Advice Needed for Configuring five Adam A3X & Sub7 for 5.1 Surround Monitoring

Ashok Vardhan

Hello Gurus, I recently invested in five Adam A3X monitors and a Sub7 to build my 5.1 monitoring setup. Given that Sub7 does not have a dedicated connection for a LFE input, I am looking for some suggestions, and advice on how I can configure these monitors as a 5.1 surround setup. I use the UAD Apollo as my main interface to mix in the box.

post-4135-0-32549900-1352391860_thumb.jp

post-4135-0-47365600-1352391978_thumb.gi

I would assume that you could just plugin your LFE track straight into one of the inputs on the SUB, It looks like internally it sums the lower crossedover audio from the L and R and spits out the upper through the XLR outs. So just ignore all the other i/o and use it like any other single input sub.

There are a couple different surround track orders:

L, C, R, Ls, Rs, LFE

The ITU Standard, L, R, C, LFE, Ls, Rs

and I'm sure there are a couple others… just make sure your daw is set the same as your speaker outs

I would assume that you could just plugin your LFE track straight into one of the inputs on the SUB, It looks like internally it sums the lower crossedover audio from the L and R and spits out the upper through the XLR outs.

Those were my exact first thoughts as well, however, I was wondering, since the summing amplifier inside takes the LR inputs channel and sums them into an output that is heard as audio, would that mean, if I use just one input (that comes directly from the LFE out) from the UAD Apollo, I would have to compensate on the output level? If so how much?

• 2 weeks later...

This is why with my Adam A7X setup I went with a JBL sub instead of the Adam. Technically you should have bass management across all speakers plus LFE, needing 6 inputs. Genlec has LCR and LFE for a total of 4 inputs. I'm guessing that Adam and Genlec just figured if you really want to do it right you need something like a Martin ontroller, or Grace, or like an SSL 900 that has this bass management built in.

I mix in a room that has M&K Professional speakers. The entire 5.1 signals run through an M&K processor that puts the lows 80 Hz and below into the sub, as these M&K don't do anything under 80.

I highly recommend you take a look around the Blue Sky website and read the articles they have, particularly this one: http://abluesky.com/...ion-test-files/

Also, the Dangerous Monitor with SR provides for accurate and repeatable mix level settings, monitor and speaker control, etc.

Mark O.