NY $400 interview TODAY!!

Question for you guys. Is it ok to be in a place in your career where you have minimal experience and a basic but profession ENG kit that fits perfectly with the $400 for 5 hours of sit down interview work?

Let's ask the question from another perspective, "Is it okay to show producers that there's always someone willing to do it cheaper so they don't have to learn to pay proper rates?"

" have minimal experience "

it isn't about the kit...

but that minimal experience thing is the "hook"...

yes ut us OK to b e at that place, especially if one is coming from a less pro kit (say an Octava into a Zoom?) at $300; and there are a lot of those gigs, too...

What some of us real experienced folks forget, and especially after we actually move into the "big time" is that there are folks with less experience who do a credible job, and even with less than "pro grade" stuff.; .. And these folks are happy to get promoted from tuna-subs up to $300...even if some of us aren't willing to take that "low" rate....

" Is it ok to be in a place in your career ... "

of course.

in fact, from your description, you would probably have a hard time consistently getting the top paying gigs.

Let's see... checking out your kit, packing gear and double-checking expendables, etc. ... an hour. Travel... let's say thirty minutes to an hour. Setup... an hour. Interviews... five hours. Wrap... a half hour. Travel home... thirty minutes to an hour. Unpacking gear, checking for needed repairs, recharging batteries... a half hour.

So, with our minimum travel time, that comes to ... ta da ... nine hours -- ten, with the full hour travel times each way.

I'm always confused by rate discussions on here and with the mixers I know personally. Looks like Christopher Mills just tagged a 2 track ENG day at $550/10 all in as not bad. I believe I was recently scorned a bit for suggesting similar wasn't too bad a rate. Some whom I know have suggested $650/10 all in for simple, single interview is pretty decent. Upon seeing that union commercial mixer labor is minimum $760/10 and probably $500+ for gear I was pretty shocked. I know a couple of my very established mixer friends are making $800-1200/day but I know a couple others whom are pretty busy and known that say $650 is decent.

My confusion on the subject is probably compounded by the fact that it's damn difficult to get people to be forthcoming about their rates and whether every type of job requires a similar rate.

On this NY job, I wonder what the camera op's rate was and if it was all in with a camera package. I wonder what the G&E person's rate was and if his gear was included. I wonder what the rate was for the highest paid person involved in this shoot. I wonder if that shouldn't matter.

BTW, with the hours compilation I've given above, I'm not saying that's how you compute a ten hour day as far as the client goes.

What I am saying is, that as a business person (assuming this is business for you), all those elements (and more) must be taken into account. As a freelance business person, your rates not only need to pay for your time and materials on set, they also need to cover your time doing any paperwork associated with running your business, all the time and money you spend sorting and maintaining gear, any repair or upgrade costs, as well as replacement gear, and any downtime you have. Yes, your rates even need to cover you for any time you spend not working.

Factor in all the above and see how much you're actually making per hour on that $400 gig.

Like it or not, this is a business, and if you don't take all these elements into account when you set your rates, you're pursuing a hobby, not a career.

John - you left out vehicle costs, gas, and mileage as they pertain to the margin on this type of job ! :))

Plus, no one has mentioned that this type of client will be expecting that rate for time immemorial, and forget about actually what it is to "produce" and try to arrange, god forbid, more than one interview in a day, or maybe some extra b-roll, or standups, whatever.

You buy resources for the DAY. What a client does with that is up to them.

MF

Good to know for sure. I'd say that seems like a reasonable rate for reasonable expectations and well worth turning down a grouting gig.

John B., your breakdown of the 'part of the job they don't see' is good and thorough. I gotta admit, my times come in way under yours...but I imagine you've got 3x the gear I have and are accustomed to much larger and more intricate jobs than most of mine.

Jack N., always count on 6 hours there if they say 2-4 hours right? That's always the case. Although I did one day in the summer that I thought was going to be an 8-10 hr and turned out to be 3 hours. My rate was $750 on that day. Very nice!

Lately, I'm telling most of my regular clients and any new ones that my rate is $300/day for 2 lav, 1 boom, 1 recorder/mixer kit + $500/10 on labor. It seems a reasonable rate for the gear I have and the type of jobs I do (corp, small commercial, doc, bts).

Is this undercutting or is this finding a niché in the industry with clients whom if exposed to union mixer rates would turn to buying a Zoom, NTG and G3? I really would like to know and I imagine there are tons of others who would benefit from the information...maybe the whole industry would benefit.

D... I am calling that a typical bag rate with no wireless on a low end eng corporate.. not for broadcast... and yeah.. the client size and the other salaries are very relevant.. I wouldn't give them timecode for that... transcription audio and no wireless

I was on set and didn't have time to put all of the details up. I've worked with this director/shooter in LA many times. One celebrity on the couch shooting for 30 minutes to be made into a 3 minute web promo. 5D shooting w 2 kinos. 3 person crew so there will never be $750 for the day. At this time in my career I'd rather go make $400 with very minimal wear and tear on my equipment. It's not worth it for many of you but sitting at home will not teach this producer to pay me more. It will just take him 10 minutes of texting to find someone else. After I make a good impression and become their first call, it is much easier to ask for more money on the next ones. If I grow out of that work/rate, I pass it on to one of my guys that it fits.

" its never 4 hours. "

at which point it either jumps to a full day, or hourly. (either way you have pre-negotiated, and to your good)...

" become their first call, it is much easier to ask for more money on the next ones. "

you may find it easier to ask, but they will find it just as easy to decline!

one other factor, with half days: I only book them for "tomorrow" when I'm available "tomorrow", not further in advance.

I was on set and didn't have time to put all of the details up. I've worked with this director/shooter in LA many times. One celebrity on the couch shooting for 30 minutes to be made into a 3 minute web promo. 5D shooting w 2 kinos. 3 person crew so there will never be $750 for the day. At this time in my career I'd rather go make $400 with very minimal wear and tear on my equipment. It's not worth it for many of you but sitting at home will not teach this producer to pay me more. It will just take him 10 minutes of texting to find someone else. After I make a good impression and become their first call, it is much easier to ask for more money on the next ones. If I grow out of that work/rate, I pass it on to one of my guys that it fits.

Noah,

They don't budget $750 per day for the sound because people like you will do the gig for $400 and provide every last piece of gear they ask for even if it means you are losing money on the job. You shouldn't set your time and gear rates based on what the camera person is charging. You will never be able to raise your rates once you have set them low. However, if you and your gear aren't worth top dollar then you shouldn't be charging top dollar.

They are shooting with a 5D. That means you need 2 channels of mixer and recorder with timecode, boom, lav, boom pole, C-stand, sand bag, boom pole holder, XLR cables, gear bag, case, headphones, media to record on, battery system, expendable batteries, timecode slate and appropriate cables, microphone mounting for both boom and lavs. Your gear package to do an adequate job for one pompous ass on a couch costs far more than their camera, lens, kinos, and all their accessories. So, tell us again why the hell you think $400 is appropriate? Perhaps you're doing the gig purely for the experience and you aren't charging for time? Or do you simply not realize this is a business and you either need to raise your rates or call it a hobby or else you'll be washed out sooner rather than later.