We have chat!

Jeff Wexler

I have added Chat feature to JWSOUND

Here are some general tips on its use (looking at Chat Bar):

1. on off switch to the right side will Hide Chat (so you don't have to look at it at all)

2. Chat Rooms are Group Chats --- everyone online can participate in any of the Rooms available

and each member can start their own Room. You can leave the Room by clicking on the

open door icon. You have to LEAVE the main chat room (JWSOUNDGROUP Meeting Room) before

you can start your own Chat Room.

3. Chat (nn) is the general chat --- clicking on a member starts a chat with that member

General Note: Clicking on any of the headers in the bar will bring up the feature and at the top of the header once launched, there is a GEAR icon for settings (this is where you can turn on or off the annoying "pop" sound for chat activity). Clicking on the header bar again will collapse that feature.

One function that often goes unnoticed is the function of having a chat in its own window --- this is referred to as "Pop Out the Chat".

Great! Well done Jeff!

This chat is from Facebook?

Not from Facebook but Facebook uses similar software/programming and the current user interface is modeled after Facebook "look and feel". It is stand alone software package from Arrow company (it's called arrowchat) that I installed and configured and integrated into the IPB software that this forum is built on.

Yes, unmoderated but only open to registered members who are online. The main Forum is unmoderated also, always has been, but things happen a little more slowly when making a post on the Discussion Group. Chat can get out of hand and it is not something that can be moderated, real time, which is the only sort of moderation that would be effective. It is what it is, if it gets out of hand at least it isn't polluting the whole site. Any suggestions?

Suggestion:

Ban political discussions on chat. There seem to be a few misguided egomaniacs who think their opinion is the only one that matters and therefore it's okay to call anyone with a dissenting view nasty names.

A few such exceptions aside, we're mostly a good group -- if the rules are clearly understood we should be able to self-police.

If anyone abuses it, can you lock them out of chat?

There were server problems yesterday, I don't think it is the addition of the Chat feature. It is true that there is a lot of additional data that is loaded --- mainly the list of users available to chat and some other things, but we'll have to see if the slow loading persists today. There are ways to analyze and discover exactly what resources are being used and how each page is loading and I will be doing these things in the next day or so.

I don't know yet whether this can happen or not. The software I'm using, arrowchat, will work on mobile devices (iOS for sure, not sure about Android) if you use full size browser (which I know is sort of impossible on a little screen). To make it work on the default mobile template that comes into play when you use a mobile device, I will have to insert some code into the mobile template (and I haven't figured out how to do that yet).

• 2 weeks later...

I have added Chat feature to JWSOUND

Here are some general tips on its use (looking at Chat Bar):

1. on off switch to the right side will Hide Chat (so you don't have to look at it at all)

2. Notifications is a notification system and I'm not quite sure how it works yet

3. Chat Rooms are Group Chats --- everyone online can participate in any of the Rooms available

and each member can start their own Room. You can leave the Room by clicking on the

open door icon. You have to LEAVE the main chat room (JWSOUNDGROUP Meeting Room) before

you can start your own Chat Room.

4. Chat (x) is the general chat --- clicking on a member starts a chat with that member

5. Applications (on the left of the Chat Bar) is for additional apps, features, not yet installed

General Note: Clicking on any of the headers in the bar will bring up the feature and at the top of the header once launched, there is a GEAR icon for settings (this is where you can turn on or off the annoying "pop" sound for chat activity). Clicking on the header bar again will collapse that feature.

One function that often goes unnoticed is the function of having a chat in its own window --- this is referred to as "Pop Out the Chat".

Video Chat: There is a Video Chat feature which at this point does not work so well but you are welcome to try it. It is really pretty badly designed and relies heavily on Adobe Flash (of course).

I'm sorry if I'm missing something here, but I've been searching these pages over and over and can't seem to find this Chat feature. How do I get to it?