744t question...

PLo128

I'm trying to use input 1 fader to control the level of my mono mix on track A. I have nothing going into input 1; however I'm using input 2 for my boom going to tracks A and B. I'm using a heavy as hell bag setup with a DVPro mix 6 to fade my lavs on inputs 3/4 tracks C/D.

Basically I want to control my mono mix separately from my isos but I can't seem to figure this out with the manual.

Thanks again--at the rate I'm working now I'm bound to provide more helpful answers on this board than rookie questions!

You can NOT use the fader of input 1 if there is no input.(the fader works on 'Mic IN' only) Fader and track assignment: two different things.What you want is everything on track B,C and D summed to track A,wright?And than use input 1 fader as mono mix control.Will not work on a 744....Sorry.David C

If I understand correctly, you want to do a mono mix of Tracks B, C, and D and control that mix's level with the ch 1 input pot, right?

A workaround would be to set Output 1 L source to Tracks BCD (if that's possible - I think it is, but not 100% sure). Then connect that output to Input 1, routed to Track A. Of course, that's just a fixed mix with tracks B, C, and D at unity.

Output 1 R source could be set to Track A and sent to camera hop, IFB, or anyone else who wants to hear a mix. And you'd still have the unsymmetric Output 2 left.

Yep.It's a recorder that was introduced 8 years ago.Idiotproof 4 trackrecorder.Not ALL the features nowadays recorders have...But I still love it!Using the 'tape out'(L or R) with track BCD routed to tape out might work for a mono,uncontrolled (faderwise)signal (BUT you control your boom and mixer on faders!!):get a minijack to XLR male cable and try it out!! Might work..?!I guess the Mono m'mix' is for scratch;post can use your iso's ,so no worries.Good luck,David Carmiggelt ,Production soundmixer Amsterdam.

It's a great piece of gear for its age, tho if any of my 3 isos run hot it would have been nice to have a slightly lower monomix to cherry pick from. And yes, I agree that creating mixes when possible is good practice regardless of the production.

It is not a mix,it's a sum: you are leveling your Iso's to 2 designated tracks.When turnaround is quick they (Post) will use those (summed) tracks as 'the sound' and will use the Iso's in case of emergency.It is impossible to level track AND make a monomix while in 'Run and gun'..

Plo 128: The monomix is NOT going to make any of your Iso's less hot...Monomix is what you send from your B track and from your CD tracks.Hot is on your input ( gain etc) and in a normal situation not on your output!In other words: something that has an overmodulation on your input cannot be repaired on a lowervolume track..But the 744 has a very good limiter!!

The input 1 + 2 pots control input only, mic or line. The 744T can mix but by combining tracks at the level they are post the inputs (where 3/4 have no local level control except in the menu), and output separate mixes to tracks, the 2 output buses and the monitor bus. You could send your boom mic directly to 744 input 1 instead of your mixer, and do your monitoring in the recorder.

philp

Mike...age.It's a recorder that doesn't do a mixdown to say 2 seperate tracks for a mono/stereo mix for post.It's just a nice 4 track recorder,and that's fine with me!

It can make a few separate mixes at once, and record them or output them. It's a lot more than just a recorder and a lot more versatile than some folks give it credit for. There really are a lot of routing options, enough that I don't feel like I need a mixer so much anymore for small gigs.

philp

On my 774 I always use (routingwise) "input 1 goes to A,2 goes to B,3 goes to C and 4 goes to D"eventhough I have an 8 In/out mixer ...So Philip,us being 'The last of the Mohicans' of this very fine,reliable machine:thanks for the new info!I started on a Nagra 4.2 ( 2 ch IN,mono recording),and still now,with Boom and many wireless receivers etc,I don't have a feeling I need more than 4 tracks ( TV Drama/cart)I Mix....! David C

I use more chan than 4 sometimes but in that case it seems to be a lot more than 4 (or eight chan). Using 2 744s together (CLink) is ok for once in a while things.

I started on a Sony TC 500A (tubes!), Uher 4000L (1 mic in) and a Nagra III (also 1 mic in), but don't miss them other than the fact they looked cool.

philp

All of a sudden, despite how old my kids make me out to be, I feel like a very young 43.

I bought an early 744T as my first recorder, and talked my first few producers into trusting files over DAT tapes. I escaped ever having to own a DAT machine (although I was forced to rent/borrow one a few times for a TV show who still produced dailies from the 1st unit mixer's DAT back-up).

I never owned a Nagra either, although I have bid on several "spy" Nagras on eBay, hoping to have one to decorate my desk.

We scratched i's and o's into mud tablets when I first started. Didn't get zeros and ones until after Rome fell. And the Teamsters had to wait hours while we baked them hard before we handed them off.

We had steam-powered sound back in the day. My arms were very sore, just shoveling in coal to keep the session going.

Which somehow reminds me of our old post joke in the 1980s: the manure from clients would roll in the front of the building, and finished network sitcoms would roll out the back, kind of like turning sh!t to shinola.