boomrecorder and computer questions

graham

I have made little magnet that has "TailSlate" on it with a pTouch label maker and put that next to the record knob

Good idea, but you know what I was struck by when first reading this, was the use of a "little magnet" next to the record button. I guess from 20 or more years being so extremely careful not to put anything magnetic next to any recorder, this strikes me as funny.

-  Jeff Wexler

I usually try to have redundancy in the voice markers I do. I will roll (with 10 second preroll) usually when I pick up on the AD's method of saying roll sound. Some of them say "Okay, lets..." some of them say "Gotta go people, here we go, AND..." or things to that nature. Sometimes it works, and sometimes I end up with a minute of preroll, at which point, I restart the take. I also make the clapper call out the scene and take as well, since they occasionally have different ideas of what the scene and letter are. Granted, when we're shooting film, this is not normally an issue, as the slate goes in front of the lens when they are ready to roll, so I just roll when I see that on the video monitor.

I just roll when I think we are close and identify the take in the preroll--it helps me find the take if want to play it back if nothing else.  If the roll was a "false alarm" it is easy enough to delete it, at least on SD machines.   On Metacorder you can force a rename of the next take, and the app will rename the false start and take it out of the take sequence.

Philip Perkins

Metacorder also has a "false start" button just to the left of the Rec. & Stop buttons.  It's pretty fast either way though -- and you can always go back and re-name files if you just had to slam it without properly naming it.

• 1 month later...

curious about boomrecorder patchbay. if you enable a track that wasnt previously enabled mid take, does it start recording to that track from that point on?

No, I tried.  But you can disable tracks (not on the fly) in the patch bay and you end up with extremely small placeholder files which is very handy when the active tracks keep changing (live events concerts etc.).

• 2 months later...

with regards to when roll is called and when sticks are clapped, what's the actual issue? I ask this to know what if any negative impact there is. If "roll" is called and it takes a minute for camera to be ready, why the extra stress waiting for the clap then hitting record to capture it on preroll? Has anyone gotten notes from post about to much roll before a scene? Even then, you would hear that roll was called on the files so if anything, you did your job when you were told to. I can understand a false take or abort if it's a few minutes, but ultimately does it matter?

with regards to when roll is called and when sticks are clapped, what's the actual issue? I ask this to know what if any negative impact there is. If "roll" is called and it takes a minute for camera to be ready, why the extra stress waiting for the clap then hitting record to capture it on preroll? Has anyone gotten notes from post about to much roll before a scene? Even then, you would hear that roll was called on the files so if anything, you did your job when you were told to. I can understand a false take or abort if it's a few minutes, but ultimately does it matter?

Exactamente.  Let it roll.

Philip Perkins

Only in that if you're recording a lot of tracks at 24 bit the files start becoming rather huge, and if you want to do playback off the deck you have to sit there and sift through it (maybe depending on the recorder) -- a pain in the ass if someone on set wants playback right after the take and before going again.  I don't know whether or not telecine has to do the same thing...Marc?  I do with an 824, but maybe the telecine controller lets them jump to a point in the file without having to manually scrub through. 

It used to be a bigger problem and bigger stress in the tape days when you'd have to worry about rolling out of a 5" or 7" reel, when the AD called "roll" and then the crew would take focus marks, etc while you watched the tape shrink on the feed reel and tried to remember how long the previous take was.