Venue vs VR Fielld

Brian

" quality advice. "

" the Venue is a great system "

" The VENUE and VR are the same except the VR is portable. "

" I have the VR field and the venue system. The VR field sits in my bag kit for low loader and 2nd unit work. The venue sits in my 19inch rack on my trolley. Both systems have been excellent. "

" the only difference between the 2 units is the NP1 slot on the VRfield, and the rackability of the venu. "

quality you can feel.

Hello,

First time poster, so go easy on me guys. I bought a VR Feild a few years back, despite a rather problematic first run in with one on a reality show (I got a stupid deal on ebay). I think the VR/Venue series is a great concept. Any multi-cast/house reality show you watch is most likely multitracked into Metacorder via multiple Venues. The downside(s) of the "bag friendly" VR Field, as previously stated, are it's akward size and power consumption.

I've done loads of shows wearing a 788T w/ CL-8 and 8x 411's and the 788T w/ CL-8 and Octapack. Multiple 411's will always be heavier than the VR and Octopack. The Octopack's reception (sans wideband antenna) will never be as good as the VR or multiple 411's.

If you (can) ignore the size and power issues, the VR is the most feature rich and cost effective.

There are modes in which you can double up on VR modules (VRT or VRS) to increase sensativity. Another mode allows you to have a "super channel" that allows the unit to switch between two transmitters on the same talent on different blocks, to insure absolute reception, in critical applications. Its versitile in the fact that it can be used on a cart, for an install or in the bag. Then you have Lectro's Lacie Net wireless management software...which I've never used, but I've seen on bigger stage shoots and those sup's seem to enjoy...I guess.

For me, in my market (NYC reality TV and commercial), I liked the idea of being able to replicate one of my friend's bags for a shoot and only having to spend $2000 VS $8000 to match his/her existing talent TX (4xVRT VS 4x411 on a 5 channel mixer). Plus, the fact that you can go to a rental house and rent VRT's for far less than 411's or even SR's.

But...we can't totally ignore the physical/power requirements...not completely. I actually joined this forum after a buddy told me about a chasis mod to the VR Field. I had already concocted such an idea, but did not know where to start.

Upon opening up the VR Field, you can tell it was not a very well thought out adaptation of an otherwise great idea. Theres a good bit of dead space beyond the VR modules. When wearing a bag, as we all know, any added depth weighs on your back exponentially (think about how light a CL-8 actually is VS how much more it extends the bag and then all of those recievers being THAT much farther away from your body). Then you have these massive casings for the circuit board/VR card extenders...totally rediculous. Anyway, point being...poor industrial design.

Next, there's the power consumption. Its a beast. To add insult to injury, the built in NP slot (mearly an NP cap burried in the over-sized chasis) envelopes the battery to a point to where you can't use the battery's meter. Using an external NP cap can rectify the meter issue, but you still have this gaping hole in your expensive RX unit and a power hungry beast that will simply die at the drop of a hat. Also, as previously stated, you can't shut off RX units to conserve power.

So, as I mentioned earlier, there is a Mod work around for size, but unless Lectrosonics ever really re-evaluates the software/hardware design of the VR Field, it is an amazing device that has to be used with kid gloves.

In the end, you have your list of priorities for what your kit has to do for you. Cost vs Feature vs Applicable Use vs Scalability and so on.

You could spend some cash on mod'ing the chasis and buy more NP's or even switch to Hytrons and be totally cool with the VR's flaws, or just save up for more 411's and rest assure your resale value will stay good.

The few times I rent my kit, I plan ahead for the VR's failings. Once I make enough rental revenue off of it, I'll either switch to 411's or modify it. Its kinda like buying LMA's and making enough money off those to buy SM's. i'll never part with the VR though. Maybe just retire it from certain use.

:::thelordcasio

Hello,

First time poster, so go easy on me guys. I bought a VR Feild a few years back

i'll never part with the VR though. Maybe just retire it from certain use.

:::thelordcasio

Firstly, welcome to the forums you are most welcome here especially after a first post like that ;-)

My question (which I hope isn't too off topic) is while I am aware that an Octopack running SR's (a or B) will not be as good as a Venue or VRField... has anyone ever done a direct comparison or used such a system in anger? As I own multiple SR's for me this would be a more financial beneficial route but I'm a firm believer in investing in kit. So, if we could widen the scope of this thread to Venue vs VR Field vs Octopack that would be great.

P.S. Mike, no response required/wanted - thanks

I purchased a used venue 24/25 a while back. It works like a champ. I use it in a studio and small indi films. It is all block 24 and the thing I really like is the software from Lectrosonics that lets me scan for clear freqs from my laptop, Makes for a very easy set up' I use ac for power not yet decided on a dc source setup.One thing that is a challenge

is I get a lot of work involving 2 or 3 story locations with no elevators and the cart it a workout. I have been thinking for those jobs to transfer the venue and Furman power supply to a small SKB Rack case. Also I have been thinking of having Lectrosonics change the narrow band to a wide band unit. What I don't understand what antennas one would use with wide band since the SNA has to be set to a set frequency.

Hope this helps, I guess it comes down to what works best for you

Cheers

Tom

I recently plunked on an Octopack (thank you Solid Goldberger) after coveting them for a while now. I've been acquiring SRs for the last couple years and want to use them for everything. Sold my Venue a few months ago.

So far, so great. I'm doing an indy Western and need to be really portable at times, but get to work off my Foldup quite a bit as well, so I'm doing a big bag setup. With the batwings I'm getting very good performance. The Octopack is really well made and fits nicely. I've yet to do much just using the whips. I plan to get the SR upgrades as soon as I can begin phasing them in to the mothership.

I have owned an octopac. I swapped it for a VR field. I couldn't get reliable range from the octopac. I do get reliable range from the VR Field. I also find the menus much easier to navigate on the VR field.

Hi David, that is interesting to hear. What block were you using here in the UK (23/606)?

Octopack with SRb is a whole different ball game.

"Trust me", he said, as he went for the wallet.

Best,

Snake Oil Fisher

That is very encouraging to hear. I've already booked my SR's to be upgraded in December after I finish my current series.

" I think this account should be suspended?! "

while this may not be an appropriate forum for them, and they maybe using "spammers" to put the word out, I'd consider that it might be a legitimate firm, with poor English language skills available on staff...

their poor English alone does not completely condemn them in my mind...