SMVQ & SMV clicking noise

Kriky

My smvq and smv transmitters have been making a clicking noise after the end of a sentence. It usually comes about 120msec after someone stops saying a word. So between every breath and word there will be a clicking noise. It doesn't always happen. It is very random. But when it starts happening it doesn't stop.

To get it to stop I have to change the batteries. With the Smvq I switched the batteries from one side to the other and it stopped. Then I switched them back and it started doing again. This happens with Sankans plugged into them and also my wireless boom with a 48v power supply inline. It almost sounds like an RF thing but it isn't. Very rhythmic to the way someone speaks. I use the PowerRex rechargeable bats. It has also done it with alkaline bats.

Has anyone had this happen to there SMVQ,SMV transmitters?

Firmware version? Battery voltage?

Thanks

Kriky

My chain is SMVQ - Venue - Cooper - 788T/Deva 5.8 - monitor off 788T and Cooper.

The thing is I also monitored this clicking effect through my 411 receivers into my PSC M4A+.

I don't know where else it would be coming from but from the transmitters.

I responded about this on another post and changing the batteries is really the only cure for it that I have discovered short of sending it into Lectro for repair. The clicking noise would happen to me on a SMQa that I bought in 2008. I have a similar SMQa that I purchased at the same time that does not have the clicking noise problem. I think their serial numbers are subsequent with each other.

I first discovered the problem two years ago and sent a recording of the clicking noise to Lectro whose answer to me was that I didn't have the transmitter gained up enough. I knew this wasn't the problem and I decided to just put up with it and always leave the batteries out when not in use. The clicking would occur fairly infrequently, maybe once in 25 powerups so it wasn't a big deal.

This last week it has started to happen once of every 5 powerups and is starting to affect me on pivotal scenes where luckily I could just swap out the transmitter.

It's been hard to replicate when I am not working and the gear is sitting at home, so if anyone else has had this problem and had it properly diagnosed so I know what to tell Lectro, it would be much appreciated. I'm sure Kriky would agree.

Ben

Yep, I have a SMQV that does it also. The few times I've heard it, I've been able to swap it with a UM400a and the problem goes, do its definately the SMQV.

My problem now is that the culprit SMQV had been packed away with my other 8 SMQV and I have no idea which one it is until it starts doing it again, argh!!!!

I don't find it to be faint at all. It is very audible and unusable to me. It happened to me last night while shooting with my SMV. I had changed the batteries with another PowerRex. It still did it. Then I put an alkaline in and it went away. At some point i feel like all my SMVs and SMVQs have done it at some point. It is so random when it happens. One thing I do notice it usually never does it at the beginning of the day. But mid day it starts to happen in the middle of a take. Very annoying. I wish I could track it better.

I'm using 2 SMVQs and 4 SMVs.

Hasn't happened to my other SMQs or SMVs, just the one SMQ thank goodness.

Will be calling Lectro about it in the morning but I wish I had another recorded track to send them as evidence.

I use Sanken lavs wired universally usually at a gain from 14-20 on the SMQ. I've heard the clicking on my venue and UCR411a. I only use lithium AA energizer batteries in the Tx.

Ben

I'd say it's time to contact Lectro service:

service.repair@lectrosonics.com

(800) 821-1121

(505) 892-4501

I have sent one of mine back to Lectro when the ticking noise became too audible. It was fixed. The new ticking/click issue is much less audible, and generally I can't hear it in the field. Only when I'm at home and it is dead quiet is it noticeable...

Yes, it does happen with fresh rechargables and yes with alkaline as well. And no I do not put mid charge batteries in my tx ever. They start fully charged and changed when they get to low. When I have some down time I will most likely send in all my transmitters and my venue to make sure everything is up to date.

I just checked my transmitters. My 4 SMVs are (I think it is the firmware version) R2.8. I just sent in 1 of my SMVQs and it came back with R3.2. My other other SMVQ is R2.7.

I think I'm going to send these in. I have not heard the clicking yet in the SMVQ that just got returned. I'm hoping it is a simple firmware update that needs to happen.

Hi Kirky,

There is a firmware fix. The clicking is worse on some transmitters but not others. It is also worse if the transmitter modulation is low and there is extra makeup gain after the receiver. The firmware fix turns the the battery telemetry carrier swing into 8 small steps rather than one step. This drops the ticks on the worst units to well below the transmitter noise floor. The service department at Lectro will install the revised firmware for free.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

Thanks Larry. I figured, aside from not having the tx for a week or so, it was an easy fix. I'm pretty meticulous when it comes to my gain structure so I do not think I can make any adjustments there. Once I finish up with the feature I am on you will see my TXs in the shop.

Thanks

Kriky