Ipad mini

roundbadge

Maybe using a third party app, but Apple have never allowed root access on the iDevices, which would be necessary to copy to the ipad, then to another card. Card-to-card...I'm not sure. Depends how many external drives an Ipad can recognise.

There are quite a few apps that provide pretty decent file transfers to get things in and out of iOS devices. Most of them utilize some wireless methods but several use the various adapters available (USB, Camera Adapter, Video Adapter, etc.). This does bring up the issue, with the new iPads, what adapters will be available for the new connector Apple has introduced with the iPhone5.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I use the iPad mini to copy files, like CF or SD to CF, or to the iPad and then to another CF?

*Maybe* with the camera adapters? They already announced the "camera connection adapters". The camera adapters are Lightning to SD and USB. With previous iPads, people used those to get a certain amount of USB ability. Offhand using a wired USB keyboard, or interfacing with some music devices. I would wait and see what people can do with the Lightning-USB adapters.

What are you trying to do?

Philip Perkins, on 24 October 2012 - 06:29 AM, said:

Can I use the iPad mini to copy files, like CF or SD to CF, or to the iPad and then to another CF?

I work a lots on documentaries and the evening I like to give more precise name to my files (or more longer name), to copy some files on another harddrive. Actually I am doing that with my macbook, I would really like to find a tablet (mac or android) that permits to be plugged on my SD788. A tablet is easier to carry than a computer.

Does anyone know if it is possible with a tablet (mac or Android) ?

I was ready to order at $199 or even $249 but $329? That's only $70 less than an iPad2. I'll wait six months for the iPad Mini 2 announcement when the price on this puppy drops to $179.

Normally, I'm on Apple's side, but this time, I agree with Jim. I think Apple made a huge misjudgement in pricing the iPad Mini so high. Many analysts expected a super-competitive price of $249 for the base model, and I'm stunned and disappointed that they priced it at $329. If they had gone with $249, it would've kicked the crap out of Kindle, Samsung, and all the other competitors.

Apple has some tough decisions, since the iPod Touch, iPad 2, iPad 3, and iPad Mini all compete against each other at mildly different price ranges, yet have overlapping features (and all run iOS apps). I have no doubt they had a hundred meetings to try to come up with a strategy, but looking at this only from the consumer's point of view, I think this is screwed up.

Love the product, hate the price. And I agree, for certain situations, like when you can feed it external TC in a bag, it could work as a doco slate for indoor shoots.

I would really like to find a tablet (mac or android) that permits to be plugged on my SD788. A tablet is easier to carry than a computer.

You could run the CL-WiFi app, which gives you some features, including changing routing and adding notes. But for renaming files and stuff like that, you have to do it on the 788 itself, with either the right-hand knob or an external USB keyboard. Or (as Scott says above) Wave Agent on a Mac or Windows laptop, or full-featured tablet running Windows. No tablets running Mac OSX -- yet.

I thought the mini was going to be $249-----what happened ? Even $279 would have been O.K.-----but $329 is just stupid

J.D.

Well, that was based on rumor sites, not Apple changing the price. Analysts and rumor bloggers thought Apple would price it to bury the Android tablet market. That's not really Apple's style, they try to justify the higher price by offering a better product. Remember when the iPhone came out the analysts said the phone would not catch on because it was too big and there was expectations for an iPhone mini. Apple may have had a mini in the lab, but in the end, they just sell last years model cheaper. This iPad Mini will probably be under $300 at the next iPad revision. I have a feeling the big iPad was modded to get rid of the 30-pin models (though the iPhone4s, iPhone4 and iPod classic still are in production with 30-pin ports). The may reset the refresh cycle to Fall instead of Spring for the iPads. I don't see Apple updating iPads every 6 months.

According to the event, 91% of all tablet web traffic is iPads. Even if Android based tablets are selling really well, they are not used for web browsing. That's the same usage iPhones saw out of the gates in terms of web browsing, picture uploading, youtube uploads etc. I had a Droid for the last two years and never broke 1GB of data in a month, same with 2 years of a Blackberry before that. iPhone5 upgrade and I blew past 2GB in a month. I never uploaded a video, and don't *think* I upload that many more photos, but it's obviously a phone that is that much more usable.

But for renaming files and stuff like that, you have to do it on the 788 itself, with either the right-hand knob or an external USB keyboard. Or (as Scott says above) Wave Agent on a Mac or Windows laptop, or full-featured tablet running Windows.

I can't do it with CL-Wifi or wave agent, because I want the write too long names. For exemple todays I record a few sounds in the Judean desert's (Israel). My sounds are in a folder named "DESERT' and i rename DESERTT01, T02 and T03 in CALM DESERT, FLIES IN DESERT, WARPLANES PASSING, etc. So later when the sound editor will work in he desert part of the documentary, he will find very quickly the good sound.

I can't do it with CL-Wifi or wave agent, because I want the write too long names. For exemple todays I record a few sounds in the Judean desert's (Israel). My sounds are in a folder named "DESERT' and i rename DESERTT01, T02 and T03 in CALM DESERT, FLIES IN DESERT, WARPLANES PASSING, etc. So later when the sound editor will work in he desert part of the documentary, he will find very quickly the good sound.

I understand the desire to make the sound editor's job easier but I think it is a very bad trend to try and change the file name to be so specific and descriptive. At the very least it is a huge amount of work you may have to do, taking notes while you are recording and later using those notes to change filenames, or worse, having to listen to material you have recorded and decide what to call each recording. I think it would be a very difficult task even if the file naming scheme that the recorder is using supported long descriptions of what it is you have recorded as its file name. How would you do all that and still do your job recording?

Anyone know if you can get a video input into the iPad? would be a great monitor if you could.

It's a horrible monitor in terms of accuracy, because it's 8-bit color, has 2.2 gamma, and cannot reproduce Rec709 color. In other words, it's a piece of crap.

It's perfectly acceptable for computer use, but not good for judging color, contrast, or brightness. I have a huge problem with directors or DPs using something like an iPad for judging picture quality. This is as bogus as somebody using 3" speakers to judge a sound mix.

I have no problem with people using crappy monitors for framing, focus, or actor performance, and that's been done since people have been using monitors on sets (more than 50 years).

I agree with Jeff that changing file names is very problematic. Note that Red uses even more cryptic file names that have nothing to do with scene and take numbers (courtesy of editor/workflow guru Michael Kammes):

read_red.jpg

If the camera department can get by submitting weird file names, so can the sound department. Trust me, it's not a problem. Talk to any D.I.T., post department, or editor and ask them. It's the metadata that has to be right -- that plus written reports are what help the workflow, not filenames per se. Post finds files by means of creation date, and as long as they can sort the files and find them (early takes first), they work OK.

I agree with Jeff that changing file names is very problematic. Note that Red uses even more cryptic file names that have nothing to do with scene and take numbers (courtesy of editor/workflow guru Michael Kammes):

If the camera department can get buy submitting weird file names, so can the sound department. Trust me, it's not a problem. Talk to any D.I.T., post department, or editor and ask them. It's the metadata that has to be right -- that plus written reports are what help the workflow, not filenames per se. Post finds files by means of creation date, and as long as they can sort the files and find them (early takes first), they work OK.

Thank you, thank you, Marc! If the post people need to have the filename tell them what it is they are looking at or listening to, then they need to go back and get some more training. There are lots of very good reasons, and some not so very good and even quite peculiar reasons for filenames and naming schemes to be what they are (for the various devices that are in use).

At the end of the day, Apple didn't strip down the model to make it cheaper. The $199 N7 tablet has one camera, half as much ram. The 16GB versus the 16GB model is $249 versus $329. Both have a 1.2MP camera looking at the user for video chats, but the iPad also has a 5MP rear camera. If you are looking for something to mount on the cart for sound reports, the Android tablet probably works fine, though they don't offer a cellular connection if you might need to provide your own internet connection. I use my LTE more than I thought I would in hotels that charge $16/day for internet, or just have a terrible connection.

You can't really compare the Kindle Fire, it's a subsidized tablet to put an endless Amazon catalog in your hands, as well as a way to read books and watch videos that they sell you. The Kindle Fire is very much a consumption tablet, as opposed to Apple and the Android tablets that have ways to create (office type productivity apps, creative apps etc). Amazon's goal is to be the biggest store in the USA, and maybe beyond. There are some analysts that predict Amazon will some day put Kindle Fires in airplanes and oust the skymall catalog.

At the end of the day, Apple didn't strip down the model to make it cheaper.

I'm a lousy businessman: I expected Apple to lower profits in order to make it cheaper. $199 would have done that.

Note that Apple's stock has plunged in the last week or two, so I'm not the only one who was disappointed. To me, this is not a competitive response to Samsung at the low end and the Windows Tablet at the high end. This is a rare case where I agree with the head of Microsoft:

http://www.businessi...ced-toy-2012-10

same pundits that called the original iMac stupid, the iPod a decision that should question Steve Job's leadership position and the iPhone the biggest mistake in Apple history?

It's not a disastrous decision, merely a disappointment. They'll sell lots of them -- but we'll never know how many more they would have sold had it been priced much more aggressively. $199 could've killed the Kindle and the Samsung Galaxy overnight.

Note also that Apple is under much turmoil at the moment. They just essentially fired the head of iOS, Scott Forstall, and the head of the Apple Stores this week:

http://www.businessinsider.com/scott-forstall-leaving-apple-2012-10

Apple stock always drops right after a big announcement. It's been doing that for at least 15 years. People buy on the rumors and sell on the announcements.

I'm sure Apple knew they could nuke the competition if they sold the mini for $199, or a little more. Who knows why they didn't. I have heard some theories that Apple doesn't aggressively go after the low end market with iPads, but they don't seem totally valid. Apple also covers the cheap phone market adequately with the previous gen phone being $99 and two gens previous being free with contract. If those are budget users, they may not spend as much on apps and media, but Apple is still putting iPhones in their hands for *some* reason.

As for the firings, Browett sounds like he wasn't a good hire. He wasn't even there for a year, and was the one behind major retail staff layoffs. I believe I read Apple stores are amongst the most profitable per square foot of space. The last thing they need to do is reduce employees. I've had frustrating waits in Apple stores this year when I was trying to buy something. I almost left to go elsewhere.

Forstall sounds like he was really liked by Jobs, and was probably part of the inner circle. As much warning as Apple had to prep for the post SJ era, I can only imagine there will be some turbulence for a while. There are rumors that he was part of the weird skeuomorphic design side that shows up in *some* apps, but not others. I kind of hate that stuff in almost all uses (like calendar). They also said he refused to be part of the public apology for Maps sucking in iOS6. I am sure there is a lot more too it, but who knows. We'll have to wait for the Tim Cook tell all biography.