P.A. Playback Voice of God Speaker Suggestions

soundgarten

Thinking about my speaker, I have a question for the group about the stand mount. Do any of you have anything that can fly the speaker on like a baby pin rather than the aluminum tube thingie? I don't like dragging around multiple stands, and there is always the grip truck to steal one from. This of course comes at the cost of grousing, but that is a price I am often willing to pay.

I have searched many grip and audio sites in search of an adapter and have found none.

I have a Jr. male to 36mm aluminum adapter. It really was a stroke of luck, as it was part of something else that was a custom build. The Jr. side also accommodates a male baby pin, so it'll mount on any stand.

It'd be pretty cheap to have American Grip build you one of steel, I'd think.

I just had a playback situation last week where somebody had to pantomime piano "live" on camera, and my regular EON 15's were too big for the room, and my trusty Remote Audio speakers were too puny for a room this big. I remembered my old Apple iPod Hi-Fi speaker, which is very low profile (and battery operated), and it worked fine. I wish they still made that -- this was a surprisingly good sounding, inexpensive ($350) loudspeaker.

http://reviews.costc...ews/reviews.htm

or

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YHTO6Q/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0026JKO7M&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=17ZJM8R5T0DFH4AK5SZ2

This guy works great for the in between size setups.

Runs about $110 at Costco and it is perfect for giving to a choreographer, small VOG, PB or...

It has a radio tuner, Ipod dock, RCA and 1/4" inputs and comes with a crappy handheld mic with an on off switch.

Runs on a built in battery for about 6 hours as well.

Mine paid for itself in 2 days and is an asset to my package.

Scott Harber CAS

This is the way I would like to do it. If I ever put together another PA system I will use BOSE 802s (passive) and an amplifier that sits on the PA/Playback cart so I don't have to run AC to each speaker.

And with the 802 throw in a few replacement drivers and you are totally covered. You really have to work hard to destroy

their drivers and you can change one out in under 5 minutes. In the mean time, the speaker keeps working.

( I had a Crown amp that liked to DC out until we finally found the 19 cent transistor that triggered it.)

• 1 month later...

http://reviews.costc...ews/reviews.htm

or

http://www.amazon.co...8R5T0DFH4AK5SZ2

This guy works great for the in between size setups.

Runs about $110 at Costco and it is perfect for giving to a choreographer, small VOG, PB or...

It has a radio tuner, Ipod dock, RCA and 1/4" inputs and comes with a crappy handheld mic with an on off switch.

Runs on a built in battery for about 6 hours as well.

Mine paid for itself in 2 days and is an asset to my package.

Scott Harber CAS

This is perfect, Scott. I just ordered one. Thanks.

I use passive speakers with a QSC amp that I've had for years. I keep almost buying powered speakers, but the ones I have get super loud, work great, and never a hum. On doc jobs I always have that X-mini II in the front pouch. Glad you mentioned that, Phil. I love that thing. I've had and have a few other in-betweeners, but this new purchase looks like it will be juuuust right for a lot of things; including personal use.

Paul

• 10 years later...

I'm using a Denon Envoi that I purchased a couple years ago.  It's an active *battery powered* speaker with enough oomph to fill an outdoor field, and enough juice to last 12 hours.  I'm very happy with it.  The battery makes it very quick to set up.  Plug in an XLR, flip the power switch, rough in the level, and I'm good to go.

It's not a full PA setup, but it bridges the gap between portable speakers that can fill a small room, and a large-scale PA.  It sounds better than most small speakers.  It also sounds better than the awful Yorkville speakers that are the most commonly available PA rental in my area.

I'd consider getting more of them to turn into a full PA, but right now I like having the ability to pinch-hit a playback system without needing a completely separate cart & mixer.