Tascam DR 100 MK II

Kemalettin Sert

Good productions maintain an equal balance of all elements from scripting, to production design, to acting, to yes, even sound.

Your productions will be out of balance. You'll be using 4k+ cameras w/VHS sound.

For low budget DSLR productions, an under $500 recorder is not a bad choice. For fully professional productions, you want a fully-equipped sound professional. They will likely have as much invested in their sound package as you do in the camera package you mentioned.

Balance.

If you could afford those cameras at least spring for a Sound Devices 702, you can find them pretty cheap used and will be much, much better than a little handheld recorder.

I'm also guessing in your $500 budget does not account for buying microphones etc...?

its for best setup for 500$ :) i ll get DR40 +good shotgun mic if its enough.Just dont want to end up buying highend of audio tech side because its endless.

Good productions maintain an equal balance of all elements from scripting, to production design, to acting, to yes, even sound.

Your productions will be out of balance. You'll be using 4k+ cameras w/VHS sound.

For low budget DSLR productions, an under $500 recorder is not a bad choice. For fully professional productions, you want a fully-equipped sound professional. They will likely have as much invested in their sound package as you do in the camera package you mentioned.

Balance.

i rent these cameras investing $3-5K on these equipment not sounds good for me.Sometimes i shoot for myself and that time i need audio.On sets of course its Sound guy's job.All i want is usable sound when i shoot for fun outside of work.There is no onboard mic on Red cameras :) and 5d mark III mic is worse than iphone sound.

i rent these cameras investing $3-5K on these equipment not sounds good for me.Sometimes i shoot for myself and that time i need audio.On sets of course its Sound guy's job.All i want is usable sound when i shoot for fun outside of work.There is no onboard mic on Red cameras :) and 5d mark III mic is worse than iphone sound.

Gotcha.

My best advice would be to contact one of the pro audio dealers such as TREW AUDIO (LA, Nashville), LOCATION SOUND CORP. (LA), GOTHAM SOUND (NY), PRO-SOUND (NY, New Orleans), ETC., and tell them what your needs are. Since there's more involved than just a recorder and a mic (wind protection, for instance), they can help set you up with a package that would meet your needs. While they deal a lot with high end gear, they also can help even at lower budgets.

So, given those conditions, you want something that will act as an on-cam mic?

In that case, for the price I concur with the advice of DR-40 and a shotgun (for instance the Rode videomic or NTG-1). The DR-40 can record 4 tracks, so both it's internal stereo mics for something close to the mics in a camera, and one or two connected mounted mics. I think it would be the best approach for this style and cost.

Follow John Blankenship's advice though and contact an audio dealer - they deal with this kind of thing regularly and know what works.

The pre-amps on most of the budget recorders just plain suck, but with a good mic and preamp front-end, feeding line-level signal, they can sound very good, at least that's my experience with the DR-40, the DR100mkII would be as good, and also has S/PDIF inputs if that's an option. NOTE: Beware of the Zoom H4N, as it's line-level input configuration is compromised to accept instrument level, and will distort if fed a +4dB (nominal) input.

Try not to get fixated on a specific budget until you have figured out what exactly is "usable sound" for your needs. A Sound Devices MixPre-D field mixer might be a more pragmatic initial investment than a hand held recorder even though it is a bit more expensive than $500. The onboard audio on RED cameras and DSLRs can be quite surprisingly good if a proper preamp is used with them.