Sony F55 and F5

api

Sony has introduced two new models in their Cine Alta-series of cameras, F5 and F55.

F5 is a significant upgrade over F3. F55 is positioned below F65 in the product line.

The audio inputs and timecode are on separate modules. IMHO, they really did their homework on this one. I think that these will sell like hot cakes.

To quote:

"The connections you need

The camera offers vital connections, including four HD-SDI jacks, HDMI®, USB, DC IN connection, a removable XLR audio module and a removable time code/genlock module. The XLR inputs accept balanced analog signals, provide 48-Volt phantom power and will accept four channels of AES/EBU digital audio with an expected firmware upgrade."

www.sony.com/35mm

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's one of the many online summaries of the cameras with some pix:

http://www.studiodaily.com/2012/10/sony-reveals-f5-and-f55-cinealta-4k-cameras/

A paragraph from that article:

=====

Pricing and Availability

Wondering how much all this will cost? So are we. Sony says both cameras are slated to ship in February 2013, with pricing to be announced. That gives them some time to figure out what the market will bear, but it's clear that Sony's prices will be determined in large part by what the competition is doing. Consider that the F55 is aimed pretty squarely at the same market as the Red Epic and the Canon C500, while the F5 is targeting the Red Scarlet and the Canon 1DX, to get an idea where the prices are likely to fall.

=====

Bloom's guess/quote/whatever sounds about right. But will be interesting to see what price Sony settles on.

No sign of the XLR module yet and no price information either. It does look quite good though.

Could it be that the audio module and timecode module are actually included in the price? Maybe they are removable just to make room for a 3D rig setup?

In this picture there appears to be some sort of module between the camera and the battery: pic.twitter.com/RGPCiVkO

Those look like 4 pin Sony style connectors though, not XLR3 connectors.

fan...

Yes. A big gaping hole with huge teeth. I can hear it from this picture alone. FFVVVvvvvVV

There's this horrible monitor that Sony makes that has a fan in it. Looks just like this one.

And is it just me or does it look a bit skewed right there at the fan? The SDI connector and the hirose on top seems.... photoshopped.

That's an early prototype. The shipping version will not have the fan on the external recorder visible like that. I'm not sure if there is a fan on the camera body or not. They did say that they have worked on thermal issues, so my guess is that this will be one of the more silent S35 form factor cameras... especially if used without the external recorder module.

Some panic has descended on the Red Camera community because of the Sony announcement. Red is about to drop the prices on the Epic and Scarlet cameras as of October 31st, which they chalk up to "manufacturing efficiencies." My guess is that they'll slash about 20% off current prices just to keep the cameras competitive with Sony's products. People who have bought $40,000 Red Epic's in the last six months are not happy about it, but new owners are understandably pleased.

Price Cuts Announced by Jim Jannard

Analysis by NoFilmSchool

My take is that Red is irritated that they're being nibbled on the low end by what they feel are cheap, inferior cameras like the Sony F3 (and the new F5), while being challenged by expensive cameras like the Alexa and the F65. And I know they're flummoxed by the Alexa pretty much taking over the American episodic TV production business. They could conceivably get caught in the squeeze inbetween.

Note that the Sony F65 is about to get a firmware upgrade to 8K (!!!), which I guess makes it the best camera. More pixels are better, right? ::)

Even without the Epic price drop, they still are Nr1 in price/spec.

We could also see RED's moove as kikking the ass of some fat boys that want to over charge the film community.

Who will want to spend more than 50'000 for a 4k camera today? I wonder how the Delta can survive this? Hope Beauviala has a lot of fans to seel his (beautiful) 120'000$ cam.

True that this moove is more in favor of the renter and the one who wants to buy an Epic, than the renting houses and the one that have allready bought their Epic.

I'm not afraid for RED. I am afraid to tell you, there will be some RED cameras around for a long time.

Pat

" the Alexa pretty much taking over the American episodic TV production business. "

and the major commercials... and moving into major features as well...

" kikking the ass of some fat boys that want to over charge the film community. "

err :wacko:

who is reducing their price by 20% ?? = who was charging 20% too much ??

meanwhile, Panavision is making themselves over into a rental house for digital cameras, and pushing the superiority of their lenses...

their representatives told me that Alexa's are the most rented, followed by Sony.