PSC Solice Mixer

Timlin

Hi all

I'm looking at buying a mixing panel soonish and I'm curious to learn more about the PSC Solice 8 channel mixer.

I've read various reviews etc, but I'm keen to hear from people who have maybe bought a unit for themselves or at least worked with one for some time... what did they love about it and/or what did they hate about it?

What did it do, or not do that they'd wished it did/didn't do? How would they have improved its performance/operation ability etc?

I'm planning on using it with my SD788T...

Thanks for your time!!

Rgd's

Andrew

Hey Andrew, I think only Robert Sharman and I use the Solice mixer from PSC here at jwsoundgroup.net. I could be wrong of course but I have not heard of any others so getting many POV's may not happen. I had a Cooper 106 for 20 years that I loved and still use in my home studio. The Solice is probably the last great analog mixer that will be built for our craft. It has 48 and 12 t power as well as dynamic on each channel strip. It sounds great and is built like a piece of pro gear should be in my opinion. I have no complaints and not a thing I would change other than the head phone jack location. I did have the 1K tone changed to 400K because I like that better. It has routing options that more than take care of my needs. I'm sure Robert will answer your question better, but if you have any specific questions, ask and I will try and answer them.

CrewC

Dan Izen has one too.

I love it, but it took some getting used to.

We have all done a few mods, I think.

If price is no object, then think about location. PSC is in the US, so if you are also, then it might be a good choice. If you're in Europe, then perhaps a Sonosax.

My mods include eliminating tone and slate mic routing to outputs 5-8, so I can use those outputs for speakers or EPK without slate mic.

Robert

another option to consider to the PSC/Sonosax equation:

I was shopping for something to replace my cooper 106 w/ more inputs routing functionality[The Solice was at the top of my list] and ended up w/ a used [but basically brand new] Audio Developments 8 channel AD149 for about 4.5k less than a new solice.

sounds easily as good as my Cooper,is fully modular and built like a tank.also:fantastic eq,flexible channel & 2 buss limiters,super smooth P&G faders,etc.

now if it only had the extra buss routing of the Solice and I'd be really set.

a drawback is it's built overseas, but parts and service are still available over here through the US distributor.

been using it for about 3 weeks nonstop.really liking it..

If you are in the USA, esp West coast PSC service is dead easy, and they will do all sorts of mods for you. I really liked my AD mixer too, but the service and support were not as good, then being a small UK company. You can't go really wrong with AD, PSC or Sax if what you want is an analog mixer. For digital, there doesn't seem to be any answer besides the Yamaha 01v96--too bad, I think.

philp

• 1 month later...

I would go with the Solice, though, better features more specific to our workflows, and great support from a U.S. company (if you are in the U.S. - and probably great support even if your not). Sonosax is nice, but priced at such a premium for what it is... (I deleted my earlier post, it was posted in the wrong thread by mistake - poor searching...)

• 1 month later...

Hello All,

I am new to JWSound and was searching the forums looking for a solution to sort out some confusion I have with the PSC Solice mixer I picked up recently. I noticed an few postings by users here so hopefully someone could give some pointers.

So far it seems extremely well built, well thought out and a highly underrated/over-looked product. Coming from bag work and stage/studio, there is a slight learning curve to understand the layout and logic, but not more than anything else in this biz except one or two items I cannot wrap my head around...

Was running through the monitoring, not 100% thrilled so far but workable, and likely will use my 788t or 2882 to monitor via returns when needed along with the 4 busses of "mix" tracks available on the monitoring control. But I do feel rather handicapped due to the Pre/Post Fader issue I am seeing and the way I would run the monitoring for Boom 1, Boom 2 and Director is gonna take some getting used to... Would like if someone had pointers on how they worked out monitoring and sends/com.

But here is an issue I cannot figure out... Apparently there is no AFL option for 1 & 2, they only appear to be AFL for the direct outs and PFL for the mains (might have those reversed but hopefully you get the idea). Please note I can only check the TRS and XLR outs, will build the DB-37(?) connector later... Not sure if that gives me the option I want yet.

Am I missing something?

Looks like the logic is to use 1 & 2 as my L/R but I do not want to loose 2 tracks for this and would rather have a PFL or AFL mix track done on my recorder (ie L R on 788t) and send a mono mix out for IFB to Director, etc. and a mono out to boom.

Hopefully, I am missing something very obvious as this appears to be a fantastic purchase other than these items that unfortunately may require mods and more of that cash from the money tree! :)

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Hi,

Cris, and welcome...

" looking for a solution to sort out some confusion I have with the PSC Solice mixer I picked up recently. "

without reading past this in your post...

you need to contact the manufacturer, PSC, and their more than helpful owner Ron Meyers, who can not only sort out your questions, but is very responsive to making mod's you may wish to have at fair rates....

(yes, I did read your entire post!)

Hello All,

I am new to JWSound and was searching the forums looking for a solution to sort out some confusion I have with the PSC Solice mixer I picked up recently. I noticed an few postings by users here so hopefully someone could give some pointers.

Hi Chris,

I did a couple of reviews of the Solice. Here is a link to the first one (which has a link to the followup): http://www.trewaudio.com/audioflow/2009/04/08/427/

Glen Trew

For the 788T, the CL-9 is really nice.... I got one a few weeks ago and love it so far... built a second cart with that as the mixer... 6 outs... I really like it... I cant find anything I dont really care for... other than the two button slate deal... I use a fader for that so no problem for me... I think they will fix that in an update...

Still LOVE my 01V96.... I don't care what anyone says...

Chris,

I monitor from my 788T - Main out 1 goes to track L on 788T - the TRS direct outs go to the remainder of the tracks. If I need to PFL, I do it on the 788T by sliding the track switch. I use 8th input/fader for a PL mic (personal preference). The only engaged switch is 3 - the boom knob dialed to 3/4. The boom/dir outputs are stereo headphone outs, not balanced audio outputs. So I made two TRS to XLR cables, one wired to tip and one to ring to feed IFBs from headphone boom/dir outputs.

There's a bit more to it. I'm out of the country at the moment, but PM me with your contact info, and we can chat about it when I get home next weekend. Ron is a great help, but working the Solice in the field it different.

The DB connector is POST fader, following the main outputs, which I consider a design error, so not sure that'll help you.

Wow!

Glen, awesome article! In depth and very, very helpful for a new user/prospective user. Many thanks!

RPSharman, thank you I will definitely take you up on that! With Glen's article and you explaining how you use it day-to-day, it really helps. Now I see what I was doing wrong!! :)

Good to know on the DB connector...

BTW Happy New Year all!

I cant find anything I dont really care for... other than the two button slate deal... I use a fader for that so no problem for me...

That was one of my gripes, but the biggest problem with it that I found was that it was too easy to arm/ disarm tracks with the track selection buttons. More than once I accidentally brushed one with my arm and didn't realize a track was accidentally armed or disarmed. Fortunately it never messed up a take because it would be track 7 or 8- and they were unused (so I'd just record a phantom track), but it made me nervous enough to sell it.

The button needs to have a second or two hold function in order to turn a track on or off IMHO.

-Jon

continuing off topic.

<didn't realize a track was accidentally armed or disarmed.>

Ouch, disarmed being worse than armed of course! :)

Continuing off topic--sorry. Again i make a request for WYSIWYG track arming. I think that recorders should have a mode where if a track is not armed you should not be able to hear it or see it appear on a meter. Just the way a 744t and DV824 function.

Continuing off topic--sorry. Again i make a request for WYSIWYG track arming. I think that recorders should have a mode where if a track is not armed you should not be able to hear it or see it appear on a meter. Just the way a 744t and DV824 function.

Yes, that is very dangerous. At least on the 788, the meters flash in a very annoying way, alerting you that the track is not armed (or is otherwise not being recorded) but you've got an input fed to it. Very intelligent design.