New radio mic set.

sergiofucchi

Hi guys as for parts needed for the cabling it's really simple ( and I don't mean to be an ass ): its cables and connectors, nothing more. It's all in the measuring and planning. I made that kit happen over a long period and I refined it. The biggest thing I can tell you is that I am using the DB25 for both power and audio out of the sra.

That's why I Run a little cable making business on the side ( mainly during winter ). If you are interested I can give you an idea of cost for a custom harness for your kit. I also make simple DC distro built in.

I you are interested let me know.

Speaking of "new radio mic set"...

this from AT (not typically one of our usual suspects for wireless, but very big in other corners of the audio arena) their all digital system (no portable RX, but we are not their target market)

" This fully digital wireless unit operates in the license-free 2.4 GHz band, and offers 24-bit / 48 kHz audio – resulting in audio reproduction free of companding and interference effects possible with analog wireless transmission. The simple system appearance conceals a sophisticated RF transmission scheme, consisting of a mix of frequency, time, and space diversity. "

http://www.churchpro...tm_medium=email

"This fully digital wireless unit operates in the license-free 2.4 GHz band..."

Yikes -- right on top of 802.11 Wi-Fi! I bet this will either wreak havoc with somebody trying to use Wi-Fi, or the Wi-Fi could potentially interfere with the wireless mic transmission.

Newer Wi-Fi bands like 802.11n can use 5MHz instead of 2.4MHz, which could eliminate this problem.

Sony digital wireless mics (DWX series):

~ dual receivers.

~ 75 mhz switching band width.

~ literature claims 16 channels can be used in an 8mhz band.

~ remote tx control.

~ AES output.

~ could be used with sony output adapter or db connector like pascal's (as they are designed to drop in the slot of camcorders).

~ weather sealed.

~ c. £/$2000 per channel (you have to buy channels in pairs of course but this puts in the same price range as lectro SRb and cheaper than 411a).

Although not much penetration into the US market i'm guessing the price of these has dropped because they are being made in large volumes for use by ENG shooters and studio facilities elsewhere.

richard meredith (uk) would be a good person to speak to regarding this kit - i'd be interested to know what the performance is like with remote antennae for example.

if i had the money (over £3500 per channel) i'd go for a wisycom/sennheiser combo for the switching bandwidth - sky has invested heavily in wisycom sets for their crews. but the digital sonys look on paper to be reasonable option to consider.

dan (in no way representing sony).

~ dual receivers.

~ remote tx control.

~ AES output.

~ could be used with sony output adapter or db connector like pascal's (as they are designed to drop in the slot of camcorders).

~ weather sealed.

~ c. £/$2000 per channel (you have to buy channels in pairs of course but this puts in the same price range as lectro SRb and cheaper than 411a).

Although not much penetration into the US market i'm guessing the price of these has dropped because they are being made in large volumes for use by ENG shooters and studio facilities elsewhere.

richard meredith (uk) would be a good person to speak to regarding this kit - i'd be interested to know what the performance is like with remote antennae for example.

if i had the money (over £3500 per channel) i'd go for a wisycom/sennheiser combo for the switching bandwidth - sky has invested heavily in wisycom sets for their crews. but the digital sonys look on paper to be reasonable option to consider.

dan (in no way representing sony).

Richard really rates the Sony system - he's been on here before singing it's praises!

I can attest that the Wisy/Senny combo is absolutely fantastic. It's just prohibitively expensive.

The digital system of the Sony is very interesting, especially for us in Europe. Furthermore, the possibility to use the digital output in the receivers would send the signal directly to the digital inputs of the 788T without loss of quality.

Sergio.

AND reduced latency.

For me, in this time and place, if i have to replace my current system tomorrow the main thing after quality and reliability would be the switching bandwidth (over range for example).

As much as i like lectro (i have 2 x 411a) they are currently no where near (at 24mhz) that kind of flexibility (larry has explained why they have chosen not to go that way).

Audio ltd are doing a drop in receiver (Cx2) version of the En2 which has 75mhz SBW but the Tx is has only 24mhz (seems strange, as i understood the difficult part of having wide SBW was with the filter at the receiver end so maybe they will work on the Tx in the near future).

And other than the 'extreme bandwidth' (c.232mhz) of the wisycom system i think it's only the sennheiser g2000 series (75mhz) that gives you that much flexibility in a portable (bag) system. And only the sonys and wisycom have a display easily viewable when in a bag.

Being able to squeeze 16 channels into 8mhz (DWX) which is often all any given country in europe will allow you to play in is advantageous, having a system that can travel with 75mhz SWB is equally advantageous in my opinion.

Having said that, being digital with switchable AES O/Ps (and remote Tx control) is also very nice - if you've got a sonosax miniR82 knocking around you could even make a very small 8 track wireless recorder set up.

let us all know which way you go Sergio.

atb,

dan.

AND reduced latency.

For me, in this time and place, if i have to replace my current system tomorrow the main thing after quality and reliability would be the switching bandwidth (over range for example).

As much as i like lectro (i have 2 x 411a) they are currently no where near (at 24mhz) that kind of flexibility (larry has explained why they have chosen not to go that way).

Audio ltd are doing a drop in receiver (Cx2) version of the En2 which has 75mhz SBW but the Tx is has only 24mhz (seems strange, as i understood the difficult part of having wide SBW was with the filter at the receiver end so maybe they will work on the Tx in the near future).

And other than the 'extreme bandwidth' (c.232mhz) of the wisycom system i think it's only the sennheiser g2000 series (75mhz) that gives you that much flexibility in a portable (bag) system. And only the sonys and wisycom have a display easily viewable when in a bag.

Being able to squeeze 16 channels into 8mhz (DWX) which is often all any given country in europe will allow you to play in is advantageous, having a system that can travel with 75mhz SWB is equally advantageous in my opinion.

Having said that, being digital with switchable AES O/Ps (and remote Tx control) is also very nice - if you've got a sonosax miniR82 knocking around you could even make a very small 8 track wireless recorder set up.

let us all know which way you go Segio.

atb,

dan.

The new Audio Wireless have an impressive bandwidth as well...

be careful here what you wish for with digital inputs.

when i got my qrx100's i tried with the digital inputs on my 788. all good.

except that i cannot use the 788's limiter - this is normal for the 788's digital input, and is one of the reasons why i went back to the analog inputs for my receiver.

also if you are using the digital ins, you are tied in to pairs, which means that if you use a qrx in mono mode on pair 1&2, but coming in on fader 1, you cannot have another digital source on fader 2.

the nomad's digital ins, currently (or at least last time i tried several months ago) dont let you use a HPF or the notch filters available to you on the analog channels. this may yet change for both machines though.

regarding the delay. you actually increase the delay when going through the digital ins - apparently due to the sample rate conversion. last time i tested this on my 788, it was 2ms added.

so whilst eliminating analog ins may seem a good idea, for me, i lose a lot of flexibility by using it.

"without loss of quality. "

what loss of quality..? have you ever experienced this..?? it is so trivial, and other reasons for staying digital ( or not!) are far more compelling.

" I can attest that the WISY/Senn combo is absolutely fantastic. It's just prohibitively expensive. "

can also use WISY/Schoeps, and as I just said in another thread:

the premium stuff comes at premium $$

I can attest that the Wisy/Senny combo is absolutely fantastic

Do you mean TX Senny 5212-II plus RX Wysicom ?

I have used (and will use it next week) the combi 5212-II plus Lectro venue, works pretty good, even if I prefer the Lectro TX (as regards to key test)

Do you mean TX Senny 5212-II plus RX Wysicom ?

I have used (and will use it next week) the combi 5212-II plus Lectro venue, works pretty good, even if I prefer the Lectro TX (as regards to key test)

Yes. Used them on a reality show with 14 cast mics and had 3 SennyTX/WisyRX camera hops running frequencies within the block being used by the talent mics with absolutely no issues. Very impressive.

• 2 weeks later...

~ dual receivers.

~ remote tx control.

~ AES output.

~ weather sealed.

I had a closer look at the DWX system last week. I tested the bodypack transmitter with a line input from a field mixer and a rack mounted version of the receiver.

The biggest issue with this system would be the construction quality of the transmitters. Just to be clear, I don't think that they might easily fail internally. Sony is usually very, very good with that sort of thing. The antenna connection and weather sealing, however, were not all that impressive. It seemed to me that it wouldn't take much to break the antenna connection. The dealer told me that they could take a moderate amount of beating and that previously only unit at a theatre in Sweden had to be replaced because of a completely broken antenna connector.

Also there are that many accessories available and, according to the manual, the lavalier mic choices are limited to DPA 4063 and COS-11D and Sony's own lav mics.

The DWX system is obviously aimed primarily for use in fixed installations. They have sold a few big installations to Scandinavian and German theatres. It worth noting that Sony did win the bid to suppy digital wireless mics to the national broadcasting company here in Finland.

The sound quality was absolutely amazing. The wireless link was practically 100% transparent and I'd be hard to tell the difference between the wireless and wired connection in a blind test. I didn't have the time to test for range or interference. I did try putting a condenser mic (AKG CK93) very close to the transmitter and there was some mild "digital noise" on the signal when I put it directly at the base of the antenna (within 5-10 centimeters or so). At greater distances there were no spray issues in my test.

Overall, I was quite impressed. Personally, I am trying to decide between Sony DWX, Lectrosonics SRb adapter and the Audio Ltd CX-2. This would be for use as a 2-channel camera hop system (semi-)permanently installed in an Ambient V-Slot adapter on a Scarlet-X. The Sony receiver would be mounted on the back of linkable Paglink batteries.

In my opinion the sound quality of Sony is unrivalled just like the durability and construction quality of Lectrosonics system is. Audio Ltd CX-2 would be an economical choice for me, since I already have an EN2 transmitter.

I have also considered Zaxcom, but the ergonomic benefits of a slot-in style receiver are a significant factor in this particular purchase decision. Wisycom is also attractive, but I find it hard to justify the price when comparing it to Lectrosonics or Sony DWX which are in the same price range.