jwsound running slowly since chat?

pverrando

It may be net congestion or perhaps my macbook pro, but this week I'm experiencing a lot of lag time and pinwheels when browsing this site, it seems since the chat was initiated. For a couple of days, I was also perplexed by a random"donk" sound eminating from my mac, until I realized it was jwsound chat announcing a visitor or whatever.

verrando

I think any slow down that people have experienced (and I have had some problems over the last day or so) has nothing to do with the new Chat feature/function. I believe it relates to some server re-balancing that the hosting company actually alerted me to. In any case, "turing off chat" is not really something that users can do --- you can HIDE chat so that you don't see it or have to interact with it, but if chat were the problem it wouldn't help speed up things on your end. Even if you hide it, the chat module is running and doing its thing for everyone whether they have hidden it or not.

There is one thing that anyone can try and that is logging out and quitting your browser, then log back in --- this often speeds things up. Do not, however, empty your cache, that will almost certainly slow things down.

I'm just guessing here, but since different browsers handle javascript differently (and IIRC, the script Jeff's using is written in JS), it might help to mention our platform and browser when we report our qualitative performance. Platform because Safari on Mac seems to handle JS much more efficiently than Safari on iOS.

Me: No problem with JWS these last few days. Checked in 2-3 times a day.

Safari 5.1.7 on a Mac (can check Windows, Linux, other browsers later).

Good luck, Jeff

I may consider de-activating chat for a day or so to see if anyone sees an improvement in the speed of loading pages. So, if chat goes away at some point I would like to hear from people if they notice any difference.

Sounds like a good idea. Ever since the chat was introduced, page loading went from about 2 seconds to better than 10 seconds with a pop up that said: "JWsoundgroup is not responding"

Eric

Load speed of the "unread threads" page is still a bit slower than before on my PC (XP SP3 Firefox), and scrolling is very sluggish. Seems as if the site needs some more time to react to scroll commands or clicks.

+1. If at all possible the speed is either the same as it was with Chat or a bit slower.

Eric

I've never experienced this thing you all call "chat". It has never revealed itself to me. I'm using Chrome or Safari and chat has yet to be seen by me.

Anyone else not seeing it?

If you look above your posting you;ll see that Jeff has turned off chat for a day or two to try and fix a slowloading issue.

Eric

I'm running Safari 6.0.2 and haven't really seen the reported slowdown (or any change once turing off Chat). As for Miles not seeing Chat at all, I'm pretty sure it appeared quite prominently at the bottom of the page, a bar that stretches across with icons to the far right to activate chat and chat room, etc.

I think it will be coming back soon, so you can watch for it.