16 bay AA charger

soundtrane

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use Powerex, which I am happy with in my SMQVs. According to the Lectro manual, the voltage metering is inaccurate for rechargeables, and they recommend using the timer on the Rx, which I always do. I have put Powerex in the Tx and the power light has been red, and I ignore it, and it lasts the full duration I expected with the timer.

I use Powerex, which I am happy with in my SMQVs. According to the Lectro manual, the voltage metering is inaccurate for rechargeables, and they recommend using the timer on the Rx, which I always do. I have put Powerex in the Tx and the power light has been red, and I ignore it, and it lasts the full duration I expected with the timer.

Yep, that's the way to do it. I think the red light merely indicates the point at which the battery has gone below the expected voltage, not where the transmitter will fail.

I just tested 40 Powerex AA's prior to a feature last month, and all of them came out at least at 3.5 hours in Lectro SMa's. A handful of them made it to 4 hours (barely); one or two only got to 2.5 hours and I tossed them. These work fine for scripted shows where we'll encounter costume changes or scene changes that will allow swapping out the batteries every 4-5 hours. Soft-charging mode is definitely the way to go instead of fast-charging, in my experience.

The 9V rechargeable NiMH's will typically go about 6 hours for me in the Lectro IFB receivers, and maybe 6 hours in a Lectro UH400 plug-on; they easily go all day in a Comtek receiver.

" the voltage metering is inaccurate for rechargeables, "

not really...

the problem is the discharge curve of the batteries.

You will note that the batteries themselves curve, on one axis, as to make them cylindrical. However, the discharge happens from the ends, and there is much less curvature along that axis in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Just wondering if anyone has had this experience, as I've had several occasions where a battery shows it has been charged only to put it in a unit and it doesn't have a full charge. I put it back on the TITANIUM-MD-1600L and it blinks like it is an empty battery and them charges up fine. Anyone have this happen to them? Both with Imedions and Powerex versions.

• 8 months later...

Does anyone here tried the new version of the Tensai 16bay charger?

http://www.tensai.com/index.php/products/chargers/ni-mh-chargers/ti-1600l

Is this one from AccuPower the same?: http://www.accupower.at/accumanager16_en.php 

Looking for a battery charger for many batteries and the Titanium is not an option for me (I'm in Europe).

Thanks,

Vale.

Edited by vale

Very curious about these. I have a titanium charger and I also stopped using it because I had a lot of mischarged batteries dying prematurely on set. Since then, I now use Powerex maya 8 batteries slow chargers with great success. But if a 16 bay charger works, I would be Interrested. 

Very curious about these. I have a titanium charger and I also stopped using it because I had a lot of mischarged batteries dying prematurely on set. Since then, I now use Powerex maya 8 batteries slow chargers with great success. But if a 16 bay charger works, I would be Interrested. 

Actually, I'm having these same problems with my Maha C801D...

very slow charging time, even with fresh new Imedion batteries, and the batteries discharged quite quickly in my Zaxcom LA transmitters.

I have two of the Tensai 1600L and they seem to work fine. I use them with Eneloops XXX and Eneloop Pros. i have not noticed any erratic loading behaviour. 

If the charger won't or can't charge a battery, it'll indicate so. Those batteries seem to be faulty and they won't charge in other Tensai chargers, either. Although I have not tried those batteries in other brand's chargers. I just put those batteries aside and I have not done any further testing with them. I bought the Tensais a year and a half ago