Batteries4Broadcast NP1's and Charger

Michael Miramontes

I bought two sets of these: https://www.globalme...-DCUF3-Adapter/

I sold my IDX charger and three NP's which covered the cost of the global media batteries. So! instead of having one charger and three batteries. I now have two chargers and 4 batteries. And! they have a longer running time than NP's. Win!

How long do they take to charge? The page you linked shows "Charging time : Globalmediapro DCU95 battery - 330 minutes" or 5.5 hours.

Mark O.

I'm interested to know if anyone has tried charging the GlobalMediaPro NP1's from a Hawkwoods MR2/4 charger and if they have experienced any ill effects long term??
Works well. You cannot use the charging slots as they do not recognise the battery. Neither can you use the concentric DC connector at the bottom is the NP1 slot as that is NiMhd only. The solution is either to buy a HW AD-8 adapter an fit a BP90 plug (-ve pin) or make up an adapter from an old NP1 which I have done for a few friends fitting a resistor to tell the charger that it is LiIon and fitting a BP90 plug.

post-631-0-97385400-1353657692_thumb.png

Forget NP's. I sold mine. Check out www.globalmediapro.com. You can get longer lasting batteries for half the price of NP's.

I was using an expensive brand of NP1s. My assistant economised and bought gmp. After a couple of years his gmps were clearly holding up better than my posh jobs. I have been using GMP for about 4 years now and they have been faultless at a third of the price.

Works well. You cannot use the charging slots as they do not recognise the battery. Neither can you use the concentric DC connector at the bottom is the NP1 slot as that is NiMhd only. The solution is either to buy a HW AD-8 adapter an fit a BP90 plug (-ve pin) or make up an adapter from an old NP1 which I have done for a few friends fitting a resistor to tell the charger that it is LiIon and fitting a BP90 plug.

Good to know. Thanks

I was using an expensive brand of NP1s. My assistant economised and bought gmp. After a couple of years his gmps were clearly holding up better than my posh jobs. I have been using GMP for about 4 years now and they have been faultless at a third of the price.

Great to hear! I've owned mine for almost a year. I've always kinda wondered how there longevity would be, being a cheaper battery.

Great to hear! I've owned mine for almost a year. I've always kinda wondered how there longevity would be, being a cheaper battery.

Justan, I think your huge saving is coming from using a non-proprietary shape. I think we pay a lot to have components packed into a very specific shape (NP1). It sounds like most of the components come from the same factories. It's very possible that IDX etc have an extra layer of quality control, but these seem solid. I notice a ton of cameras with B4B and GMP batteries on the back and when I ask, the operators either don't know what I am talking about, or say they work great.

I have had B4B batteries on my P2 cameras for about a year. The batteries hold their charge well and perform well in the field. For my mixer, I use the IDX NP-1's. I decided to pay a little more, and I am quite happy with them. One battery lasts almost all day to power my FP33 and Mix Pre-D, TASCAM HD-P2, two 411a Lectro receivers, and my Sennheiser G2 wireless transmitter for IFB.

When the Fusion is in the bag it's a pain to change it.

+1

The battery compartment is not spring loaded. You need to unscrew the knob on the left side, find your way through your input cables on the right side to locate the push rod and manually push the NP-1 out. Now if you don't push it out with enough momentum, it may not be in a position to be properly grabbed so you may need to lift the Fusion up a bit, then push the rod quickly on the other side with enough speed to spit the battery out. Once you put the new battery in, you need to close the battery compartment, screw the knob in (which doesn't latch properly to begin with) then find the push rod and push it in to achieve some tension so the battery compartment doesn't come loose.

What an ingeniously crappy design! ;) I change NP-1's on the PD-6 in 1/10 the time.

• 2 years later...

............ I'll keep updating this as time goes on.

Just thought I'd update this thread by saying that my B4B batteries are still going strong. I haven't had any issues with them since I originally bought them over 2 years ago now. In fact, I'm about to order another extra since my bag is about to get even more power hungry. 

Hi all!

Been using the GlobalMediaPro NP1's for years now. They will charge off an IDX KL-4 charger as well, you only need to bend the pins on the charge slots so they make contact with the GMP batteries' tabs. The GMP SC-1 charger works great as well.

Keep in mind that the coaxial DC connector on the GMP NP1's (and probably on the B4B batteries as well) is CENTER NEGATIVE! And so is the plug on the GMP SC-1 charger. I've learned this the hard way when I fried my sweet little Optoma PK320 pocket-projector I've been using with the GMP batteries to watch movies in hotel rooms...