Tinnitus expriences

Sam Kashefi

Hi guys

i've been experiencing ringing in my ears ( tinnitus ) for the past couple of months.

thought it is temporary and it will go away ... but after 2-3 months i've realized that

it's sort of permanent.

went to the audiologist and did a full Frequency tests , etc and all looked Clear.

doctor said , it must be from listening to headphones for long period of time.

the good thing is , when im distracted and busy doing something , i cant hear anything.

but when it's quiet , i can say 70% of the time , i can hear that ringing mostly in my right ear.

any of you guys having this issue ?

any solution or tips to reduce it ?

Thanks , and Stay Healthy !

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Sam,

I don't know if it could help but after using Ultrasone phones for a while now, I expereinced something that came as a revelation to me recently...

Prior to using the Ultrasones (HFI-680 or 580) I used the Sony 7506's. On a shoot where I had to use two kits last summer, I let my main system in a van while using a second little kit for ambiance with the cam hooked up with my 7506's (essentially recording a pass-by). Well after less than a minute, I felt like there was two pistons of compressed air in my ears using the 7506's. Really, it was a hands down physical experience that confirmed I took an excelent decision to swap these for the Ultrasones. You have to get used to these at first cause they don't sound the same as the 7506's, but ears comfort is undisputable. Especially at the end of the day when shooting in loud environments... I consider I'm investing in my earing health by using these, really, and maybe it would help in your case by not ''trigering'' your issue ?

Interesting that i've been using 7506's for the past 12 years.

Im sure its not entirely because of headphone or lets say working in audio industry.

I can relate this issue to so many things such as anxiety , or ear infection etc.

But very good point , maybe changing the headphones for a while will help it.

....working with any headphones too loud can lead to issues, as hearing gets fatigued; thus the issues decrease after resting.

This is easily noted by trying to find out who turned up your car radio while you were sleeping off last evenings noisy partying.

Many folks experience temporary tinnitus after exposures, such as loud pop music concerts, but it quickly subsides, mostly. it actually adds a bit more cumulative damage each time.

The sound of Tinnitus is coming from inside your brain so 17khz is possible to hear. The sound or frequency of Tinnitus has no direct relation to what your ears are able to hear.

There are many things that can cause Tinnitus and not only exposure to loud sounds but also disease, infections, medications and neurological damage.

Andy

Tinnitus is not uncommon - I think some research points to about 15% of the population. It's a bit outdated though, so many think it's more. I have it, as do many that use their ears professionally, but low levels of tinnitus doesn't affect you much, but high definately will. I agree with the senator that if you have problems with distinguishing certain sounds, you should get it checked.

Loud levels of music is the largest villain of course, but it's also very individual how much you can take. Some can be at the front row of many concerts without any protection and still be fine. Others like myself avoid all the loud sounds we can and still get it because our ears are frail.

" There are many things... "

exactly, thus the suggestion: " to have your hearing checked professionally ASAP... "

" Some can be at the front row of many concerts without any protection and still be fine... "

...for a while, but damage may be occurring, and it will accumulate. There are a number of factors involved.

There is promising news, that using stem cell's there has been some success in regrowing damaged cilia ( the little "hairs" inside the inner ears) in lab rats. This would probably benefit our children, as for now, hearing damage is considered permanent.

The House Ear Institute in conjunction with Shure often has free professional hearing tests at trade shows, like the AES.

That little yellow badge (seen edge on) that I am pointing to on the side of my cap sez: "Practice Safe Sound".

The sound of Tinnitus is coming from inside your brain

Not always. It can also be caused by a physical problem with those tiny little hairs inside your ear that help to transfer sound. Of course it all winds up being something that your brain "hears" but it isn't always "inside" your brain.

I have it, loud restaurants and bars are impossible for me to pick out conversation. I played drums too long and and went to too many concerts before i learned to use hearing protection. Fortunatley minimal damage was done to my ears because I have had them tested. Mine comes from chronic sinus problems.

Last December a DP thought it would be great fun to blow the Air Horn on a boat we were shooting on. 160db blasted into my left ear.. I've had tinnitus since. Comes and goes in severity, some good days some really bad days. The really bad days are getting further apart.. I switched to KRK 6400 headphones. Nice flat response and have not had ear fatigue issues since.. My case is reverse, If I listen to white noise or fans, it will aggravate it during the night and sleep with plugs.. Also listen at lower volumes on set and wear ear plugs or some form of protection between setups just in case stupidity happens again..

I've been working sound 26 years mainly as FOH engineer (Live concerts), and I have a acoustic trauma (notch at 4 kHz) and a permanent 12 kHz tone, but with just a bit of relax I forgot this tone easily.

Of course the age has also taken a toll on my ears, but in other hand I have trained ears, much more when I was 20

IMMO is a occupational disease, part of our profession.

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/PermissibleExposureTime.htm

I remember it well. My first George Clinton concert front right at the stage...with no protection!

On the onset, At it's worse, i tried Acupuncture! I had an awful experience where I had a lot of loud whateverK for months. I finally went to an old Chinese lady and she put a pin in my neck, where I've had a not forever, and one in my ear and with in seconds the ringing was gone. But soon after the next band practice I realised I had a new sensitivity( not the good kind) and the ringing would return at times.

So on going care involves daily use of ear plugs, (custom fit) for public transportation, bars, motorcycle, in laws. Also monitor quite low levels and vary it at that. Neck Massage, less coffee, and sleep also help.

I don't think it has to be a "occupational disease, part of our profession." I think it works well to listen at low levels. Often a better way to decipher offending noises. I know our ears adapt to levels and frequencies and will fatigue if your always monitoring at 82db so switch it up!

My ENT doc disagreed with me about the effect of wearing headphones on one's hearing--he said it was just any sustained high-level sound exposure, it doesn't matter how it's delivered to the ears. Like a lot of older folks here I have the accumulation of the effects of a lifetime of stupid mistakes (firecrackers next to the head, playing extremely amplified music), wear and tear (please Mr. AD, turn up that bullhorn! And Mr. Actor--you screaming at the top of your lungs without warning is SO funny!), disease (bad colds, ear and eustachian tube infections), drugs (certain motion-sickness and blood thinning meds among others), and the inevitable effects of aging (there goes the midrange!). Yeah, it sucks but you have to get checked. Every year. And be very careful (esp you oldsters) about what you expose yourself to. I find I can't take many sorts of live shows w/ PAs anymore, or action movies in theatres.

philp

While free examinations can be great screening procedures, auditory problems should be evaluated by an ENT/Head & Neck physician, soon after onset. Frequently quoted in medicine, is an aphorism, that states, "If you hear hoofbeats think of horses, not zebras." The problem with hearing problems is that you may not hear the hoofbeats, so to say. This time, I'll connect the dots. So, until a PROPER and complete examination is performed, which usually includes some imaging study, new onset auditory symptoms, require thorough evaluation, by top tier professionals. Think of, in the same vein as, say hiring Fury to do the sound production, for Titanic, vs. many of you here.

BTW, a 17khz tinnitus band, is unusual, in subjective,idiopathic tinnitus. The "tone" that the tinnitus patient perceives, however, is just that, a perception, and has nothing to do with auditory acuity in that frequency band, per se. Therefore, the patient may be unable to "hear" an objective 17khz test tone, but subjectively, unfortunately sense a constant tone at the frequency.

Turn the music down...

Thank you very much

Fury

interesting thoughts.

by the way as i mentioned , i went to audiologist few months back and did the whole checkup.

there was some audio frequency test into my ear , also some word recognition , which was

hearing some word into a headphone with very low level and try to repeat them if you can hear them well.

i've scored that test for 94% hearing ability which doctor said it's great.

what he've offered me was these custom made ear plugs which i can use them when im in very loud level environment.

i tested these but it doesn't help but also it just worsen it .. since you cant hear anything else , then that ringing is much

more louder in your ears.

perfectfitcustom.jpg

I don't think it has to be a "occupational disease, part of our profession." I think it works well to listen at low levels. Often a better way to decipher offending noises. I know our ears adapt to levels and frequencies and will fatigue if your always monitoring at 82db so switch it up!

Can you mix a live rock concert at 82dB SPL?, probably you can, but the public would demand your blood ^_^

Unfortunately, in live concerts is very difficult to be below 95dB SPL, and in the studio if you want a good transfer have to have a proper SPL, and specially now with the loudness control regulations (R128)

As an safety/occupational health officer I worked with an industrial hygienist who would show me hearing chart statistics - often with the phrase "here's another one." The 4kHz shift was usually evident in metal heads and machinery techs.

All people exposed to high SPL or a moderate SPL during many years will suffer acoustic trauma. All the people I know that worked in studio or live for years, have acoustic trauma, more or less.

I go every year to check my ears, many people believe that they are well, but is not, there to do hearing tests.