Miking vs. micing

Brandon Pert

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just say "wired" or "boomed" so that I don't have to deal with any dubious conjugations of "mic" or "lav", which is similarly tricky.

Does "wired" mean wearing a wireless lav?

Then how do you describe an actor wearing a lav, but with a hardwire running down their pants or out their jacket and plugged into the mixer?

And while we're at it, does anybody rig a "lav" as an actual lavaliere? Dangling from a necklace?

(And then, why do we call "speed"? The disk has been spinning at 7200 RPM ever since we turned on the recorder...)

Yes, I was just mulling over that the other day. The director asks, "so has everybody been wired up?" Yes, they all have wireless mikes on.

My old pal E. Brad Meyer of the Boston Audio Society was particularly incensed about the use of the word "micing," because he thought it looked like crap. I got into his way of thinking, and generally use "miking" or "miked."

Speed is just a nice historical tradition. I'd hate to see that go, even come the day when we're all recording sound and picture on SSD drives that don't spin at all!

Speed is just a nice historical tradition. I'd hate to see that go, even come the day when we're all recording sound and picture on SSD drives that don't spin at all!

No spinning on our set, unless you count the drives the Alexa cards are transferred to before they're sent to post, along with my CF cards.

Counterintuitive, I know, but I mean the mic and cable not the transmitter.

Then how do you describe an actor wearing a lav, but with a hardwire running down their pants or out their jacket and plugged into the mixer?

I describe this as an emergency! I only do this in interview setups with hostile RF environments. I think "wire" is still appropriate.

And while we're at it, does anybody rig a "lav" as an actual lavaliere? Dangling from a necklace?

Just once.

(And then, why do we call "speed"? The disk has been spinning at 7200 RPM ever since we turned on the recorder...)

Posterity!

I just worked with an old-school DP on a project where he'd say, "turning!" I think that goes back to the silent era, but I doubt that few on the set other than the two of us knew that.

And I occasionally work with a director who still says, "roll film!" when he wants to start. And we've only shot to cards on those projects.

And... I think people still say "check the gate" on a lot of sets. No doubt this confuses many college students and neophytes...

I think Webster has it dead wrong this time. Remember that dictionaries are a trailing indicator aid, and not an indicator of present use. Every word in the dictionary is a made-up word with somewhat arbitrary spelling, in use long before being listed in the dictionary.

Mic is an abbreviation of microphone, therefore it is naturally spelled m-i-c. Yes, it is pronounced with a long "i', but that's because not only is the "e" silent, it's also invisible.

Any time a piece of audio equipment has "mike" as a label, it is probably from a country where English is not the first language, or from a distant part of last century, or owned by a guy named Michael, who, to be consistent, may want to change the spelling of his abbreviation. It's time for a revolution, literally.

gt

• 2 weeks later...

We use "mic" for the noun form abbreviation of microphone. That is also how we label our panels. Fortunately, our support literature rarely uses the verb form so we don't really go there. We would say something about microphone placement or mic placement. Language becomes a standard because people collectively use it, and rules get broken all the time. The short form of bicycle is "bike", and a short form for motorcycle is..."bike" though that differs by region.