mixer snakes

jwill

I have a question with regards to PSC and Remote Audio snakes. I have a 552 and bought a 10 pin hirose from PSC, the camera end has a short, can I sub the Remote Audio camera end (which is also longer/easier to tie off) until I get the PSC Hirose repaired? Or is it just easier to swap out the 10 pin and use the XLR snake? JHW

John,

They will work together just fine, but put a meter on it to make sure the pin out is the same.

I have a client who was mixing and matching Snakes and tails from difference manufacturers. Turned out the pinout was different at the Neutricon and caused at least one of the channels to flip pins 2 and 3.

John,

They will work together just fine, but put a meter on it to make sure the pin out is the same.

I have a client who was mixing and matching Snakes and tails from difference manufacturers. Turned out the pinout was different at the Neutricon and caused at least one of the channels to flip pins 2 and 3.

Remoteaudio & PSC wire the 8 pin Neutricon breakaway connector differently.

Eric

Thanks for the offer Eric, I will keep you in mind, and thanks for info on wiring, I just swapped out breakaways and will use the XLR ended Remote Audio snake....the camera end is avout 6 inches longer and provides... IMHO ...better strain relief than the PSC snake...probably gonna get a Remote Audio hirose for 442 to use as every day snake when not doing tc recordings. Thanks again for qick replies John

I'll plus one that they are wired differently - I have a merry mix of Remote Audio and PSC snakes. Which kind of bit me since I modified all my snakes to the PSC standard before Remote Audio became the major player in my home market.

They are not too difficult to modify if you are handy with a soldering iron. If I recall correctly, there's a way of making them work together by re-soldering just 2 or 3 wires within the multicore bundle. I can't remember which wires needed changing, (and between and ohm-meter and the wiring diagrams above that shouldn't be hard to figure out) but I remember thinking it was easier to resolder than buy all new matching cables.

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

• 1 month later...