Audio cable wiring app

snd.waves

Seriously you guys? Knots? The knots magically appear if you pull either end of the cable through the middle of the coil and then try to unwind the cable. It is actually a very handy technique for putting equally spaced knots on a climbing rope. All you have to do to not get the knots is make sure your uncoiling the cable properly.

Happy coiling!

About two months ago I am given a young man fresh out of college as an assaitant. During the day I keep giving him instructions on cable management and wrapping O&U . I am not being a jerk to him , explain the reasons and politely explain this is how it it done and is to be expected of people working in sound in both production and stagehands.

He repeatily trys half assed all day long , at the end of the day he says he tried and hands me a mess not even close to a tidy wrap.

I now hand it back and say try again no good. He doesn't take it seriously and I get tired of it and tell him if you want to get into this business you better show some interest and effort. I guess my frustration here is someone trying to help a young person and they don"t even show any interest at all. I remember some 40 years ago an old lineman ( ok now I guess it's line person) riding my ass because I could not tie a bowline or a clove hitch. I sat there repeatily tried and tried with his expert instructions till I got it , could do it and still can with my eyes closed. I guess my point is, seems there is no self pride or feeling of accomplishment in some people these days. Why ?

Tom

Sounds like you've had an unfortunate run in with an individual suffering from an acute case of "Millennial-itis".

I guess I'm of the "millennial" generation also.. but I did take cable wrapping seriously.

Seriously you guys? Knots? The knots magically appear if you pull either end of the cable through the middle of the coil and then try to unwind the cable. It is actually a very handy technique for putting equally spaced knots on a climbing rope. All you have to do to not get the knots is make sure your uncoiling the cable properly.

Happy coiling!

Yes, but knots like this cannot happen with coils of cable that are wrapped over/over. With longer cables it is easier to tell which side the cable end belongs, and avoid the nots. Short cables, not so much, which is another reason to over/over shorter cables.

gt

• 3 weeks later...