DPA 4017b

Jason Todd

Just curious if anyone out there is using the newer version of the DPA 4017. I know the original version had some problems with RF and the eq rings were a bit wonky. I'm in the market for a new shotgun for use in NYC. I love the directionality of the Sanken CS3e, but would like something lower in self noise with a higher SPL that still offers a high amount of rejection. It seems like the DPA 4017b could be a good option, but I'm wondering why it's not more popular.

I used one for the first time swinging boom on a week long shoot a few months back. I've got CS3e, AKG460, MKH50 and have used Cmit, MKH60, 416 a fair bit. I really liked the DPA ( B version ), it had a very 'sweet' sound - rejection was quite good, tho not like a Sanken but I much prefer the sound of it to CS3e, and it required a fairly light touch, though that may have been the mount. Reach was really good for the length of the mic, which felt like it had a long 'solid' sweet spot.

I've used 4017 a bunch of times. I didn't know there were different versions, so I don't know witch one Ive been using. Is the "b" model very new? I probably had the old model.

The 4017 is a very sweet sounding mic, but, there are two draw backs to it that I have experienced:

1. Not very moisture/ high humidity resistant at all.

2. Higher noise floor than average boom mics.

This is why I rather go with a MKH-mic instead. I hope the "B" version can improve on this, then it would be an awesome mic.

The noise floor was high enough, that when I at last found a really good, quite interview location - tight shot with the mic very close - I was getting a quite noticible background noise floor from the mic. Tried a mkh 50, no noise floor. Tried a Schoeps CCM 41, no noice floor. At that distance, there really shouldn't be bg noise from the mic itself.

I thought my 4017 might be faulty, but I checked with another mixer on the show and he said he had the same problem with his 4017, so he didn't use the it either.

About the humidity, I've done alot of similar shots with either a Mkh-mic or a 4017. I've never had a problem with the Mkh-mics in high humidity places, but I've had it quite a few times with 4017. Not a real A and B test, but it's a pretty clear guide line for me.

I own and regularly use a 4017b which i bought in March this year. I love the sound and it is a very versatile mic. i've used it in the rain and snow, high humidity and heat with no complaints. for those who don't know this mic i would say the sound is much flatter than the usual suspects. it sounds very natural, not so much boost in the high end. i haven't noticed any noise floor problems, but i haven't done an AB test either...

i love it, but that's just me!

About the humidity, I've done alot of similar shots with either a Mkh-mic or a 4017. I've never had a problem with the Mkh-mics in high humidity places, but I've had it quite a few times with 4017. Not a real A and B test, but it's a pretty clear guide line for me.

That's weird and worrisome.

Check out this post by Brian Copenhagen:

He did some kind-of shower test with various mikes, and the DPA 4017 did quite well. Of course, it's not a real-world test. Shifts in humidity are probably what did the DPA in, much like other mikes.

It kind of sucks, though. I think high resistance to humidity was one of the major selling points of this microphone.

Proof that the MKH-series mikes will probably never die.

Also, the Hopefully, he'll chime in on this one, so we can see if he had the same problems.

Also, Rasmus, have you had much trouble with RF and this microphone? I was also researching it when I was trying to get a good indoor/outdoor shotgun, but had trouble finding info about this one. Ever since, I've also been researching connectors and cable to help with that kind of stuff—if it ever became a major issue.

EDIT: Noticed just now on the DPA website, it says the 4017B has "Excellent RF immunity". I can't find a page for the original model, though, to see if it said the same thing....

Sawrab

I found de DPA 4017 v1 to be extremely sensitive to handling noise, making a tonal 'boom' sound around 100Hz. So much I had to apply the lowcut filter, which was way to strong for my taste and made the audio sound tiny. Even when held in my hand, the 4017 made this tonal boom boom sound at every touch, so it was not the panamic boom or rycote. It could be that this was an abused rental, but it was a reason for me to not use it again.

Haven't had RF issues.

That said, I liked the sound of it, and it has also very neutral off-axis sound. However, the Schoeps CMIT 5u has a similar sound, but two low cut filters (one mild and one strong) and also a high boost. I much prefer the Schoeps CMIT.

Good to know, Michiel. I believe there's a permanent third order low cut built in at 50hz and the low cut ring is at 120hz on the newer verion, the 4017b. Hopefully, that will correct the issue that people seem to have had with the original. I'm gonna try to demo one in the next week or two. I appreciate you posting your experience.

• 2 months later...

I have two 4017b's that I've had for a few months now. I A/B'ed with Schoeps CMIT, 416s, CMCMK41 and CS3.

Personally, I found it to have a better reach and rejection than any of the mics listed above. The sound is sweet, tho relatively flat and conservative. Very similar to a CMIT. Have had no problems with humidity or noise floor issues.

Another perk is the weight. It is by far the lightest mic of what I listed above. Basically half the weight of a 416, which is a serious consideration...especially in the age of video ;)

• 9 months later...

He guys, I just bought a DPA 4017B-R kit ( with full rycote suspension ). Paid for it by selling my Schoeps CMIT. I own a Mkh50 ( for interior/Interview/plant ) and a CS3e ( outdoors long shot/noisy location ). Here are my thoughts:

CS3e

Great rear rejection, lots of reach. But it sounds very synthetic, not natural at all. It's a must to have in a kit as it is a life saver for problematic location. It pulls dialogue out of nowhere. But it can't handle loud sounds, it distort easily.

MKH50

I love this mic, it's round, lots of low end, makes everything more intimate and warm if placed close enough. Great to capture sounds, music etc... It can also handle a lots of level.

DPA4017B

Love at first listen. Mic is clear, lots of reach, more then the CMIT almost comparable to CS3e. Off axis is smooth but very directional mic. It as filter ( low cut and high boost ). Incredibly light weight, and so small. It can handle an unbelievable amount of SPL. It does sound like an CMIT.

My two cents

My opinions are pretty inline with Pascal. I now own two Schoeps CMC641s and a CS3e. I like, but don't love the CS3e. It's an extremely useful mic, but it doesn't sound as good to me as a CMIT or the 4017b. Still thinking of picking one up. I know Pro-Sound has a pair of used ones for sale if you're looking to check one out. Also, Jon Moore just bought one and he loves it. Maybe he'll chime in here. The Schoeps MK41 is still my favorite sound mic for location sound, so I'm gravitating towards a CMIT. I do love the DPA lavs, though. Picked up a pair of 4063's a couple of months ago and they sound fantastic.

• 2 years later...