Bag cart build ideas

AndyB

I'm new to this bag cart concept. But I like the pictures and the ingenuity.

Why not just get something like a Rock N Roller cart with a shelf. Load up the gear and go?

Kevin, what did you use for you shelves and shelf supports?

Where did you get them?

The shelves are made from plastic peg board. the angle aluminum, from Home Depot or Lowes.

I bought a Ruxxac foldable handtruck and added a shelf. It has been on rough terrain (mountains, prairies of Kyrgystan) for 6 weeks in a row and it held up pretty well. It's lightweight and folds down to a little package of about 7 kg.. Agreed, I need a more sophisticated way to mount my antenna mast.

post-191-0-54265300-1354626125_thumb.jpg

Here's my trusty bag cart built in 1996, still in regular use today.

I had a welder simply cut about 12 inches from the height of a standard $30 hand or sack cart so it would fit in the trunk of my car.

He fabricated a hinged frame that drops down and sits level, which I filled with plywood and closed cell foam to create the bag shelf.

He added a box bar so my plastic bin would be spaced out from the frame so the lid can be taken on and off. The bin is simply secured by a bungee which also serves to hold the shelf up against the frame for storage or the ability to use it as a hand truck.

I have fashioned pieces of plastic plumbing pipe with an end stopper and a threaded cap for storage and transportation of my short boom pole and to rest the boom with the mic on it on set. I also added a hook for cables.

All up a cost of about $100 with a repaint every couple of years, it has and still serves me well for stand up bag days with a very small footprint.

• 7 months later...

I had a sack barrow kicking about – a few pieces of sheet steel and a few L brackets later it produced this contraption. The bag sits on a shelf and is clipped on, the mixer originally sat on a shelf, but is now bolted to the cart. The black bag at the back holds batteries and wireless. The bottom case is my radio case, which is held on in transit by a bungee cord, and the blue bag is my general bag, held on with a pair of clips. The pole is held on the right by a part from a hoover, supported at the bottom by a part on the side of the blue bag. 

Fits easy in the car (although it's a big car), goes easily around corners, up stairs – very manoeuvrable.

post-2832-0-91647900-1375018417_thumb.pn

post-2832-0-77364200-1375018358_thumb.jp

The mini cart I've been using for a while is a bag based cart.  It takes me about 1 minute to switch over from cart to bag, maybe a little longer when going back to cart mode.  I can also place the bag upright on the top shelf and mix standing up or boom from that position as well.

Note that this cart is really for day playing - I wouldn't load it onto a truck for longer projects.

I have thought of building another and using milk crates for drawers.  It would make the whole cart super light and I wouldn't worry about it getting beat up.

post-146-0-28251200-1375028784_thumb.jpg

Greg, that is truly a good looking cart! I'm curious as to what you used as a base?

8020 aluminum

8020.net

Beautiful cart! It's going up in the Gallery of Sound Carts today.

Thanks Jeff.  Here it is in bag mode:

http://jwsound.smugmug.com/Other/jwsoundcarts/19050493_cfMmRQ#!i=1997157984&k=QWbmRDw&lb=1&s=O

This is a cart I have built for bag use. The cart and basket are from Home Depot. The wheels and bucket are from Tractor Supply Co. I had a welder create an axle to accommodate the 10 inch wheels. There are small casters under the bucket that lock to keep it from rolling about. The basket holds my rig at the perfect height ( for 5' 7" me) to mix while standing and occaisionally boom at the same time. The basket holds my rig and the bucket holds spare batteries and such.post-397-0-12856800-1375060624_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

Reviving this thread!!

There are so many good ideas out there...and it seems like a lot of people are in need of more compact and transportable bag-carts solutions these days....at least in my world!

Here's a nice accessory that can basically be "the cart" when paring it with a stand. You can then attach your antennas and monitor/s to that same stand. Or put a boom boy on the stand for those sit down interviews while having the bag on the shelf...lots of options with just a shelf and a stand.

http://www.rabbitav.com/rabbitav/Sound_Shelf.html

• 3 weeks later...

Bumped into this interesting lightweight folding cart. 

http://www.amazon.com/8-way-Converta-truck-Convertible-Hand-Truck/dp/B00ELPYIZ8/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1392965164&sr=8-16&keywords=magliner+folding

Doesn't look super sturdy but it is very modular and i'm sure it will hold a bag and some other bits & pieces...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...