New iPhone?

samsound

Sigh... I wish more people would start making fun of the ridiculous Android phones that have been coming out. Like 5"+ displays. Seriously? Looks like people are holding a tablet to their face and they look silly. People cant even fit them in their pockets and dont know what to do with them! Will they still be laughing at Apple when guys have to carry phone purses with car batteries attached to them just to keep the phone powered for a day around just to carry their phone with them?! Thought we were over those days.

post-3241-0-97460300-1351612025_thumb.jp

I had a mobile phone from Motorola that looked exactly like this. Came in a canvas carry bag and everything.

You were technically hip! I had a car phone back in 1988, and people thought I was happening. I always pointed out that William Conrad in the old Cannon TV series had a car phone in 1971. And I think Perry Mason had one in 1964-1965.

The original Motorola Dynatac cellphone was gigantic:

mobile-evolution-1.jpg

Over here we called the Motorola "The Brick". Roughly the same size and heavy. I thought I was way cool when I got one. And it was possible given the huge size to "lose" it in the car or house - just like you can with mobiles now.

On another thought I have been using some of the latest offerings from Samsung, and yes I thought were way too big, but the large size doesn't maybe them that awkward and the large screen turns them into great mini tablets; iPad mini with phone option?

A friend of mine went to a Verizon store a little while ago to look for a "small" smartphone because she didn't want something like the SIII. The smallest smartphone in the store was the iPhone4s. If there is a little Android phone, VZW didn't have it on the floor. Remember when the iPhone came out and people predicted an iPhone mini because "people will not want to carry a giant tablet with them". Go figure.

• 1 month later...

I often explain how my communication with clients changed dramatically over the years, from the beeper with answering service, to pagers and a cell phone with lame battery and service, to two-way pagers (Skytel), to finally using just the phone. Still have some of the equipment laying around.

I'm always incredulous when I encounter people who are openly hostile about cell phones, or take delight in the fact that they don't own one. Not only do I get about 90% of my work via cell phones, they save me an ocean of disasters in the event of delays for meetings, problems on the way to locations, or last-minute changes that can't be solved any other way. A lot of people see cell phones as a nuisance and a distraction; I say their benefits outweigh their drawbacks, but I concede you have to actively avoid letting them take over your life to eliminate the negatives.

This is exactly the Briefcase Phone that my father had! He used to show up, in public, set the briefcase down and make a phone call, just to impress everyone around. The calls were usually something silly like: "Hi, you'll never guess where I'm calling you from!" The funny thing is, Pop never carried a briefcase for work (he was just a cameraman not a businessman) but he carried this briefcase so he could make conspicuous phone calls.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently got an iPad mini and sold my iPad2 and also have an iphone 5 ifind that both are better sizes closer to the ideal.

I prefer the design of the current iteration of iPhone to the competition, hated the design of the 4 and 4s and never bought them. I was seriously considering an SIII before the 5 came out.

The size changes are appropriate for the interfaces.

4" is about right for the portable smart phone type device that you carry everywhere small enough to be convenient but large enough to use the features of modern smartphones internet email etc. etc. much smaller and the interfaces on touch screens become awkward much larger and get the tablet face effect when you put it to your ear.

I think the iPad mini is better for when you need a data device for a specific task but still need mobility. Being able to walk around and log data while you do it whether it is in a factory a hospital or mixing a concert. When doing this with the regular iPad holding the iPad on your palm or by one side is just not as good for walking and working. The iPad mini can actually be easily grasped in one hand while being typed on or adjusted by the other. This would be most excellent if it were used as a digital clip board or mobile mix control panel. I just find the design size and aesthetic far more pleasing.

• 2 weeks later...