DPA 4060 or 4061 ?

jpbat

For use mainly on SM Lectro, what is the most appropriate ?

The 4060 is the most sensitive, right ? Is it too much for a "general" application ? (say, dialog *and* occasional music recording, like chamber orchestra, or symphonic, or anything acoustic)

Should the 4061, less sensitive, be more adequate ?

4061 would be used in favour of the 4060 on film and drama - and with Lectro we fit a 1k7Ω resistor in series to knock its level down. Also worth considering is the 4071 (with low cut and presence which I sounds better when fitted under clothing.

Tim

For use mainly on SM Lectro, what is the most appropriate ?

The 4060 is the most sensitive, right ? Is it too much for a "general" application ? (say, dialog *and* occasional music recording, like chamber orchestra, or symphonic, or anything acoustic)

Should the 4061, less sensitive, be more adequate ?

Hi Jean-Paul,

The 4060 is the correct choice since, though it is sensitive, it has a wide dynamic range. Mic clipping is at 134 dB and will not overload the SM (at minimum gain) when wired properly. Wire according to our manual or use the DPA DAD3056. Don't use the DPA DAD6021.

I don't recommend the 4061 since we have had multiple mic noise floor complaints with the 4061 in low level dialog use, as with other low sensitivity lavalieres. However, the 4061 is fine with very loud sources such as in front of a trumpet.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

I'll defer to Larry here.

I've only used the 4060 into Lectro transmitters using the hotter Mircodot to TA5 adapter and found it way too hot under most circumstances (I have to turn the transmitter's gain WAY down). With the hotter adapter, the 4061 hasn't given me noise floor issues unless the source is fairly low -- such as a person with a soft voice.

I'll be trying the adapter Larry recommends and see how that fares with the 4060.

(So, ignore my earlier comments -- and even these, if you're so inclined <g>.)

I'll defer to Larry here.

I've only used the 4060 into Lectro transmitters using the hotter Mircodot to TA5 adapter and found it way too hot under most circumstances (I have to turn the transmitter's gain WAY down). With the hotter adapter, the 4061 hasn't given me noise floor issues unless the source is fairly low -- such as a person with a soft voice.

I'll be trying the adapter Larry recommends and see how that fares with the 4060.

(So, ignore my earlier comments -- and even these, if you're so inclined <g>.)

Hi John,

By "hotter adapter" do you mean the DPA DAD6021? If it is the 6021, then it isn't that it is just hotter; it is totally wrong for the SM. That 6021 adapter is only for use with theolder non-servo transmitters.

If it isn't the 6021, then I'll recommend that you ignore my comments in turn.<g>

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

There is if you're over-driving the input buffer prior to the gain control stage.

Hi John,

On older Lectro units and others, the comment about overloading the buffer is absolutely correct. However, there is no input buffer on the Lectro servo units, i.e., all the current transmitters. The gain controlled stage is the input stage and at minimum gain, it has 10 to 20 dB more headroom than the lavaliere mic itself, even without the compressor in the circuit.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

" over-driving the input buffer prior to the gain control stage."

and you did say "lectro's"...

All the Lectro transmitters for the last 15 years have a shunt FET limiter before the input preamp. The nice thing about the shunt limiter is that it is out of the audio circuit until a potential overload comes along, then the excess signal is shunted away. The limiter has a range of 25 to 30 dB. At usual gain settings, the transmitter won't overload until after the typical electret lavaliere microphone is already clipping...At minimum gain, the input will handle 240 uA of peak input current without engaging the limiter...With the new servo-bias input circuit, the shunt limiter can be right at the input. No buffer amplifier is needed. This is because the virtual ground input circuit is very low impedance and is just what the shunt limiter is looking for. The advantage is that the limiter range is at least 30 dB no matter what the transmitter gain setting or input level from the lavaliere mic.

Larry,

You know I'd never ignore your comments -- even if you implored me to do so <g>.

Actually, I'm using Lectro pre-servo transmitters, so the "buffer" consideration applies.

SM: I'll defer to Larry's knowledge of his products. He sorta seems to know what he's talking about. My gain considerations are based in part on conversations I've had with him on the subject in the past.

[snip]

Actually, I'm using Lectro pre-servo transmitters, so the "buffer" consideration applies.

Some older transmitters did have the limiter at the input making the Senator correct but some newer-older units had an input buffer before the limiter, making John correct. The input buffer could and did overload at high levels and the limiter's range could be as little as 8 dB at minimum gain. This overload of the input buffer and frustration with tweaking input values trying to get the best balance of overload, noise performance and limiter action led to having different inputs on three models of transmitters all being sold at the same time. Talk about "It depends."

The current servo system resolves these problems and they will have to pry the diagram out of my cold, dead hands.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

maybe DPA have a record from the serial number?

or do you have one that you know the model number of to compare the output levels with?

though the 4061 and 4063 should output the same level, the difference between the two, is that the 4063 works with the lower voltage from zaxcom radio mics.

For the 4060, the label (wrapped around the cable), with the serial number on it, is white. For the 4061, the label is red.

HOWEVER, I don't know if there are different colors for the 4063 or 4062, or what those colors are, if different.

Also, as Rich said above, the company may know by the serial number.

Email the U.S. DPA distributor. I did a while back, and when they couldn't confirm everything I asked, they contacted the company in Denmark and got a definitive answer from a factory technician.