Rycote Windshield Kit for sennheiser 8060

Bartek Baranowski

There are various configurations of the 8060. You can reduce the overall length using the MZL which is fitted in place of the XLR adapter and XLR plug, so a short (extended ballgag) windshield can be used. However if you are using the MZF filter you are adding a couple of cm. I rented an 8060 earlier this year and found it worked best on the boom with the MZF. The one I rented was a tight fit and the MZF made the mic a bit too long to sit easily in that windshield - so worth allowing space for either an MZF or fitting a Rycote Tac!t before your mixer preamp would be the alternative.

Tim

I have mine in a windshield 1. You'll need to lose the xlr adapter and use the 8000 series conn box from Rycote. I made my own cable from an older style connbox and a flying lead with the screw on fitting that can be purchased from Sennheiser. I'm sure the current product from Rycote is equivalent and should fit. You'll also have to experiment with different 'weight' lyres and their positions in the basket to get it silent and functional, but it does work very well and it's tiny!

Good Luck

Simon

There are various configurations of the 8060. You can reduce the overall length using the MZL which is fitted in place of the XLR adapter and XLR plug, so a short (extended ballgag) windshield can be used.

Tim

That's it - the MZL thingy... Are you sure about extended ball gag??? It would not fit it my mono extended ball gag I use for my CCM mics...? The 8040/8050 would fit tho.

Simon

thanks to all

I know there's the Rycote MZL system 2 especially for 8060 but I dont want to pay extra over $100 for it. I think rycote system 1 could be too tight a squeeze but i'd like the mic to fit in the system#2:

http://www.bhphotovi...ield_Kit_2.html

So one question is:

it possible to fit the 8060 in the $569 kit 2 with conbox 1 or is it only the MZL conbox that makes it possible to fit this mic in a kit 2 basket?

also:

I'd like to know if the non-MZL WS kit2 will fit the 8060 with the xlr module and MZF filter or just the xlr module?

thanks

That's it - the MZL thingy... Are you sure about extended ball gag??? It would not fit it my mono extended ball gag I use for my CCM mics...? The 8040/8050 would fit tho.

Simon

I am not absolutely sure - I have two different lengths of 'extended ball gags' bought at different times. I rented for a couple of days to try the 8060 out and the windshield set-up was not the strong point. There is compact and there is too short and with the MZF fitted it was too tight and the front of the mic was too close to the end of the basket. Check out all the lengths at www.rycote.com/products/full_windshield_kit/modular_windshield/ All the dimensions are there so you can choose exactly what you want. I for instance use the old 295 size for the CMIT - shorter than the recommended WS4 but plenty big enough. Measure and choose!

Tim

I've got a WS1 on order at the moment after talking to Rycote (with the MZL Connbox). They even made a new product code: 086067, it's like the WS2 kit.

Rycote advise that you don't have anything going into the end caps on their windshields, I think it reduces the air gap and makes them less effective. It'll should fit in a WS2 with a shortened XLR connector

• 3 weeks later...

I have my 8060 on the way to me (courtesy of another jwsound member:) and plan to use the WS1 that I have been using for the Sanken CS1e up to now. I have just cut down a neutrik female connector to decrease its length and looks like the front and back will protrude about 1/4" each side into the end caps which I dont think will be a problem.

The WS2 will definitely have adequate room for this mic.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...