thing.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think that's something they could add in the next firmware update.... unless those are inserted into the audio chain after the recording is picked up. That seems like it would be an oversight if it was a hardware thing.

Tech support couldn't answer that, and said they'd talk to the engineers if it's possible to be implemented (I hope so).

Yeah, it's a total pain to get to the inputs when using the 614. Hopefully Petrol might design a Nomad bag, but I'm not holding my breath. You can't get an SQN 5 into a 614 though! It's too long and has no corner spigots for straps.

Ahh that must be why I got a big PEGS with the SQN5 we were sent last year. I never used it because I was only given 2 wireless and a boom, and that SQN5 in a PEGZ was a beast where a 302 in a KATA was a 14lb solution.

Didn't they with 4.0? I swear they did.

he is talking about the 664.

So far with 664 I'm surprised it's not possible to route slate or tone to any of the ISO channels. Nomad it's now possible to route tone to all tracks/outputs, and slate to all outputs but only tracks 1-4

With the Deva/Fusion you would check where you wanted the tone to go, and I sent it everywhere except IFB. I guess we are in the minority wanting to do that. when I would record tone, I thought post would want it on everything. I don't think I was every in a case where I would have wanted to send tone to camera while still recording the talent on the ISO tracks. hmmmmm

• 6 months later...

Coming soon slate routing to all record tracks.

Slate and tone have been assignable to all record tracks.

BUMP

Since this thread was last active - there have been several updates to Nomads software and the new 8 fader panel with dedicated PFL buttons has been announced

I own a Fusion and love it so much, I use it for reality and ENG style shoots, despite its size... But, I really can't wait to get a Nomad.

I have to say, though... I miss the SD gain knobs. I find it a bit more cumbersome to go into my menu when I am doing on the fly documentary, reality, etc. It certainly isn't a deal breaker to me, but it is something I frequently comment on to my husband.

I also agree with the instruction manual. The YouTube videos are helpful. But, not reference-able. Zaxcom products have so many unique features. I feel that as someone who transitioned from SD, and is trying to branch from lectros, though the cross over to using the Zaxcom products on a basic level, is easy... It takes some time to really understand the finer details/features.

I have to say, though... I miss the SD gain knobs. I find it a bit more cumbersome to go into my menu when I am doing on the fly documentary, reality, etc. It certainly isn't a deal breaker to me, but it is something I frequently comment on to my husband.

The fader panel will allow you to assign the 8 knobs as faders, trim or Zaxnet gain control.

Thanks as always Jack. I'm going to be upgrading my rig very soon and have been weighing the pros and cons of each machine for months now. Next step is a real sit down (hours, not minutes) with each machine before I decide. The Zaxcom fader panel is a huge thing for me to consider.

I bumped this for exactly the reasons Jack's first post after my bump states (post (#209). I don't want to be making a decision based on old information since our manufacturers work so hard to accomodate our workflow preferences and to correct bugs through firmware updates.

I appreciate everyone's opinions on the matter, even when they are heavily biased. Keep them coming!

The Zaxcom fader panel is a huge thing for me to consider.

I bumped this for exactly the reasons Jack's first post after my bump states (post (#209). I don't want to be making a decision based on old information since our manufacturers work so hard to accomodate our workflow preferences and to correct bugs through firmware updates.

I'm not sure of a projected release date but prototypes are being built.