reverberhate

filippo toso

Hi all, this is my first post here. i'm Filippo i'm a location sound mixer from Italy. Today i've done a job in a photographer's studio. It had very high and reverberant ceiling, and same were the sides. But the setting of the story was a fortune teller's tend, the most unecoich room! I've put all the fabric i could all around and than used both boom and radio. But after that i could still hear the reverberation from the radiomic. I was using a sanken cos 11 and an mkh50. Should have been a better solution use a less sensitive capsule? or a more directional mic like a shotgun (phase cancellation??)? And now the most critical point, there are some plugins used in post that could help in this situation? I can think about a gate but i wuold still have reverberation in the middle of the speech. Sorry for my bad english, Filippo

Unveil is very promising. I ran some otherwise too-wet stuff through it and the results were much better than using a multiband expander... much less blurring during the words, as well as removing the reverb from pauses.

It's still in Beta, and tuning it is much more complicated than traditional plugins... you have to read the manual and know something about speech. But it will help.

HOWEVER, it's not as good as having the right acoustics in the first place. And it's not really tight like a properly rigged lav.

Please don't tell production about it, or else they won't even give us time to put up blankets, and insist on doing everything tight+wide. And for heavens sake, DON'T TELL ANY DPs. Or else they'll start telling the director how the sound should be mixed.

my setup, without knowing UNVEIL, would be:

- eq (find the main freq. of the tail)

- a Transient Designer like SPL (as UNVEIL also affects transients) , adding more attack and reducing the release

- izotope rx advanced (find the tail in the spectrum)

Good luck

ps:

just checked UNVEIL's demo video.

sound promising,

but the technology of using phase cancellation sounds quite "phasey" aka unnatural to me when used heavily.....

• 3 weeks later...

Phase cancellation? We do none of that in UNVEIL...where did you get that notion from? Also, we don't do any transient designer type processing, all we do is *bypass* some transients to allow for heavier processing without losing crispness.

UNVEIL actually uses pattern recognition and de-mixing to do what it does.

At any rate, please do not judge the sound quality based on YouTube videos - the YoutUbe audio codec may be causing what you're not liking. There's a free trial version available at the Zynaptiq site that you can use to get an idea of what the results are like.

Cheers,

Denis @zynaptiq