Miking vs. micing

Brandon Pert

This topic has been discussed on numerous other forums but I see these. On words used all of the time on jwsound so I thought I'd post.

I hope this doesn't come off nitpicky, but micing, mic-ed, mic'ed are all not actual words. While they have become commonplace all over the web, a search in the Merriam-Webster dictionary shows that the transitive verb for microphone is mike. As in, I need to mike the actor, or the talent has been miked, or I am almost done miking the talent.

I may be crazy but when I see the word 'micing' I think of little furry rodents. of course he word mic is a common abbreviation for the noun and is acceptable.

Hope this clears things up for some of you. I'd also love to hear from people that I am wrong or right. Is this non-word a pet peeve for anyone else or am I alone on this?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the big scheme of things it means little how it is spelled as long as it's meaning is understood by the person reading it. Mike sounds like a person when I read it in print, mic looks like an abbreviation of the word microphone through my eyes and brain. I see no rodents or creatures. Personally I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.

CrewC

I compeletely agree that it doesn't really matter either way, I just was just more curious if people are even aware of the issue.. Mic is correct as an abbreviation of the noun. When used as a verb mike is the proper word. Yes it doesn't really matter as you can usually determine the meaning through the context anyways.

FWIW, fellow JWSound member Jim Feeley and I went through this two decades ago, when he was editing and I was writing for DV Magazine, and revisited it when I wrote my first book. IFAIK it's since become standard at the various publishers we've infected.

Totally agree:

mic - noun, a device that converts sound waves to electrical

mic - verb, to mount one of them things on an actor

miked - past tense of mic (verb)

miking - present tense of mic (verb)

milking - something you do with a cow

micing - to turn something into a mouse; similar to "dicing" food when you cut it into small pieces

"mouse milking" - my wife's phrase for making subframe edits to repair dialog.

mic - noun, a device that converts sound waves to electrical

mic - verb, to mount one of them things on an actor

miked - past tense of mic (verb)

miking - present tense of mic (verb)

This will be my new standard. I used to go with mic'd and micing, but it never seemed to make much sense to me.

In the big scheme of things it means little how it is spelled as long as it's meaning is understood by the person reading it. Mike sounds like a person when I read it in print, mic looks like an abbreviation of the word microphone through my eyes and brain. I see no rodents or creatures.

Personally I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.

CrewC

or lose any either?

Eric