Opinions on the Audio Ltd En2 series?

Karri

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not quite correct, as the Audio Ltd. website tells us:

That's to me at least 64, and if they used the term "user selectable" as I think they do, the EN-2 could save and edit up to 32 "user preset" freqs (in the specified range) in addition to the "factory preset" freqs. Similar to the G3 "U" bank. This would be a GREAT advantage over the 2040 series.

Can anybody confirm this?

BTW audioltd.com seems a little outdated and incomplete: I can't find any mention of TXP, MTX, or the plug-on TX that was announced a while ago.

Just checked my DX2 and can confirm this, frequencies tuneable in 25kHz steps and then saveable in one of 32 "user" banks. Preset banks are also available and are tuned to an an intermod-free plan I think.

" and if they used the term "user selectable" as I think they do, "

they do, and the range of frequencies selectable is from the low end of the units' range to the high end in 25kHz steps, just as the Senn Evo wireless do.

note that the Senn evolution, like the Audio's, and others, can either select from preset freq's (which can be user stored) or tune across the entire range in 25kHz steps...

Lectro's have groups, too, as well as 100kHz steps across their range...

64 frequencies that's pretty better ! Does the scanner can scan the user's frequencies or only the preset frequencies ?

I really like the 2020 and 2040 sound but the lack of integrated scanner is a huge weak point.

Has anyone tested the Wysicom wireless with its 120 MHz band ?

64 frequencies that's pretty better ! Does the scanner can scan the user's frequencies or only the preset frequencies ?

I really like the 2020 and 2040 sound but the lack of integrated scanner is a huge weak point.

Wisycom MCR42 ENG Receiver

• Switching bandwidth 208 or 232 MHz in the UHF range
  • L - 470 - 678 MHz: M - 566 - 798 MHz: H - 590 - 822 MHz
  • 40 groups of 60 frequencies fully user programmable

The scanner will scan through either the preset frequencies or the frequencies saved in the "user" bank. It won't scan when the rx is in "tune" mode (i.e. 25kHz steps). The scanner works in either "tx" or "free" mode, where is will scan for a tx signal or a free frequency respectively. There is no spectrum display like you get on a Lectrosonics system.

This is how my DX2 dual receiver works, but I have a feeling that the newer slot in receiver works differently. I saw one at a show this week and seem to remember some kind of frequency spectrum readout on the display. Can't be 100% sure though as I didn't stay too long.

Not sure if you're aware but you can do a frequency scan with a 2040 system, you have to use an ancient Palm Pilot though and it's awkward to say the least.

• 2 months later...

So today I tried out an EN2 kit vs a 2040 kit at the local dealer.

En2 TXP ("professional" TX) with DX2 (dual true-diversity RX)

2040 TX with DX.

Both new, out of their shipping box, each with a new Sanken COS-11.

And the decision, for me, was easy.

Reach:

Here in Germany (as in most of Europe) we're limited to 50 mW anyway. So I expected reach to be about the same, and it was.

As has been stated in this thread, En2 basically have unlimited choice of frequencies (in their 40 MHz bandwidth) - 32 factory presets, and 32 freely assignable "user" presets switchable in 25 kHz (or 0.025 MHz) steps.

2040 has 32 fixed frequencies.

En2 wins here.

Handling:

The "wheel" type control on the En2 is really self-explaining. Took me about 10 seconds to learn how to configure the unit.

En2 units can not be remote controlled, and the TX does not transmit battery status.

Power, Antenna A/B, and No Signal LEDs are on top and therefore visible when the unit is in a bag. The OLED display on the front is only needed for configuration.

Both TXP and DX2 can be externally powered. Internal power fully relies on AA size batteries, and I was told they run for about half a day on one set. Battery door is an issue if you don't expect the battery to drop out, but I can get used to it. I had batteries jump out of the silver Lectro miniature TX as well. Due to the TX using only one AA battery, it wouldn't make sense to use a P48 adapter like you can use with the 2040.

The mic and output cable connect via a Binder multipin screwable connector that looks and feels about as rugged as the 2040's Lemo connector.

The 2040 series needs at least the infrared thingy that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. The TX does transmit battery level to the DX. Status LEDs are on top as well - On the 2020, this was at the bottom end and therefore they weren't that great for bag use. The TX uses 9V blocks, so you need two different types of batteries and chargers for the 2040 series.

Both use the same housing, the difference is only in color: one is silver, one is black.

No clear winner, one is self-explaining, the other has remote control. Well, if we count the Mini TX that's also available in the EN2 range, we have a remote controllable TX there, too, which also needs the infrared key.

Sound:

En2 has a little less bass and a lot more treble than 2040. Overall sound was, to my ears, more linear in the En2, and in direct comparison, the 2040 sounded a little "wooden", like an old recording.

Lo-cut is switchable between two frequencies I don't exactly remember but think 50 and 120 Hz, and can be disabled completely.

I also liked the En2 limiter better than the 2040's as it kicks in softer and therefore is less audible.

En2 wins for sound, too.

Budget:

Two 2 channels of En2 cost only a little more than one channel of 2040, and you get the same level of overall quality. I wonder how they do this at Audio Ltd.??

En2 wins hands down.

My dealer strongly advised me to NOT get the cheaper TX (non-P), though, as they got mostly negative reports from people who had bought them, and all traded them in for TXPs when these were available.

Interesting that you found the lower-end system to sound better than the high-end one. Of course, it's all subjective.

Can anyone point to any documents or pages with information about this En2 TXP transmitter? As someone pointed out, it's not mentioned on audioltd.com. Google finds some German dealers' pages but I can't find the difference between the two clearly stated.

Interesting that you found the lower-end system to sound better than the high-end one. Of course, it's all subjective.

Can anyone point to any documents or pages with information about this En2 TXP transmitter? As someone pointed out, it's not mentioned on audioltd.com. Google finds some German dealers' pages but I can't find the difference between the two clearly stated.

Yes, I found that interesting too. Didn't really expect that. And yes, it's completely subjective.

I guess my hearing is good, as I clearly dislike other cheaper wireless systems over their more expensive siblings. One may speculate that En2 use newer, cheaper components than 2040, but didn't need much R&D otherwise. Specs on the Audio Ltd. website are about the same for both series, I think En2 has a slightly lower self-noise figure, whereas 2040 has less tolerance in frequency response.

I couldn't find a lot of info on the web at all. That's why I called the dealer for a demo. The basic differences, as they told me, are:

The "standard" TX has 24 MHz of switching bandwidth, a 3.5mm TRS jack, can't be powered externally, and users had reported a few dBs of sensitivity variance between units.

The "professional" TXP has 40 MHz of switching bandwidth, a 5-pin Binder connector, can use external power, and sensitivity is the same in all units.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still waiting for them to arrive from England. Will post when I've used them a few days.

Ok thanks, I will wait anxiously! I'm almost done on those wireless, but I have to wait since we haven't yet any frequency regulamentation in my country...I don't to buy again two sets in 2014....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there folks,

Interesting... 100mw output. Any brochure can confim this information?

If it´s true and you can get a set including true diversity receiver at a reasonable price I´m thinking of this one instead of Sennheiser 2000. Senny compander and frequency weirdness is killing me.

BTW Winter, I guess if we wait for Spanish goverment to stablish a frequency regulation I´m not sure when we can make next purchase. I assume 4g is going to take 700-800 range.

The main issue is that there's so much RF pollution in that range right now. Here in Barcelona the spectrum is almost full from 790 to 850 (more or less), where those TV channels will be allocated when g4 starts workin'?

OTOH...well...we're in Spain...in september I've tried telephone to the Ministry to have more information on the topic...they did'nt know what I was talkin'about...soooo spanish....

BTW Winter, I guess if we wait for Spanish goverment to stablish a frequency regulation I´m not sure when we can make next purchase. I assume 4g is going to take 700-800 range.

So, I really like the EN2 scanner, the wide radio frequency. The range is correct, but unfortunately the TX gives too many noise. I would "love" a 2040 with all those capabilities (range and scan).

So, I really like the EN2 scanner, the wide radio frequency. The range is correct, but unfortunately the TX gives too many noise. I would "love" a 2040 with all those capabilities (range and scan).

Did you find the noise floor to be too high in a Lab test or in a real life test?

Can you explain 'correct range' please?

Did you find the noise floor to be too high in a Lab test or in a real life test?

No lab test, just plug to a good mixer (a Mixy) , made the level with a good speaker with a cos 11, and hear it with an headphone.

Can you explain 'correct range' please?

It means not too bad, but not so much. That's just a test made one day, in one place, on a free frequency. It may varies.

No lab test, just plug to a good mixer (a Mixy) , made the level with a good speaker with a cos 11, and hear it with an headphone.

The answer I was afraid of...

Something comparable with a G3 or something that justify the price?