Added to Gallery of Sound Carts

Jeff Wexler

ElanorR,

Yes the case detaches from the base and is fastened by 4 hand bolts. There are metal frame pieces bolted to the wood case with threaded holes and the bolts grab from below.

I would say its on the heavy side. The case's construction is 1/2" ply instead if 1/4". Our gear we use weighs a certain amount and I didn't want to go flimsy on the construction. Since I purchased the Meon LiFe, I sheded 50 pound from this thing.

Basically, it's heavy enough to handle well when steering, yet light enough to bump up a small flight of stairs with help.

-Devendra

• 2 months later...

I've just started designing a new cart and I'm loving this gallery! Such a great resource for ideas!

Devendra, I really like your cart and am building something similar. It looks like I've got the same kit as you.. Are you able to tell me how many RU's the main unit is? (From mix 12 to the smart view duo) any reason you built an extra box for your receivers instead of just incorporating them into the main unit? Lastly how did you secure your deva and mix 12 to the rack shelves?

Thanks in advance

Trev

I am a fan of enclosed carts like this design. I also like that no space is needlessly taken by shock isolators (the rubber pneumatic wheels give more isolation than most isolation cabinets). In addition to keeping the footprint small, the design slso eliminates a significant amount of weight.

Very nice, Devendra.

GT

From my iPad in Row F, Seat D.

Thanks Mike!! Thanks Glen!!

Trev: The main rack is 12U. The top comes off if and when I remote the receivers/transmitters to the set if I need to farther away. It's also comes in handy for insert car work. I put the bag in the front cab of the tow vehicle and run a snake to the 2 space unit up by the village. Then I get to run my shark fins even closer to the picture car being towed. Trev, the Mix-12 is is velcrowed to a Middle Atlantic SSL sliding rack shelf. The Deva is velcrowed to something similar but it was a custom shelf that I found at Backstage Equipment in Sunland. Someone build for them a sliding drawer with the Middle Atlantic sliders flipped horizontal to make a lower profile design. It is lighter duty than the SSL but it's holding a smaller item. It's nice to be able to Slide the Deva out when needed. Trev, build it how you like it. This is where your creativity shines!

-Devendra

Yesss... I love it when the original size of the file is big so we can zoom in and get into the details. Nice one Devendra and thanks Jeff for that gallery !

A simple tip for the gallery here (since it is a little wonky, like the Search function, and I cannot find a way to improve it).

Click on gallery tab, click on thumbnail image JWSOUND Gallery, Sort by: Name tab. Then at the top of the list are the 2 main galleries:

and

You can also use the links in the sidebar --- these will take you to really nice galleries off this site.

So you don't think the shock isolators are worth it? I had included them. The tires won't isolate it when it's in the back of the truck/plane

I did quite a lot of testing before I built the one case based cart that I built, looking into the relative benefits of shock absorber frame for the rack vs. standard rack mount (no shock). My conclusion was the the wheel assembly that I had devised in connection with the material and construction of the support shelves, would be quite sufficient in protecting the gear. This protection was a consideration only for my use of the cart --- pushing it around while it was working, traveling in a truck or trailer, and shipping by air in a container or on a palette. My case based cart was a one piece case with the wheels mounted to the case. It was not designed like many of the case based carts that have 2 or more cases that can be separated. For extended shipping I would always pull certain key components off the cart shelves (typically the recorder, sometimes the wireless, sometimes the mixer) but never considered the idea of the cart becoming a fully loaded shippable container. The things that needed really extra protection would be packed in their own individual shipping cases.

I would like to know if those that have what seems to be the quite common SKB (large) shockmounted rack case, if they ship this case fully loaded with all the gear.

Jeff,

I do not pull any equipment out of my SKBs, I put the doors on and ship.

Since airlines are now freighting everything on palettes, I do have to separate the main SKB and the wireless SKB cases from the BGG chasis - becoming 3 pieces. So I think there is an advantage to the shock absorbers on the main case, as it will be lifted and shifted and banded onto the palette - no wheels in that situation to be an additional shock absorber.

When I did a film in Morocco, my gear went by truck to LAX, then by air, LAX to JFK. JFK to Paris, Paris to Casablanca. Then it was trucked to Ouarzazate, another 200 miles.

On arrival I found all my equipment was on the third floor - no elevator, so we had to carry everything downstairs to re-assemble the cart.

Since there were over 5 different loads and un loads - that equipment was handled, bounced and shoved many times. I was very thankful for the SKB Shockrack design. Everything was in perfect working order.

Finally, about four months ago a Teamster was sleepy on the tail gate and when I rolled my cart off the gate it was 6 inches off the deck. The cart did a slow roll and fell on it's side. After righting it, nothing had shifted, and everything fired up and worked without a glitch.

So I think if you are in situations where the transport of your cart is not under your total control, an SKB Shockrack case is a lifesaver.

post-273-0-86924600-1357702206_thumb.jpg

Jeff,

I do not pull any equipment out of my SKBs, I put the doors on and ship.

Since airlines are now freighting everything on palettes, I do have to separate the main SKB and the wireless SKB cases from the BGG chasis - becoming 3 pieces. So I think there is an advantage to the shock absorbers on the main case, as it will be lifted and shifted and banded onto the palette - no wheels in that situation to be an additional shock absorber.

When I did a film in Morocco, my gear went by truck to LAX, then by air, LAX to JFK. JFK to Paris, Paris to Casablanca. Then it was trucked to Ouarzazate, another 200 miles.

On arrival I found all my equipment was on the third floor - no elevator, so we had to carry everything downstairs to re-assemble the cart.

Since there were over 5 different loads and un loads - that equipment was handled, bounced and shoved many times. I was very thankful for the SKB Shockrack design. Everything was in perfect working order.

Finally, about four months ago a Teamster was sleepy on the tail gate and when I rolled my cart off the gate it was 6 inches off the deck. The cart did a slow roll and fell on it's side. After righting it, nothing had shifted, and everything fired up and worked without a glitch.

So I think if you are in situations where the transport of your cart is not under your total control, an SKB Shockrack case is a lifesaver.

attachicon.gifIMAG0201 copy.jpg

nice cart!

• 1 month later...