Epic Fail again, monitors out of/behind sync with Sound

The Client and Producers were all a bit upset today as the monitors they were watching were so badly out of/behind sync the sound on their Comtecs that they had to stop using them.

Does anyone know any way I can delay the sound only using a 744T and a 442 in a portable rig? The dialogue goes out of the 442 into a lectro IFB transmitter.

Alternatively, does anyone know if there is a way to speed up the image being outputted from the Epic into two LCD monitors?

Even after proving that there was no delay in the sound and that the monitors oe Epic were behind, they still didn't believe me. Lucky the Clients and Producers were close enough to hear without using the IFB receivers. But this won't be the case on the next day of shooting.

Anyone got any ideas?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" Does anyone know any way I can delay the sound only using a 744T and a 442 in a portable rig? "

requires additional equipment...

" Alternatively, does anyone know if there is a way to speed up the image being outputted from the Epic into two LCD monitors? "

probably not

where have you been ? this issue has been around for years...

" they still didn't believe me. "

where have they been ? this issue has been around for years.

You don't want to mess with the delay in the 744t because that would change the relationship of the audio sync to the time code. Since the Video delay is happening due to processing of the output video for the monitor, you need an external delay that will only affect the feed to the comteks or to speakers for the monitors..

The Behringer Shark DSP can delay audio up to 2.5 seconds and costs under a hundred bucks.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHFBQ100

IIRC if the sound comes before the video the soundguy still gets fired

being synchronous is our responsibility

Really? This seems a bit extreme. Either I've never mixed a production that had this problem, or I've been extremely lucky not to be fired?... for video delay?...

www.notmydepartment.com

It's one thing for production to ask if one can help find a solution, but to expect the sound dept. to solve a video delay issue - under the threat of being fired - just seems a bit far fetched to me. Maybe I'm mixing in a smaller bubble than I thought? (I mean, I know it's small, but...)

~tt

When this happens I have A: delayed the Comtek feed or B: made the source of the Comtek feed the audio output of the camera (if it has one, and I am feeding it). Many cameras delay the audio so that it is in sync with the picture output (to the recording). Dealing with the delay if you are in a walking/bag rig is a drag, can be done with a 2-stage hop via a base-station.

philp

Ok -

No, you can't "speed up" the video signal. If they are curious about what signal is to blame, you can either A - explain that you are not defying the laws of physics by getting sound to them faster than a "live" video image, or B - just have them watch the real actors talking. It will become apparent that your Comteks are live and the video is delayed. They should then "believe" you.

If they can't get over the delay on the monitors (caused by the VIDEO signal chain), then there are options as described above or in several other searchable threads.

Robert

When this happens I have A: delayed the Comtek feed or B: made the source of the Comtek feed the audio output of the camera (if it has one, and I am feeding it). Many cameras delay the audio so that it is in sync with the picture output (to the recording). Dealing with the delay if you are in a walking/bag rig is a drag, can be done with a 2-stage hop via a base-station.

philp

Option A definitely sounds like a better way to go... in any case, I suppose adding a delay unit to the kit might be in order... I guess I've just been really lucky to never have had this issue.

~tt

You don't want to mess with the delay in the 744t because that would change the relationship of the audio sync to the time code. Since the Video delay is happening due to processing of the output video for the monitor, you need an external delay that will only affect the feed to the comteks or to speakers for the monitors..

The Behringer Shark DSP can delay audio up to 2.5 seconds and costs under a hundred bucks.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHFBQ100

Thankyou for your suggestion, this was exactly the kind of help I was looking for. I'm going to go and see if I can pick one of these up somewhere. Even though I don't want to buy it, I have a feeling this is not going to be the last time I'll be having this problem.

philp

Thanks for even understanding how this is a problem in a bag rig! I did change the comtek feed to the Epic during the day, but even the audio from the camera was still infront of the picture.

Really? This seems a bit extreme. Either I've never mixed a production that had this problem, or I've been extremely lucky not to be fired?... for video delay?...

www.notmydepartment.com

It's one thing for production to ask if one can help find a solution, but to expect the sound dept. to solve a video delay issue - under the threat of being fired - just seems a bit far fetched to me. Maybe I'm mixing in a smaller bubble than I thought? (I mean, I know it's small, but...)

~tt

This is the first time this has ever happened to me as well!