riding the gain with cl-9

nika paniashvili

yet another question to seniors:

Im mixing a feature now and for the first time Im using the cl-9 controller (used cl-8 on previous jobs). yesterday I had a very dynamic scene to mix, going from very low whispers to very loud yelling. While it was fine with my mix track where I ride the gain with faders I had problems with the trim gain hitting the limiter. I couldn't understand the logic behind the rotary encoders behavior If I twist the knob very fast values change very slowly (6.5,6.3, 6.2, 6.1,.6.0) and if I turn it slower its just random (6.0, 2.3,-14.7) sometimes it just skips 15 to 20 dbs.

Im running version 2.18. should I upgrade? downgrade? re-install the current firmware? leave the trims very low and safe for this kind of scenes (barely hitting -40 mark on meters) or should I just get over it?

PS my boom op was doing a good job moving the boom further and closer according to the acting but still ...

They did this by design: turn the trim knobs fast, it makes a big change; turn the knobs slowly, it makes a subtle change. Set the trim values prior to the scene, and ride the gain during the scene with the linear faders.

It has been suggested to SD that they make the trim pots linear 100% of the time -- even as an option -- but it hasn't yet been done, to my knowledge. Check the SD Forum for more info.

They did this by design: turn the trim knobs fast, it makes a big change; turn the knobs slowly, it makes a subtle change. Set the trim values prior to the scene, and ride the gain during the scene with the linear faders.

It has been suggested to SD that they make the trim pots linear 100% of the time -- even as an option -- but it hasn't yet been done, to my knowledge. Check the SD Forum for more info.

Marc, Nika is saying that the exact opposite is happening. Fast movement causes very small, subtle changes. Is there a point that you can turn the trims so fast that it registers as a slow turn?

yep its the opposite: with very fast movements the values change in tenths of the units (db's) and with slower movements the changes are quite unpredictable. VERY slow movements are much like fast movements but most of the time one would need something in between. not having the linear control is a fail. anyway, I'm gonna re install the firmware and see what happens.

That's possible -- I only used a CL-9 once over a weekend project, and I know the trim pots were speed-sensitive but honestly can't remember it it was fast/fine or fast/coarse. I know for a fact this issue has been discussed on the SD Forum, as noted above. Me personally, I wish they could just make that a menu item: Input Trim - linear response / non-linear response.

Me personally, I wish they could just make that a menu item: Input Trim - linear response / non-linear response.

I was considering selling my Audio Developments 8 channel analogue mixer and replace it with a CL-9 to give me more space on my cart as well as lower my battery requirements. However, after hearing this I'll wait a bit longer.

I would have expected the dials on the 788T to be linear. I think SD should certainly consider this software upgrade (along with sorting the track names alphabetically - but that is a discussion for another thread).