Advice on recording boat dialog from a pier/boat

bendybones

Hi All,

In a couple of weeks, I'll be recording sound for an unusual event:

10 row-boats will set out from a pier, each carrying one storyteller and 5 listeners (full occupancy).

The boats will drop anchor 'within sight' of the pier, and will be 'not too close' to each other (that's as precise as the distance info gets unfortunately).

Once in position the storytellers will begin to tell their stories concurrently which will last about 30 minutes.

My job is to record 5 of the storytelers.

There will be a run through in the afternoon before the performance in the evening.

If range is an issue, it may be possible to get me on a searate boat to get near them.

However, I would prefer to keep my Nomad on dry land.

My plan is to radio 5 of the storytellers and record 5 iso tracks and a further 5 'safety' iso tracks (at a lower volume) as I can't predict when shouting may occur.

My concerns are

1 - range

2 - wind protection

3 - waterproofing

Range:

Unfortunately I am working with G3s. I only have 2 of them so I will need to rent 3 more.

As there are no cams, I can afford to mount the Tx up high on a shoulder or back.

What have you all found to be the practical range of G3s?

And how does that differ across water, if at all?

Wind protection:

As there may potentially be a lot of wind (or none), I feel I should conceal the lavs for the sake of extra wind resistance. OTOH this will lead to more clothing noise. So I really not sure what to do there.

As there are no cams, perhaps I could build some kind of spacing-block to keep the cloting off the mic. Off the top of my head, something like a pair of rolled up bandages taped to the chest 2-3 inches apart, leaving space for the mic in between.

Waterproofing:

I will be asking production to buy/rent aquapacs to keep the TXs dry.

Has anyone found any cheaper solutions that work?

My lavs are DPA 4061s. Anyone know how they respond to water? How about salt water? (TBC)

In the event of capsizing is there any way to waterprof a lav without totally killing the sound?

I would love to hear your advice, ideas, suggestions on how you would do this, questions you would ask, and things you would look out for.

Many thanks,

B

Rent 5 Zaxcom Tx/recorders and their corresponding receivers w/ proper antennas.

You'll have your recording and a backup in the event range is an issue.

If you don't have the right tools, it's best to get them or risk failure.

But if there's no camera, can't you just have them record it later? I guess I don't really understand the situation.

Robert

Will you be on a lake or the ocean, makes a difference if there's wave action. Range on a G3 is about 50-75 yards reliably. For wind protection get a package of Rycote coverups, perfect for your situation. I don't forsee any capsizing if everyone is sitting and not moving around. Put yout transmitters in a zip lock bag and seal the opening with duct/gaffer tape. What I don't understand is that if there are no cameras why does it matter where the people are?

Eric

Thanks for the advices guys!

Rent 5 Zaxcom Tx/recorders and their corresponding receivers w/ proper antennas.

I'll look into that.

But if there's no camera, can't you just have them record it later?

What I don't understand is that if there are no cameras why does it matter where the people are?

As this is a public event, involving some passengers and people watching from the shore (?) the request to me was to capture the audio of the night authentically.

Will you be on a lake or the ocean, makes a difference if there's wave action.

What kind of difference do you have in mind, do you mean, in terms of keeping things dry?

The location, whether lake / ocean should be confirmed tomorrow.

My feeling from the producer however is that keeping risk to passengers at a minimum is part of the plan.

D'oh! I just realised, the storytellers will probably be wearing life vests. Wonder if I can make that work to my advantage...

....still thinkin....

You don't need to hide the mics if there's no camera, just make 5 reasonably windproof lapel mounts. And range isn't an issue if you can get into a boat nearby. How are you going to monitor 5 completely separate sources?

As above, why not record them one by one away from the boats and, if necessary, add a bit of boat creak and water splash?

I wouldn't rely on G3's for any type of real range. If you can stay within 30-50 feet of all 5 boats, you might be ok, but is it worth the risk?

If you want to do this right and impress your client, get the proper gear.

If you can't do Zaxcom recording tx's and matching receivers or Lectro 411's (and stay close to the boats) maybe a lav mic directly into a small flash recorder (à là Zoom or Edirol) x5.

As far as mounting the lavs, put the transmitter up high on the lifejacket and get some Rycote Overcovers for the mic head.

What I don't understand is that if there are no cameras why does it matter where the people are?

I say the same thing. If it's a sound-only event, you could do it as a radio play in a studio with sound effects! I'm not sure why an "authentic" presentation at sea overcomes the importance of the performance itself.

Seriously, I think doing the whole thing with wild lines onshore would work better. Otherwise, the risk of noise due to water noise and wind noise will be a major challenge, plus the need to get the receiver within reasonable range (maybe with an LPDA antenna).

" My job is to record 5 of the storytelers. "

unreasonable expectations??

it depends...

budget ??

" performance in the evening. "

run-through = rehearsal (with all the risks of a performance)...

what "performance" ?? live audience (where?), or what ??

" I would prefer to keep my Nomad on dry land. "

why ? no insurance ?? <yellow flag!>

" What have you all found to be the practical range of G3s?

it depends

And how does that differ across water, if at all? "

it gets a bit better

and: " If you don't have the right tools, it's best to get them or risk failure. "

<yellow flag>

" do Zaxcom recording tx's "

how about 5 x Zoom ?

after all, once the boats are launched, there is nothing you can do...

<yellow flag>

" involving some passengers and people watching from the shore (?) "

people on shore watching storytelling, from a distance, but not hearing it ??

<yellow flag> (they don't know what they are doing!)

and SAFETY <red flag>

" need to rent 3 more. "

why rent 3 Senn Evo wireless...?

" How about salt water? " + " the event of capsizing "

not good <yellow flag> L&D

Countryman EMW's

L&D

" As there are no cams, "

proper wind gags, and exposed is OK, probably best!

" cheaper solutions that work? "

<yellow flag>

and SAFETY <red flag>