Chris Lange

I'm planning a Lectro wireless kit for use in Australia and I'm trying to work out what blocks to buy.

My planned setup is talent SMQV (max 6) going to SR receivers in the bag, and then two SMQV for camera hop going to another SR on camera.

The setup will be based in Canberra, but used Australia wide.

So far I'm thinking about block 24 for talent and block 26 for hops, and maybe IFB on block 21.

Anyone with Australia Lectro experience let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Chris

Best to check digital tv state by state; theres a federal govt web site with all the info There are plenty of surprises if you need more than two or three in a block. What is good in Sydney may not be so great up on Barrier Reef. Blocks 28 and 26 are ok "most" places. If you can spread "the love" a little it can help out.

I have toured shows with these systems to most parts. Pm if you want more info.

I have my IFB in 21 and there has been no probs there.

Thanks for the replies everyone

Based on your feedback and digital TV allocations, I'm thinking I'll swap the blocks for talent and hops so I have:

4x SMQV and 2x SR on Block 26 for talent

2x SMQV and SR on Block 24 for cam hop

IFB on Block 21

If I need additional talent wireless I might get them on another block to spread them out - Block 23 maybe?

You might want to check with some of the local soundies. In Queensland everyone seems to be using blk 24 for IFB and 25 and up for talent and links. This seems to work especially when you need a couple of extra IFBs or talent transmitters quickly you can get them in the right block from another local soundie rather than wait for equipment to be shipped to you.

• 1 year later...

Hi Chris,

On the ACMA website the info you want is titled "Wireless microphones -

Spectrum for plug and play users:

Melbourne and surrounds"

Cheers, Lloyd

David, There's some discussion on the FB group: "Australian Sound Recordists and Boom Op's".

Are you in that group?

"What is everyone going to do with their block 24 gear in the next few months when SBS take over the airspace in inner Melbourne?"

Haven't heard anything along those lines...?

Source? And where are you located? It may be that digital TV is being re-stacked in your region and will cause you interference.

I've been covering a few shifts on channel 9's the block lately and have heard that from several of the guys there.

I am enclined to trust their word although I can't verify their sources.

David, There's some discussion on the FB group: "Australian Sound Recordists and Boom Op's".

Are you in that group?

"What is everyone going to do with their block 24 gear in the next few months when SBS take over the airspace in inner Melbourne?"

I am not on facebook at all because of personal concerns that I won't bore anyone with. However, that group sounds really useful. Enough to forego my opinions ?

Its a Closed Group with an Australian focus so I believe that things you write are only seen by other Soundos or Boom Ops in the group. 

JWSOUND forum is better of course but the FB group is useful for local chat.  

Hey gang, this was posted fairly recently on the FB group which I found extremely useful (thanks to Brian Reynolds), it's the Jands Shure wireless freq guide which shows what's going on in the major cities around Australia.

Here's the original link, and the PDF attached is the same thing that I edited to include the rough Lectro blocks (down the bottom)

Cheers,

David

Jands Shure Australian Frequency Guide.pdf