Brian DePalma's Blow Out

PLo128

Just curious--has this film played an influence on anyone else's decision to pursue a career in film sound? I saw it just before enrolling in film school, and I couldn't help but feel something kinda cool about recording sound. And so when volunteers were needed for sound duties on my class's short films, I was always the first to step up (1 out of maybe 2 others in a class of 40 or so...). A career of sorts stemmed after that...

Though when I watch the film now it kinda drives me nuts seeing John Travolta recording outdoor sounds without a wind cover. Or even a shock mount on a handle.

"Blow Out" is a really cool film, especially for sound geeks. On Friday, October 19, the Aero Theater in Santa Monica will be showing a double feature of "Blow Out" with "Blow Up." "Blow Up" is the 1966 film about a fashion photographer that inspired Brian DePalma to make "Blow Out."

http://www.americancinemathequecalendar.com/content/blow-up-blow-out

It's one of my favorites.. I couldn't stop laughing during the death-scream-auditions, and that finally John Travolta uses the last desperate scream of Nancy Allen, just before she dies, for the horror movie he is adr-ing.... Totally unbelievably funny also the long-shotgun-without-a-zep-scene...