Bag cart build ideas

AndyB

Hey guys, I used this thread as a basis for how I would build my own bag cart. After browsing Home Depot, I came up with this. Heavy duty shelving brackets, nylon pegboard, steel frame handtruck, PVC and 5/16 hex bolts. I would like to extend the bottom lip and maybe add a second shelf. Also I had swapped out the solid neverflat tires with pneumatic ones. This thing feels rock solid.

post-6982-0-74955500-1398721161_thumb.jp

post-6982-0-46113800-1398721585_thumb.jp

• 8 months later...

I know this thread hasn't been looked at since about April of last year but I thought I would add my little cart rig I made not too long ago. It's a simple Roughneck fold up hand truck I bought at Northern Tool for around $80.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200586484_200586484

Added some hooks from Home Depot to hold cables. Attached them in a way so that when it folds, the hooks fold flat on to the hand truck. 

Added some PVC base and a flexible PVC coupling for the top, all to hold a boom pole. Not completely happy with this and would like something more like a Toolflex holder if I could get a good place to get it here in Florida or online. 

One of the things I love the most about this setup is how compact it folds in my Ford Escape. leaves me so much more room to pack my gear bag, ditty bag, c-stand for a boom holder, another egg crate for misc. stuff and other odds and ends i bring to some jobs. 

post-1-0-78052800-1420750389_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-70299200-1420750429_thumb.jpg

post-815-0-29613700-1420749229_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure why 2 of the photos are submitted side ways like that. They all should be the same orientation as the first one. Sorry for that. Maybe someone can tell me how to fix it here on JWsound. 

It happens usually because photos are taken with a smartphone in landscape orientation vs. portrait and this orientation is stored in the metadata of the image. It cannot be corrected once posted on JWSOUND but I usually fix it for our members when it happens by copying the photo to my computer, changing the orientation, saving it and then re-uploading it.

Watch this space.

It happens usually because photos are taken with a smartphone in landscape orientation vs. portrait and this orientation is stored in the metadata of the image. It cannot be corrected once posted on JWSOUND but I usually fix it for our members when it happens by copying the photo to my computer, changing the orientation, saving it and then re-uploading it.

Watch this space.

I tried changing the orientation on my computer and it uploaded the same exact way. No worries. Thanks. I normally only like shooting in landscape as a widescreen picture but I wanted people to see more of the length of it that I figured a portrait view could showcase better. 

Watch this space.

Thanks for the picture fix Jeff. 

• 1 month later...

this is my latest mini bag cart. as always a work in process. i have a maxi bag cart that is more heavy duty that i use when grip trucks and larger crews are on the job. a filmtools magliner mod that i will try to post pics of when i get a chance. for the smaller stuff, this is the cart i have been using. been modifying it slowly over time. used to be a folding cart with removable shelf but i decided to lock it down at the base with L brackets cut to fit the base plate contours. what i like about this cart is is still pretty light weight, the shelves are adjustable/removable and the cart still colapses to stay compact for the back of smaller SUV's. i say shelves plural as i am planning to add a 2nd shelf for a solice mini based on the plastic pegboard and aluminum angle combos posted here by JW and a few others - thanks for the tips on that! took me for ever to find the pegboard, assumed other stores would have it but seems to be a home depot exclusive item in these parts of the country.

added rotating hooks with pipe clamps that also rotate position with the handles on the cart. the handles fold in and the hooks are at the back. a happy accident!

the shelf is a filmtools / magliner keyboard shelf that i modified for this cart. used aluminum square tube to brace at the back plus shelf brackets that have been customized to fit under as supports. slides freely up and down for custom height adjustments on the fly and allows great support for a heavy bag.

the icing on the cart cake for me is the rear bin. yes indeed it is a drywall mud pan. it works perfect for my stand bag that holds 3 booms, a boom stand and a camping chair (no way would i be without a chair!) but also is great for booms built out of the stand bag, other stands, etc. leaves room for extra stuff.

-Ken

post-2171-0-40472500-1423534244_thumb.jp

post-2171-0-09890200-1423534267_thumb.jp

post-2171-0-93973800-1423534287_thumb.jp

post-2171-0-96620200-1423534308_thumb.jp

post-2171-0-39168500-1423534325_thumb.jp

post-2171-0-04662600-1423534361_thumb.jp

post-2171-0-58705400-1423534379_thumb.jp

post-2171-0-31282400-1423534403_thumb.jp

• 3 months later...

this is my latest mini bag cart. as always a work in process. i have a maxi bag cart that is more heavy duty that i use when grip trucks and larger crews are on the job. a filmtools magliner mod that i will try to post pics of when i get a chance. for the smaller stuff, this is the cart i have been using. been modifying it slowly over time. used to be a folding cart with removable shelf but i decided to lock it down at the base with L brackets cut to fit the base plate contours. what i like about this cart is is still pretty light weight, the shelves are adjustable/removable and the cart still colapses to stay compact for the back of smaller SUV's. i say shelves plural as i am planning to add a 2nd shelf for a solice mini based on the plastic pegboard and aluminum angle combos posted here by JW and a few others - thanks for the tips on that! took me for ever to find the pegboard, assumed other stores would have it but seems to be a home depot exclusive item in these parts of the country.

added rotating hooks with pipe clamps that also rotate position with the handles on the cart. the handles fold in and the hooks are at the back. a happy accident!

the shelf is a filmtools / magliner keyboard shelf that i modified for this cart. used aluminum square tube to brace at the back plus shelf brackets that have been customized to fit under as supports. slides freely up and down for custom height adjustments on the fly and allows great support for a heavy bag.

the icing on the cart cake for me is the rear bin. yes indeed it is a drywall mud pan. it works perfect for my stand bag that holds 3 booms, a boom stand and a camping chair (no way would i be without a chair!) but also is great for booms built out of the stand bag, other stands, etc. leaves room for extra stuff.

-Ken

Very nice. I love the shelf idea. I might borrow that idea for my cart if that's okay. :)

Thanks for all the great ideas folks. I have a PSC cart. I like it except for the front small casters on sidewalks. I would like to convert to some bigger pneumatic tires for the front , yet not sure what would work with keeping the standard rear wheels. Looked a a lot of the cart pictures and really don't see any. Any ideas ?

Thanks

Tom

• 5 months later...

I made a smaller cart for bag work and tight situations out of a nylon handtruck and some special shelves from home depot.  It has foldable hooks for hanging cables and for a canvas run bag.  I think it cost me around $100 to build.  I am quite happy with it and it supplements my other larger carts nicely.  It is suprisingly stable and lightweight.  I did reinforce the area where the shelf attaches with a square of marine grade plywood bolted to the nylon handtruck to distribute the load on the nylon structure.  It didn't add much weight and I have no issues in months of use.  I thought the shelf would be an issue, but the one I found has worked out great.  It locks completely, and has an unlocking mechanism that is proactically fool proof.  I safety the bag with some straps and caribiners when rolling around outside.  The run bag helps as a counter balance, but even with out it is suprisingly stable and doesn't tip easily.

563cfc42cd4c6_Bag_cart_with_688.thumb.jp563cfc6deb612_Bag_cart_folded_for_travel

cart = http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EUUZAUG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

shelves =http://www.homedepot.com/p/Knape-Vogt-16-in-Heavy-Duty-Folding-Shelf-Bracket-in-White-HD-206-16WH/203906172

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, Derek H said:

This has been helpful on some shoots. Though not a cart per se.

IMG_20151204_152446324

I have used one before. I own a small C-stand I use as a boom pole holder for sit-down interviews and I've used it with a platter from G&E. It's fallen over even with a sand bag on it. It will work if people are careful. I just rather use something a little less top heavy. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...