Heads Up, Bad Battery Stock

Bartek

hey gang,

Just wanted to share a problem I've encountered with AA lithium batteries bought through a vendor.

The last two shows I've done my production company has ordered these batteries through this vendor, and they have been WAY expired, the last show I did that started in early october the batteries had an expiration of 3/11!!!!!!!!!!!!

We caught that one too late, but this time around I opened the expendables and checked the lithium AA right away and guess what, they are still pushing out expired batts. this time they were expired by only three months. They also did substitute Rycote windjammers for overcovers, without checking with us first. Kinda dishonest IMHO!

Bartek

Hey Bartek,

Energizer Ultimate AA Lithium have a shelf life of 15 years. My last supply says 03 - 2027. There is also another number on the battery that say 0512 which might be mistaken as a date. I believe that is a batch number. Maybe someone else can confirm this. I'm not sure Location Sound would have had lithium batteries for 15 years unless this is some other brand that does not have the shelf life of the Energizer AA Lithium.

Cheers,

Whit

1. The numbers are probably a build date as 0311 would be a Mar 2011 build with an expiration in 2026, etc. The batteries that were "expired" three months ago probably have 14 years and 9 months of shelf life left.

2. Before using the word "dishonest" in a post, a chance for an explanation should have been given.

Regards,

Larry Fisher

Larry,

Allow mw to clarify, while I do understand the ramifications of calling an entity "dishonest" it was not attached to the battery issue, but to the practice of substituting expendables for what the person prepping the order deems an acceptable replacement. The right thing to do is to call the customer and say that you do not have the appropriate product in stock, like any other vendor would do. Im guessing that this was done either out of laziness, inexperience, or out of the fear that my not having a part of the order I the customer (or the prod co in this case) would go somewhere else, some place that can sell me the entire order. Whatever the reason at the very least this is a Shitty business practice, if the word dishonest must be omitted. What really ticks me of is that this is not the first time that this vendor has done this, with multiple items.

I have edited my original post to exclude the name of the vendor involved, for the sake of civility.

While I do see how my original post came off as a "whine fest" Its intention was to alert the members here that a bad batch was on the prowl. The batteries that had 3/11 punched into them (an expiration date i assumed, that apparently is the manufacture date, my bad) had an incredible fail rate. 30-60% of them lasted under an hour in an SM Tx. Some didn't even fire up the Tx at all. I have burned through thousands of batteries in my days, but never had i experienced fail ratios like those.

so while my original post was a bit heated, and perhaps a bit clumsily written, I do stand behind the point it makes.

Bartek

Bartek, are these in fact Energizer Lithium AA's? In general, I've had zero problems with them -- even buying from questionable sources on eBay for $1.25 each.

I wonder if you might have gotten counterfeits. Energizer has warned that there are imitations out there, in silver sleeves with color printing on them (just like the real thing).

" They also did substitute Rycote windjammers for overcovers, "

Did you actually discuss these issues with the vendor ?

That is really the first and best place to take such issues.

any of our usual suspects would be very glad to be alerted if the merchandise they were delivering were either expired (as it seems it was NOT) or that you are so displeased at their substitution, (or might that have been a mistake as well...)

I would like to formally and publicly offer my apologies for incorrectly stating that LSC has sold or knowingly attempted to sell expired AA lithium batts. My initial statement on that particular issue was factually incorrect, as pointed out by Larry. I have no issues apologizing for an ignorant in the heat of the moment statement.

Mark I have to say that I would not be able to distinguish a counterfeit AA from a real one if they apparently look the same.

And Senator,

the substitution issue is a bit of a recurring problem I have spoken with sales reps in the past, but this time around it actually made me look like an ass in front a client, putting my position, and future work in jeopardy. This compounded by a remote location and the fact that this all happened over a weekend, caused a bit of a pressure cooker situation, if you know what I mean, that ultimately has led me to the above apology.

" it actually made me look like an ass in front a client, putting my position, and future work in jeopardy. "

While I find that hard to believe, it is of course your perception that is described...

but that still does not make it dishonest.

mental note to self (Bartek): always remind LSC: "no substitutions, please" when ordering

and good for you to "man-up" and apologize .

BTW, one of the most major box houses has a nasty habit of sending out unordered stuff with orders (and charging for it)... They actually expect the customer to call them, they apologize, and you return it for a prompt credit.

so ??

instant B-stock, to get around MAP pricing.

Edited by studiomprd

Bartek,

I do not envy you guys the enormous pressure you are under out in the field, the hours you work and the degree of difficulty of doing what you do every day. It is our job to make your job easier by delivering what you need quickly and accurately. If we failed in this I apologize. We strive to be the best at what we do but, we are not above the occasional screw-up. I hate when that happens. Please contact me directly at (818) 980-9891 x302 if we have not already made the order right, and I will be sure to do so. And thank you for the apology regarding the batteries.