Grabbing sound in a Fire training facility?

roundbadge

We just found out tomorrows shoot requires getting sound in a 300 degree fire training facility.

likekly wiring the fire suits / helmets.

maybe a small mic on camera?

only actors and DP allowed in the room.the dp will be wearing a fire suit along with the firemen actors in the scene.

likely lots of wind and heat in there

anyone here have any experience with this scenario?

any help would be greatly appreciated as its only 12 hours away and zero time to prep..HC

Ouh man that s a tough one..

The only thing i d dare to do would be to put a lav inside the fireman's helmet. And keep the pack very tucked in. I don t know how the wireless transmission will interact with the thick jacket s special fireproof fabric though. Also i d protect pack from sweat in a condom or ziplock.

One thing for sure is that I d never put one of my mic on a camera at 300 degrees! It should cause serious damage. I don t know what s their plan to protect the actual camera anyway.. I bet they re gonna send in gopros or something..

Remember that we won t see any lips moving because of the helmets so u can always cheat afterward if things go wrong with the wireless inthere..

Good luck and let us know how it went

If you have a disposable lav, use it. Any wind protection will probably catch fire, unless it is buried under the heavy, sound-blocking fireproof gear.

This is the reason foley exists.

yeah it's likely going to be a "get what we get" scenario.

I've got some of the old lectro lavs in the kit for destructo type scenarios.

I'm def not putting 2k Schoeps setups in there lol.

we'll see ..it might end up MOS any minute.

Ouh man that s a tough one..

The only thing i d dare to do would be to put a lav inside the fireman's helmet. And keep the pack very tucked in. I don t know how the wireless transmission will interact with the thick jacket s special fireproof fabric though. Also i d protect pack from sweat in a condom or ziplock.

One thing for sure is that I d never put one of my mic on a camera at 300 degrees! It should cause serious damage. I don t know what s their plan to protect the actual camera anyway.. I bet they re gonna send in gopros or something..

Remember that we won t see any lips moving because of the helmets so u can always cheat afterward if things go wrong with the wireless inthere..

Good luck and let us know how it went

thanks Dominique.

its an Alexa in some fireproof wrap.

speaking w/ Prod,Dir,AD it's likely heading towards MOS as I type.

I'm always down for a good mic'ing challenge but I'd rather not L&D any gear on this one.

• 1 month later...

Damn... I wish I'd seen this thread sooner. I've been a volunteer FF for 4 years. There are a LOT of ways you could get great audio in a non-life-threatening scenario such as this.

The FF "wardrobe" (aka "turn-out gear") is normal clothes under pants that have suspenders... then jacket (or SCBA... the breathing app).. then the nomex hood... which is like a ski-hood... fits CLOSE... but not tight... then jacket.... and finally helmet and gloves.

If you had a Countryman B6 you could EASILY run that into the breathing space of an SCBA and still have a seal. I'd go over the ear and just have it sticking out next to, but behind, an eye (pick a side). If the mic is under... i.e. INSIDE of... the nomex hood... and the wireless mic pack is in an internal pocket of the jacket... you're ALL GOOD... nothing is getting exposed to smoke or heat. No worries.... and an awesome studio quality dialog from that FF.

Jeez... it couldn't be any simpler... and virtually no risk to any of your gear. The audio would kick-ass too... with the breathing sounds and the confined dialog (probably set the Tx lower as it will be like talking into a bucket with a lav at the bottom... i.e. "pick-up" will not be a problem.

You wouldn't want the mic too close down near the mouth because that's where the air-movement is from the

SCBA (which is constantly pressurized... i.e. it's made to push air non-stop... so when the FF breaths in, it's a pretty big "PSSSSHHHHHP" each time.)

But the SAFEST thing to do... would be miking the radios from a distance... i.e. get your own radio... set it on command ch D (or whatever they're using... then mic all that and fill in the gaps with nat sound).