I am mixing a feature film in Bergen Norway and was asked by another Canadian production company to record some Scandinavian sound effects and ambiences while I am here. I unfortunately only have dialogue mics with me for this shoot and was wondering if anyone on here knows of any sound mixers/sound designers in Bergen who maybe have mics I could rent.

Thanks Guys!

Check with Miles Andersson here on the board, he lives in Norway, not sure where but still... He's probably got some.

And anyways, what mics do you have? You could probably get some cool ambs with the mics you have already.

Thanks Olle, unfortunately I don't have a nice stereo pair which is what I am really after. Just a bunch of COS 11s, MKH 416, and a Neumann KM185.

Thanks Olle, unfortunately I don't have a nice stereo pair which is what I am really after. Just a bunch of COS 11s, MKH 416, and a Neumann KM185.

Actually you have a nice pair for ambiences. Use your COS11's with appropriate wind cover in a Jecklin Disc arrangement. Get a piece of 1/4" plywood about a foot square and cover both sides with carpeting or a towel and mount a COS 11 to each side on center. Not the most elegant setup but you'll get very nice sounding audio. This is what a Jecklin set up looks like.

Eric

post-22-0-32789000-1350741566_thumb.jpg

Eric's advice is great.

I have actually collected stereo "A/B" recordings with different mics, all from MKH50 & Rode NTG3 and other even more odd combos. It works better than nothing. Use what you have And match the levels of the mics, if you're good at what you do it will work to the degree that no one will ever know the difference. It's not optimal, but no job can ever be. You can deliver!

Have you checked for music studios in Bergen?

Actually you have a nice pair for ambiences. Use your COS11's with appropriate wind cover in a Jecklin Disc arrangement. Get a piece of 1/4" plywood about a foot square and cover both sides with carpeting or a towel and mount a COS 11 to each side on center. Not the most elegant setup but you'll get very nice sounding audio. This is what a Jecklin set up looks like.

Eric

Eric!

This is very intriguing! I will definitely have to build one of these and try it out just for the sake of trying.

Thank you so much for the detailed pictures and advice. I will let you know how it goes.

Eric's advice is great.

I have actually collected stereo "A/B" recordings with different mics, all from MKH50 & Rode NTG3 and other even more odd combos. It works better than nothing. Use what you have And match the levels of the mics, if you're good at what you do it will work to the degree that no one will ever know the difference. It's not optimal, but no job can ever be. You can deliver!

Have you checked for music studios in Bergen?

Hey Olle,

I know what you're saying, and I am sure they wouldn't notice the difference but I have been meaning to get a nice stereo pair of mics anyway in the near future so I was thinking this job would be a good excuse to do so.

As for the music studios I have looked that route but no one wants to let their nice stereo pairs leave the studio.

I haven't found any person who works in Bergen, but I did find a music store that sells microphones, maybe they could let you demo a couple of Rode NT5s, I saw they have them in stock. They're really cheap if you want them later..

I think they're quite handy and does sound good. I left them out one humid swedish night in a zeppelin, they still worked the next day with no hitch. They're not amazing but they're good for the price. I've recorded tons of ambiances and effects with them, as well as used them as plant mics for dialog (which they're not super at though).

I'll check back with you! Good luck

I can't help but ask...

How are Scandinavian sound effects different from Canadian sound effects?

Robert,

The people who inevitably talk or yell when you are recording an atmos, for instance may talk in another language than English or French!

Regards,

Jim Rillie

Canadian Production Sound Mixer

I haven't found any person who works in Bergen, but I did find a music store that sells microphones, maybe they could let you demo a couple of Rode NT5s, I saw they have them in stock. They're really cheap if you want them later..

I think they're quite handy and does sound good. I left them out one humid swedish night in a zeppelin, they still worked the next day with no hitch. They're not amazing but they're good for the price. I've recorded tons of ambiances and effects with them, as well as used them as plant mics for dialog (which they're not super at though).

I'll check back with you! Good luck

Perfect Olle,

I will give it a try and let you know how it goes! I think I have enough options here to a great sounding stuff!

Thanks again and I will let you know how it goes,

I can't help but ask...

How are Scandinavian sound effects different from Canadian sound effects?

Some of the animals and birds may be different and specific to Scandinavia... but in the end if someone wants to pay me good money to record sound effects while I am here do you really think I should ask them why they can't record them in Canada?