Schoeps ... CCM vs CMC amp+capsule

Michael C

Hi,

I'm permanently wiring an office for corporate recording and training. Great vocal capture is the top priority, and we've settled on Schoeps mics.

I'm trying to decide between CCM 41s or going the more traditional route of CMC 641s.

I've done a lot of searching and reading, and it seems like the audio quality is equal. I can't use the Cut 1 with the CCM, but since the recording will happen at a fixed location with great analog gear capturing the signal, I can roll off the low-end at the preamp or mixer and be fine.

I *want* to buy the CCMs, but wanted to ask if anyone has noticed any issues with them --- durability compared to the modular CMCs or anything else --- that I should consider before placing the order.

Thanks,

Michael

Hello Michael,

I don't have experience with the CCM and CMC from Schoeps but I can tell you this:

If you buy the CMC 6 preamp you can attach and others capsules. That mean you have 1 multiple mic preamp for omnis, cardioids, supercardioids, figure-eight etc. With the CCM you have only one option. Omni or cardioids etc. The answer is modular with CMC.

I use mostly CMC Schoeps, and sometimes CCM. I haven't noticed a difference, but some friends of mine say that there is a very slightly difference. If there is one it is a very little one.

With CMC you can use the gooseneck option, it can be usefull for a permanent installation.

I have use CMC 6-41 and now I use CCM 41 for doco work. I love the sound of the schoeps CCM41 (I also used MKH50 and KM 150). I did not ear any difference between CMC and CCM. I use the new rycote filter TAC!T. Equal to the schoeps LC 60 with great result. If you need only one directivity and a small size, CCM is a great choice but this choice have a cost...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Just wanted to come back and thank everyone for the input.

I ended up finding someone local to borrow both the CMC641 and CCM41 from.

Headroom issues aside, for a static placement in a not-too-dynamic conference room setting, we went with small size and CCM41s. To my ear, the sound quality was the same for dialog and I resolved my concern about not having the cut 1 with analog filters.

Michael