Standard Operating Procedure Includes:

Jan McL

One thing which drives me crazy is not having at least a few extra feet on EACH end of a cable run.

The number if times I see BNC cables coming straight out of the back of monitors and taught all the way to camera is maddening. And the ACs always scratch their heads as to why they have so many broken cables.

And stingers (power cables) run across the floor not laying flat is also baffling to me. It's so inconsiderate.

It just takes a few seconds to do it right. If cables are laid flat with a few feet at each end to protect for a trip, or to consider the fact that equipment might need to move a bit, then I don't see the need for tape and carpet. If you're walking through a set, there's going to be cable. Pay attention.

One thing which drives me crazy is not having at least a few extra feet on EACH end of a cable run.

And stingers (power cables) run across the floor not laying flat is also baffling to me. It's so inconsiderate.

I always tell my crew to leave extra wraps at each end of a stretched cable, both for safety and also to be ready for a short move on either end.

The other thing is, a cable that's wrapped over/over is going to be one stretched out spring when it's laid out. It never ceases to amaze me how electrics will leave these trip wires all over the set.

I always tell my crew to leave extra wraps at each end of a stretched cable, both for safety and also to be ready for a short move on either end.

This is what I was taught and how I teach my team. SOP for me except I mostly use wireless boom these days so it comes into play a lot less.

When I was a boom op I didn't want to be to well tied off to the duplex cable because I didn't want to be dragged away should it get hooked up in a dolly, crane, passing car, bike, bus, train, etc

CrewC