Sandy aftermath

Eric Toline

Sounds like NYC is gonna take a few days to get back up and running. Subways are gonna be a few days at the least before they're running again. I live in Astoria, and luckily we have power, but not having the trains is going to be a major issue. I'll be learning the bus schedule very quickly. Seems as though southern Manhattan is in shambles as well. My guess, it is going to be several days until productions get back to shooting, atleast productions with any common sense.

I hope all of my fellow NYC/NJ area soundies are safe and sound, no pun intended.

Jason Hemmerlin

We've (the TV show - family is fine) been day-to-day since the storm. Just got word this afternoon that we're not shooting tomorrow, but instead having a production meeting to help figure out getting back up and going. There was a hope to be able to shoot tomorrow, so I can only imagine the hope at tomorrow's meeting is that we can shoot on Thursday.

The Mayor's Office revoked all film permits for today and all on location permits for tomorrow. They are allowing a few "qualified" stages to be utilized tomorrow and I think 30 Rock is trying to shoot.

The MTA is saying it might be 4-5 days before the subways are operational again. A lot of the bridges are opening again (apparently the Lincoln tunnel never closed! I can't believe that after seeing pics of the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel). But power is out all over. New Jersey is really hurting. The Rockaways were hit hard as was Lower Manhattan and the East Village (a Con Edison transformer, located in the Eastern most part of the East Village, exploded Monday night).

• 2 weeks later...

Just shot a post Sandy bit for a popular network in a popular reality show town that looks WAY worse than what I've seen here in NYC. We may be putting up with power outtages, difficulty in transit (though we make enough to cab it) and for some, flooding....but trust me when I tell you NYC is doing better than some other places.

As of today, my parent's (in Jersey) have had no power since the storm hit, so almost two weeks now. My mom went to my brother's house outside of DC this Monday. My dad insisted on staying behind because he was worried about looters or some such nonsense. What is an 80 year old dude going to do against looters? Anyway, after much talking and cajoling, my dad finally went to my brother's today. Very relieved, to say the least! According to my dad, they probably won't have power where they live until sometime next week. Jersey's a mess!

Unless the news totally got it wrong, a lot of the barrier islands won't have heat till their gas lines are all replaced. They were so worried about gas leaks, and explosions, that they purged the lines with water. Just turning off the gas doesn't get the explosive gas out of the line, just stops the pressure. According to the news, those lines are all toast now because they are not made for water inside, so the valves and meters are shot. I suppose it wasn't an option to get a tanker full of argon (an inert gas used to purge tanks pre-welding).

I am going to assume NatGeo or somebody similar has crews on the ground documenting the massive scale of this. I'm a little fascinated at what it will take to get the subway system back online when you consider EVERYTHING was submerged in salt water. Everything from powering the trains, switches, heat/ventilation systems, MetroCard readers, lighting... everything.

I'm not saying the news isn't reporting what's happening, there is just so much to report it's crazy. Even parts of PA lost power for a week+ because of trees coming down all over the place. Relatively speaking, that's not news that gets anything beyond some local coverage. For most people, no power means no heat. Even gas or oil heat requires power to control the system.