How would you spend $15,000 on your first kit, BUY ONCE CRY ONCE

FaxBook

Except the Senator who said "It would have sounded better with more expensive wireless...." in thread

I think a lot of us think of the difference between G2/G3 and Lectros. The G2 may sound fine when everything works, but they are so susceptible to RF issues, especially surprise hits, and have less range in most cases. That makes a huge difference in usability, even before you compare audio quality.

I use my G2s as scratch hops, talkback etc but also give them to a friend of mine when he is doing some simple interview where the people are on a couch and the camera is right in front of it. That range, usually no problem.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a lot of us think of the difference between G2/G3 and Lectros. The G2 may sound fine when everything works, but they are so susceptible to RF issues, especially surprise hits, and have less range in most cases. That makes a huge difference in usability, even before you compare audio quality.

I use my G2s as scratch hops, talkback etc but also give them to a friend of mine when he is doing some simple interview where the people are on a couch and the camera is right in front of it. That range, usually no problem.

Agreed. I have also found them to be quite perfect for 5D shoots as a hop. Sits so nicely on the hot shoe and can deliver surprisingly good results for the 5D.

Not to mention getting 12+ hours with Powerex AA batteries. I don't even turn them off for lunch.

Yeah, the battery life is pretty incredible on the G3s(tho my 200cs do a respectable 7.5-8 on iPowers). And as P-did mentioned, as a hop/director feed they work quite well too since both TX/RX are always out in the open with little in the wireless path.

Just for yuks while eating my lunch, I was able to put together a 15K package including a 664/Portabrace combo, a CS-3e with Softie and KTEK coiled cable pole, four channels of wireless, five Sanken COS-11's and three Comtek's too.

Hey, Steve, next time you're eating your lunch and putting together a quote for an equipment package that you might recommend to a customer, send that quote to your potential new customer directly. The original post seemed to be a topic put out to our working sound people who have already put their package together, with some questions about the gear he already is thinking about purchasing. I don't think JWSOUND, at least not within this particular thread, is the proper place to be offering various bits of equipment, trying to fit it into a budget and offer it up to him. Think about it, Steve, would you like it if someone posted an equipment list they would like to obtain and then have Location Sound, Coffey Sound/Trew Audio, Professional Sound Services, Gotham, etc., start posting the deals they will make to get this person's business. It just isn't right.

Ho Fax,

Unclear if what Jeff responded to was a new gear quote, but if you are patient, careful and persistent, used gear, arguably, with greater value/$$$$$ can be had. Fury and many others here know. No need to post the link and exacerbate festering wounds, some of which are apparently purulent and fetid, in several posters herein. The convenience of a usable, top notch, package sale, might command a premium, in some views, but the discount, that a seller, in your price range, might be willing to take, makes the bargain, even more appealing. Of course, YMMV, depending...

Best of Luck

Thank you very much

Fury

Jeff, I read Steve's post differently. Not as a quote but as a quick rundown of what he'd suggest. And he brings up the Sennheiser 2000 wireless, systems we don't talk much about here and that seem like decent candidates to fill the gulf between G2/G3 systems and less-expensive Lectro systems . So that's useful. Sure he'd like to sell the stuff to Mr. Book, but I thought his post fit into the spirit and wanderings of this thread. If he'd built it out like a forma quote, ya that'd be too much. But perhaps I'm being naive.

To Mr. Book's question, the only thing I can think to add is consider used equipment, especially for wireless and your exterior and interior boom mics.

Hey, Steve, next time you're eating your lunch and putting together a quote for an equipment package that you might recommend to a customer, send that quote to your potential new customer directly. The original post seemed to be a topic put out to our working sound people who have already put their package together, with some questions about the gear he already is thinking about purchasing. I don't think JWSOUND, at least not within this particular thread, is the proper place to be offering various bits of equipment, trying to fit it into a budget and offer it up to him. Think about it, Steve, would you like it if someone posted an equipment list they would like to obtain and then have Location Sound, Coffey Sound/Trew Audio, Professional Sound Services, Gotham, etc., start posting the deals they will make to get this person's business. It just isn't right.

Jeff,

I was just trying to contribute to the conversation without "selling" anything. Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that they didn't think a good package could be done within that budget. It got me wondering and I knocked out what I thought might work and found that it could be done. I posted no prices. I solicited no business. I did not post or send out a quote directly to the member exactly because I don't want people to feel that if they post questions on the forum, they are then going to get a sales pitch from someone. And I also do not want to be perceived as just trolling for sales when I do contribute. I learn a lot from this site and enjoy being part of this community. I am not a production sound mixer so the area I feel most comfortable chiming in on is subjects like this. The question was, can it be done with 15k. The answer is yes. That's it. Take your business where you wish.

Think a Nomad 10 would be a good fit for me with its upgradable aspects and the zaxnet seems pretty perfect for the smaller 5d type shoots I imagine I'll be working on. So I'm willing to shell out the clams for it. Also, I think Prosound has a deal right now where you get a free ERX2 which I could use as a poor mans sync and scratch track - $5000

are 5d shooters going to give you a decent rate for hauling a ton of great gear to their shoots? i think not.

at least in my experience.

a lot of them think everything in sound costs the same, works the same.

i bring a sonosax sx bd 1 boom mounted preamp and a schoeps mic and a zaxcom zfr100 and boom the whole thing.

hauling equipment is work. wearing equipment is work. wearing too much equipment is not working smart.

and i dont give flat rates on 5d shoots because the day never ends due to their inexperience in *some cases.*

post-1444-0-00450600-1351098819_thumb.jp

HA. He pulled a Romney!

Romnesia!

Hey, Sennheisers can work, Shures can work, Lectros can work, Zaxcoms can work. So much of wireless is voodoo, and a lot depends on local conditions.

I would advise the o.p. to consider used Lectro 210's and 211's, as well as the newer 411's. There's lots of good values out there for those. Also examine the market in which you're breaking in, and look at any extras like camera hops, Comteks, and all the other fripperies that clients may expect. Consider the need for backups and extra gear. And if you're in NYC, bear in mind that there's some terrific rental companies in town, so you may be able to get by with buying less and renting only when you really need certain one-of-a-kind items.

If you've used the Trams and know them, I would suggest the Oscar Sound Tech OST801's, which are 90% identical and are much affordable. If you're allocating $500 for them, that will buy about 4 of them with change left over. I'd suggest backups, and don't forget lots of mounting supplies and options.

I would also strongly recommend that you spend a weekend with any big-ticket item like a mixer or recorder, and make sure the specific machine does what you need and won't give you any surprises. The SD788, the Nomad, the Maxx, even a used Deva 5.8 or Fostex can do the job.

• 1 month later...

Think about it, Steve, would you like it if someone posted an equipment list they would like to obtain and then have Location Sound, Coffey Sound/Trew Audio, Professional Sound Services, Gotham, etc., start posting the deals they will make to get this person's business. It just isn't right.

Or even worse. You can keep getting solicitation emails from a "specific vendor" although you have never ordered from them before or given them your email address at any time. I don't know if my email was pulled from this site but every so often I will get emails from that same vendor. argh!

" but every so often I will get emails from that same vendor. argh! "

I'm sure any and all of our usual suspects would remove you from their email lists upon a simple request; polite suggested...

" if someone posted an equipment list they would like to obtain "

I think that those folks would appreciate hearing from folks who are interested in supplying that gear...

why else would they have " posted an equipment list they would like to obtain "

I would go to two or three of your local vendors, sit down and discuss your needs with a sales rep and what budget you have. Take into account how you want to expand in the future. Tell them about the kind of work you expect to be doing. These guys know gear and should be able to put a package together for you- If you are spending a $15,000 ask what discounts or freebies can be thrown in. Don't worry- I can only speak for the LA area, but all three places I go to LSC, Coffey and Audio Dept are great folks- They won't try and sell you on stuff you don't want or need and they always try to get the best quotes because this is such a niche market and repeat business is important. They'll also likely know what alternatives are available to make your hard earned $s go further, and if any new gear is being released soon.

Sure you can get ideas from this forum, and having worked as a boom op you'll have some idea as to what your preferences are, so you can always ask the sales rep to favor the kit you like. Also ask what accessories you need- the first time I bought a Lectrosonics wireless kit, I didn't realize I needed to buy an XLR for it, because I assumed that it would be like my Sennheiser G2s with all the cables included. And don't forget sales tax... In California there is a production tax relief scheme where if you fill in a form you only pay 3.5% instead of 8.5%. It's only for folks who live in CA designed to keep productions in California. I don't know if NY has a similar scheme, but for big purchases it certainly makes a difference.

Great advice from all, I started with an FP-33 a borrowed canare umbillical , 2 borrowed Lectro 195s' and an old Senn 416 and borrowed boompole! As the jobs came and I saw the opportunity I slowly upgraded my gear. I started by buyimg my own "pre owned" 416 and internal coil boompole, then I upgraded with used Lectro 401s , one and an smv then two months later a second used 401 and new smv, as I was getting paid I slowly upgraded. A remote audio umbillical, used, 2 months later a set of used ecm-77s, a year later a Sound Devices 552 used from this site, six months later a 10 pin hirose used from this site, recently a used Senn MKH 50 from Trew audio, and always advice from here and your local dealer! In NYC I trust Pro Sound Services, and let your clients know about the investments you are making and adjist your rates accordingly! I roll old school and believe NO DEBT IS GOOD DEBT!! Best of luck JHW