jwsound running slowly since chat?

pverrando

I did a comlete restart soon after Jeff suggested it last night, well before he disabled chat. My problem went away completely . I haven't restarted this machine in months, so probably a good thing to do. Especially after using www.1channel.ch to watch episodes of Homeland and Breaking Bad. The dark side of the interwebs.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently this "Chat" doesn't like Apple G5, 10.4.11 and Safari 4.1.3

Works fine on intel mac.

I might have to break down and buy a PC with Windows.

Should not be a problem with any version of Safari. I assume you have emptied the browser cache, re-started and all those things, and Chat bar still does not show?

Is there a way to disable the chat? I am on TenFourFox on my old Powerbook G4 from 2005, because my MBP just recently died.

http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/

I can`t see the switch for the chat like I used to see on Firefox.

Looked in the board preferences but can`t find anything to disable.

The browser is trying to load the chat and after a minute I get an error message. When I go to the next page or press reload it starts all over.

I know that this is an outdated machine but I don`t have any alternative to this and the common browsers are too slow on this machine.

Thanks for your help - this is a great forum and a huge source for knowledge!

Cheers Christian

Edit: the text in the box says:

A script on this page is either busy or does not respond. Do you want to stop it or continue?

post-1308-0-91192500-1353686689_thumb.pn

To Christian regarding ancient browsers: I will look into whether I can disable Chat individually for just one user --- I don't think this is possible since it is as feature that is available site-wide for everyone. I understand that if Chat bar does not display at all for you there is no way for you to hit the Hide button (and I'm not sure that hiding it would even stop it from trying to load on your machine). I'm not sure if there are any options on my end to solve your problem. You should investigate if you have anything newer you could use to access JWSOUND; other than that suggestion, I'm not sure what I could do.

Thanks for your reply! It is actually the Mac, that is ancient - not the browser.

From the above mentioned TenFourFox page:

Tuned for your operating system and processor.

Why is this TenFourFox and not Firefox? Because even though it uses the Firefox code base, it's not Firefox. It uses code tuned for 10.4 (and compatible with 10.5), adds new PowerPC-specific improvements and restores the glue necessary to get most of modern Firefox's advanced features working on our older computers, offered in separately hand-tuned builds for G3, G4/7400, G4/7450 and G5 processors to get the most from your specific computer.

Nevertheless, it's still almost all the same code as today's Firefox and has nearly all the same features, including dramatically faster Javascript, WebM video, compatibility with most Firefox add-ons, and HTML 5 and CSS 3 support. You'll find TenFourFox significantly faster overall than Firefox 3.6, yet it supports so many more new and emerging Web features that your dear old Power Mac will still be able to do what you need online for years to come.

Maybe you could block me from the chat - that is a new feature in arrowchat?

Thank`s for the effort!

Cheers

Christian

I will look into individual blocking but I'm not sure that would solve your specific problem anyway. Since arrowchat is actually a standalone software program built with php and javascript, integrated into the forum pages with html, it is designed to display and be available for everyone on the site. If arrowchat is hanging up the loading of any and all pages for you, this will continue to be a problem. I am surprised that there is any difficulty now that you have explained the TenFourFix browser is essentially Firefox since we have not had any problems with Firefox.

fyi: chat is still not working for safari 6.0.2 or chrome 23.0.1271.64, on osx 10.8.2

Quite surprising because I am on OSX 10.8.2 and Safari 6.0.2 and it is all working perfectly on 3 different Macs, Safari, Chrome, Camino, Firefox, etc. It is possible that the browser cache is still holding the page when Chat was not installed (I was working on it) and in Safari now it is not as easy to empty the cache. You have to go to Safari preferences > advance > show Developer in Menu. If you haven't emptied the cache, try that.

weird. I've dumped the cache and rebooted even.

Can't explain that. Any chance that it is something simple like the size of the window you are displaying the page on the screen? The Chat Bar should be visible and functional always right at the bottom of your browser window and stays there even as you scroll the page (behind) the bar.